Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 29.9 % ❤ 2.1 % :thumbsup: 15.5 % 😯 4.1 % :grinning: 35.1 % 🧥 4.1 % 🙏 6.2 % 😟 2.1 % :cry: 1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Apart from RBL, Burgon and Butler all the leadership and deputy candidates would be an asset to a shadow cabinet. I’ve yet to see any emerging talent in the cabinet. Probably because only hacks, zealots and mediocre plotters wish to serve under Johnson.
youngian wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:32 am
Whoever becomes leader, I want them tossed over the side if they don’t bring back tangible results back within two years. The Australian Labor Party doesn’t put up with losers with no self-awareness wasting their time.
I'll drink to that. Neither do the Tories.
Malcolm Armsteen, Boiler, Oblomov and 1 others liked this
youngian wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:36 am
Apart from RBL, Burgon and Butler all the leadership and deputy candidates would be an asset to a shadow cabinet. I’ve yet to see any emerging talent in the cabinet. Probably because only hacks, zealots and mediocre plotters wish to serve under Johnson.
Given the Australian Labour Party's recent history they may not be the best model to follow.
Fair point. There's a more auspicious example from a bit earlier- was it Bill Hayden? Youngian will know.

Kinnock did some sterling work, but a nifty standing down before the 1992 election in favour of John Smith might have been a good idea. Same with Ed Milliband before 2015, though in fairness each of them was led astray by polling being off. Jez had correct polling but his pals told everyone it was wrong.
Fair point. There's a more auspicious example from a bit earlier- was it Bill Hayden? Youngian will know.

Kinnock did some sterling work, but a nifty standing down before the 1992 election in favour of John Smith might have been a good idea

That’s what Hayden did shortly before an election when the polls showed Bob Hawke could win for Labor and was convinced he couldn’t. Like Kinnock he’d made progress but not enough. Hawke in turn quit while he was ahead in favour Paul Keating who was better PM than Hawke if you like that sort of thing. Which I do.
Boiler wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:34 pm
childish, contrarian wank dressed up as pseudo-intellectual alternative thought.
Should have been Corbyn's slogan in 2016 TBH
oboogie liked this
youngian wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 pm
Unison has backed Starmer and he is now through as the first candidate. I can’t remember when I last enjoyed following an election.
I think I'm going to switch to Starmer Phillips has I'm afraid to say been proven to be something of a disapointment and I'm not going to do what the Corbynistas did which is to back my candidate no matter what and overlook any flaws they have.
Phillips has admitted as much herself, and says she's going to try and be more natural now. Which I suspect means she's going to be more outspoken as she has nothing to lose at this stage, but if that brings some heat on the continuity candidates still trying to suggest nothing went wrong then so much the better.
oboogie liked this

Got my ballot today. 1. Keir Starmer 2.Lisa Nandy […]

Jan Moir

Priti Patel must be the first person to have been […]

Boris Johnson

Yesterday Boris made it clear that getting a trade[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

This is rather excellent. https://medium.com/@[…]