Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 73.5 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 5.9 % :grinning: 11.8 % 🧥 1.5 % 😟 1.5 % :cry: 1.5 % :shit: 2.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Corbyn is in a bit of hot water for pronouncing Jeffrey Epstein's name 'Epstine' instead 'Epsteen' which is apparently an antisemitic/xenophobic trope that no one has crystallised to me before but I can see it now someone has. Its a bit of a US thing and Corbyn like most UK people was using the same pronunciation as the Beatles manager used. Or he's an anti semite. I will revisit Young Frankenstein featuring a running gag on this subject which I now realise has been going over my head.
youngian wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:00 pm
Corbyn is in a bit of hot water for pronouncing Jeffrey Epstein's name 'Epstine' instead 'Epsteen' which is apparently an antisemitic/xenophobic trope that no one has crystallised to me before but I can see it now someone has. Its a bit of a US thing and Corbyn like most UK people was using the same pronunciation as the Beatles manager used. Or he's an anti semite. I will revisit Young Frankenstein featuring a running gag on this subject which I now realise has been going over my head.
Indeed, it is utter bollocks. The only other Epstein I can think of having been in the public eye, and for many decades longer, is Brian.

EDIT: Apologies, I hadn't see that the Youngster had made the same point, up-thread. Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Most of all, I have let myself down.
youngian wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:00 pm
Corbyn like most UK people was using the same pronunciation as the Beatles manager used.
According to Beatles biographer Mark Lewisohn (who is, coincidentally, himself Jewish), on first meeting the band, Brian Epstein emphasised that his preferred pronunciation was 'Epsteen', he felt 'Epstine' sounded "too Jewish". From that day forth, John Lennon took great care to pronounce it 'Epstine' to the point of 'correcting' journalists who pronounced it 'Epsteen'.
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm
Indeed, it is utter bollocks. The only other Epstein I can think of having been in the public eye, and for many decades longer, is Brian.
Not Epstein, but related. I watched a biog about Blondie a few months back in which songwriter/guitarist Chris Stein spoke of his fondness for the UK, because, amongst other things, 'we' pronounce his name "correctly". In the early days in the States, people sometimes expected there to be two women in the band, Debbie and Christine.
I watched a biog about Blondie a few months back in which songwriter/guitarist Chris Stein spoke of his fondness for the UK, because, amongst other things, 'we' pronounce his name "correctly". In the early days in the States, people sometimes expected there to be two women in the band, Debbie and Christine.

They still did in Australia
Part of me is thinking how utterly pathetic it is to have an election campaign devoted in large part to finding increasingly spurious ways to discredit the opposition leader. An even bigger part thinks what a fucking idiot he's been for the past four years in giving them the opportunity.
Jacob Rees-Mogg

What I am thinking right now is unacceptable, so I[…]

Twat of the Day

Better punch line. I could be confused - was drink[…]

2019 General Election

From Ibiza to the Norfolk broads... #ToryLies ht[…]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/12025663220785[…]