Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 40.5 % ❤ 5 % :thumbsup: 17.4 % 😯 5 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 3.3 % 😟 3.3 % :cry: 5.8 % :shit: 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
she's thinking of leaving not just the town she grew up and raised a family in, but the north west altogether.

I despise what this country has become, and that the people with the most influence to stop it have encouraged it.
The world these shit weasels despise is not going to go away because of Brexit. More likely to see brown and black faces replace white ones from the EU that were doing the shit jobs no one else wants to. Their hate and ignorance may wane when an Afghan or Kenyan care worker is all there is preventing them shitting on the floor at the old folks home.
oboogie, Kreuzberger, Arrowhead and 1 others liked this

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I don't want to see any good news. I've resigned myself to the fact that by this time tomorrow the forces of reaction and hate will have won, and the last thing I need right now is anything approaching optimism.
Arrowhead liked this

By Arrowhead
davidjay wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:29 pm
I don't want to see any good news. I've resigned myself to the fact that by this time tomorrow the forces of reaction and hate will have won, and the last thing I need right now is anything approaching optimism.
All those years of being a Villa fan have prepared you well, in that case! :lol:

By Arrowhead
youngian wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 pm
Johnson could still form a minority administration with DUP abstentions and push through Brexit with the votes of Labour quiet lifers.
I suppose I had a tiny smidgen of sympathy for the Labour quiet lifers when they complained that, in 2017, they were elected supporting a manifesto which made no reference to any type of second referendum. That is absolutely not the case this time around, however. They would have zero excuse to volunteer to wipe Johnson's backside for him again. Something which, hopefully, the Labour whips will be reminding them of on a regular basis.

By Andy McDandy
Given their realisation that Johnson had sold them out*, I'm hoping that there will be no propping up from the DUP. That said, it's always possible that another billion quid is found down the back of the Downing street sofas. I also hope that the LDs realise just how damaging for them their 5 years of ministerial cars was.

The problem is that whatever the result, it's likely that the Tories will still be the biggest parliamentary party. Which means that if Labour cobbles together a coalition, we've however many years of "yebbut the Tories have got more MPs" and "Shifty back-room cosy stitch up" to look forward to.

Dream result - hung parliament with a few high profile Tory losses including Johnson. Cummings out on his ear, Labour led coalition at the cost of Grandpa (give him a ministerial brief, international development or something), Starmer takes reins, modicum of sanity prevails.

Did my democracy early this morning. Queues at the polling station, mostly younger people. But it is a rock solid Labour seat.

*Oh, and how quickly did the right wing press go from "Solid unionist party with social policies many English Tory voters would agree with" to "Bunch of gay-bashing misogynistic dinosaurs"?
AOB liked this

By MisterMuncher
The DUP could well lose out on a lot of nose-holding voters by breaking Johnson's deal, and get Lundied by the TUV if they back it. Not this cycle, right enough, but certainly next time around or at a future assembly election.

I'm not averse to an intra-unionist cats in a bag fight, especially when in terms of realpolitik beyond constitutional matters, there's a general coalescing of social policy between SF, SDLP and Alliance. That matters in a future assembly when the Petition Of Concern carries less weight once the DUP can't sponsor one on their own.

I am vaguely interested if Aontú can carry much of the Paleolithic Catholic vote. Don't see it myself, there's a well trodden path of Catholics being considerably more socially liberal than Catholicism.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
At this time of day in 2016 I saw a steady army of old codgers off to vote in the EURef and weighed up that we were fucked. If its any consolation I haven’t seen any of them today but it was busy when I went to vote this morning and they weren’t all commuters as there were woolly hatted pensioners who certainly aren’t Tories. I guessed just two Tories out of ten that went in. The teller with a LD rosette told me she was a tactical voter as well. Straw poll clutching but its a good sign.
By mattomac
youngian wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:12 am
At this time of day in 2016 I saw a steady army of old codgers off to vote in the EURef and weighed up that we were fucked. If its any consolation I haven’t seen any of them today but it was busy when I went to vote this morning and they weren’t all commuters as there were woolly hatted pensioners who certainly aren’t Tories. I guessed just two Tories out of ten that went in. The teller with a LD rosette told me she was a tactical voter as well. Straw poll clutching but its a good sign.
Yeah a lot of students still around on campus, we were one of the earlier Universities to finish for term, the UCU strikes has meant catch up lectures have been put on :lol:

Also seemed to be mostly younger people at the ballot station, apparently it's been a high turn out up to 9am this morning.
The Tories, Generally

The other week I tried to put down some though[…]

Meanwhile, in Lebanon

On conspiracy theories... https://www.bbc.co.uk/n[…]

Roll Call

It certainly seems to be making my local takeaway […]

The Trump Presidency

I would assume the election campaign fund would be[…]