•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Brexit is still the issue dominating this election, and will continue to do so until such time as it is resolved.

Caveat there is that those who feel strongly about Brexit have made up their minds and the undecided votes to be trawled are among those who couldn't give a toss.

Despite the healthy poll lead do I sense panic among Tory pundits about the party's Rugby League town strategy or whatever its fucking called? Even if Johnson doubles May's tally of taking Labour seats that adds up to 12. And not only do the Tories have BXP to worry about in tight marginals but the Greens and LDs gathered pace with dustbin voters in Labour Leave areas in council elections.

By Snowflake
Winegums wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:33 pm
as i understand it, lib dems don't parachute candidates into constituency seats. Fairly good chance we're going to see a HUMILIATION FOR LOSER CLEGG moment happening for Chukka in a few months/years.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/i ... spartanntp

Chukka obviously didn't fancy his chances in St Reatham, and is now contesting Cities of London and Westminster. The turf accountants still only appear to have him in second place, however.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Did somebody mention Chuckie? Is he really this thick?

Lib Dems Cannot Back Ex-Tory David Gauke Because He Cut Benefits, Chuka Umunna Says
Defector from Labour tells HuffPost UK that supporting the former Conservative cabinet minister would open Lib Dems up to attacks from his old party.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... re_twitter

By Snowflake
Luciana Berger on Sky news earlier stated that the Lib Dems would not decline to stand a candidate against him as he voted for a soft Brexit. Apart from the mixed messages, that does seem consistent to me. As far as I can gather, outside of the formal remain alliance it's just Dominic Grieve and Anna Soubry they are not opposing so far.
Last edited by Snowflake on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Snowflake wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:00 am
Winegums wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:33 pm
as i understand it, lib dems don't parachute candidates into constituency seats. Fairly good chance we're going to see a HUMILIATION FOR LOSER CLEGG moment happening for Chukka in a few months/years.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/i ... spartanntp

Chukka obviously didn't fancy his chances in St Reatham, and is now contesting Cities of London and Westminster. The turf accountants still only appear to have him in second place, however.
Well if that does happen then at least 'Doctor' Wino won't be able to crow about it on here.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Like Alastair Campbell, I, a Labour Party member of some 35 years, voted Lib Dem at the 2019 European Parliament elections. Unlike Alastair, I didn't get thrown out of the party for doing so.

Now we find ourselves with a Liberal Democrat party with a new leader, who is offering by far the clearest and simplest anti Brexit line of anyone - one which definitely trumps Labour's byzantine policy.

However, in recent memory the Liberal Democrat Party entered into a coalition government with the Tories, and helped directly to implement a raft of hideous, cruel, and devastating austerity policies that were often direct factors in the deaths of some of the most vulnerable people in society. I was appalled, and that is the word, utterly appalled, when Nick Clegg took the decision to join in coalition with Cameron. The party led by the late (and much missed) Charlie Kennedy, often more radical even than Labour, would have viewed such a move by Clegg and his fellow Orange-bookers as unconscionable (in fact I seem to recall that Charlie expressed that view himself before his death in 2015).

There is a problem. Which is that the Lib Dems have never properly owned their culpability for their connivance in delivering that austerity programme in government. And for many Labour people, that means they cannot be trusted not to do something similar again (though, correct me if I'm wrong, I think Swinson might have ruled out coalition with either the Tories or Labour under Corbyn).

I'm vastly more attracted to the Lib Dems' uncomplicated line on opposing Brexit than I am to Labour's absurd and contorted series of convolutions. I'd like to vote Lib Dem again - in my home constituency the Lib Dem candidate, a likeable, caring and hyperactive woman, needs to overturn the 34,000 Labour majority obtained in 2017 by Roger Godsiff, who you will be aware is now standing as an "independent" on what is to all intents and purposes a homophobia ticket, having taken a vain and petulant decsion to do so a the NEC deemed him unfit to stand again for Labour.

Here's the question: Are the Lib Dems sufficiently rehabilitated ?

By Malcolm Armsteen
First thing I learned about politics: that was then, this is now.
Andy McDandy liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Clegg and his fellow Orange-bookers as unconscionable
I've never read the Orange Book, but the idea of using competition to deliver progressive goals isn't at all bad, provided you've got somebody in charge that jumps off the train before it hits the buffers. The problem with the Clegg group was the embrace of austerity rather than their view of what the state might do and might not. Somebody on Twitter (Duncan Weldon?) described himself once as a "left neoliberal", and that struck me as a good place for the Lib Dems to be.

The problem with them is that they're basically useless and don't seem to do any work. They ought to have been ahead of the curve on broadband, saying "Openreach" isn't doing what we want, this is what they do in X, this what we'll do. They don't seem to be anywhere.
youngian liked this
2019 General Election

Parody, my arse - this is journalism. An extremel[…]

The Ma*l in microcosm. This is why we are where we[…]

Meanwhile in America

'Murica. It isn't all mass-shootings. Florida Cou[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Hero Jez could have handed over to someone better.