•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Odds on Marr actually mentioning this?
Visiting London Bridge, the prime minister attempted to deflect blame, saying: “I’ve argued that when people are sentenced to a certain number of years in prison they should serve every year of that sentence.”

But the focus switched to efforts made to deradicalise prisoners when Nazir Afzal, the former chief prosecutor for North West England, intervened by revealing his private conversation with Mr Johnson.

He said he had raised the problem of terrorists being released “whilst ostensibly rehabilitated but still radicalised” in many government meetings, before raising it with Mr Johnson in June 2016.

"He asked me what keeps me awake at night and I told him it was this issue,” Mr Afzal said.

“When he wanted to know what to do about it, I told him it was more resources for one-to-one deradicalisation.

“Back then, he hadn’t found the ‘money tree’ so he frustratingly said there was no money.”
No doubt that Johnson would blame the previous administration in any case.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:50 pm
Posted without comment ('cos I'm angry at several things tonight)

About the same as me getting a call from Gareth Southgate.
Last edited by The Red Arrow on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Andy McDandy
He'll just accuse Azfal of trying to politicise the issue. Standard politician speak for "shit, bang to rights".

And Marr will move on. Not that it matters, because for all the discussion of deradicalisation and sentencing, the dog whistle is "why aren't we just lynching them?".

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
I have a son named Jack. He's a year or three older than Jack Merritt but also a towering intellect with a platinum-plated heart of gold. He has always been that way. Wife 1.0 and I have always been in awe of his ability to see and do good, even from the earliest age.

Merritt Snr. has had me in tears on several occasions today. In situations like this, we usually say that we can't imagine their loss. I can. It pulls my soul like meat from a fork. My own father went through this. Twice. We used to joke - because that's the only way we could cope with our own personal horror - that we should change our names by deed poll to Custer. But, we were far from the public eye.

I salute Jack's father's bravery too, as the arc lights bear down from every direction. Just as I salute that of Colin Parry to this day. Being a dad and losing a son means a particular and unique flavour of bereft. The bloodline and the instinct to lead is rent. Certainty is shattered to its core.

None of us want to be David Merritt right now. Few could be.
spoonman, Tubby Isaacs, Timbo and 7 others liked this

By Samanfur
I don't remember reading this at the time:
Following the briefing, Mr Coleman said Guto Harri, the Mayor’s communications chief at the time, explained the 7/7 inquests were for the benefit of the families.

Mr Coleman added: ‘To which Boris replied, “F*** the families! F*** the families!
But yesterday Mr Harri said of Mr Johnson’s remark: ‘I didn’t hear him say it.

‘It’s not the kind of thing he would say, so I think it’s extremely unlikely.’
It's exactly the sort of thing he's on record as saying, so Guto Harri's pushing his luck - but Johnson's base would fall for him claiming to be the Second Coming if it made them feel superior to that forrin with the funny tinge down the road.

.......the thing that's keeping me going is that[…]

Paul Thomas Redux

It's the mini-me toddler I feel sorriest for.

2019 General Election

JOE has sent up the Tories video :lol: https://[…]

The Brexit Party

That there are parts of the country, particularl[…]