Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 35.1 % ❤ 1.4 % :thumbsup: 6.8 % 😯 4.1 % :grinning: 40.5 % 🧥 2.7 % 🙏 2 % 😟 2.7 % :cry: 4.1 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
#593764
Boiler wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:13 pm
Why wouldn't it? Can you show me a stand-out Democrat to take him on, because I'm damned if I can see one. No, this time he'll do better.
Can you show me any evidence that he will win the popular vote?
 
By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#593765
Boiler wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:13 pm
Why wouldn't it? Can you show me a stand-out Democrat to take him on, because I'm damned if I can see one. No, this time he'll do better.
Because he's not popular with enough people. He lost the popular vote last time, and scraped the election via, what, a sub-100k vote lead spread across a few states, and won due to the Electoral College.

Biden, iirc, is leading the Democratic polls atm and whilst he comes with a whole heap of issues, and is hardly super-inspiring, Trump is that turned up to 11 except for his base. Of course, in an election, people coalesce, but if Trump didn't win the popular vote first time, I cannot see his chances increasing after years of his rule, given how his schtick is directed only at his base. It's not unheard of, of course: Bush Jr's went up from 2000 to 2004, but 9/11 was a singular event - and Trump is nothing if not relentlessly unpopular with a majority of the US population: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... nistration (fine margins, but hey)
 
By Boiler
Posts
#593766
But can you show me any evidence he won't? It's a forecast, a gut feeling if you will and a very pessimistic one. His supporters will rally round him over this impeachment business from which he will escape unscathed, and what doesn't kill him will make him stronger.

Totally OT, @The Weeping Angel TWA - when I heard Johnson going on about a new "Golden Age", didn't the Third Doctor have something to say about that to one of the UNIT staff? I recall it was your signature for a while but it escapes my memory.
 
By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#593767
Yes, his base loves him. Nobody else does. His base isn't the majority of the country. As I said, things will coalesce around him and his opponent in an election, but assuming the worst 'just because' can only take one so far! 'What doesn't kill him' also severely undermines him in the eyes of those predisposed to mistrust him.

I hope you're wrong, also ;)
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
#593774
That speech, or should I say rant, he made, going on about the far left Democrats and the do nothings.

He's full on mental, if I was a pub landlord and he came in my pub I'd bar the cunt.
 
By Biggus Robbus
#593903
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:19 pm
Biggus Robbus wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:41 pm
The Weeping Angel wrote: What choice do they have?
Point out the tactics the Republicans are using. The Republicans, just like Johnson's Tories, are relying on their supporters being gullible.

The Dems are a fucking mess ATM though. They are on the defensive. Their best moves thus far have been as a result of winding up Trump.
If they're on the defensive how come they've just impeached Trump?
Because impeachment is merely the raising of charges against a government official. It does not remove him from office.

The Dems did not go to the courts to subpoena White House appointees to make their case. I think they want this over as much as Trump.
 
By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
#596038
bluebellnutter wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:32 pm


And below it possibly my favourite MAGA response of all time...

And if it wasn't for the French Steve Knagg would be speaking English.
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#596050
cycloon wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:27 pm
Yes, his base loves him. Nobody else does. His base isn't the majority of the country. As I said, things will coalesce around him and his opponent in an election, but assuming the worst 'just because' can only take one so far! 'What doesn't kill him' also severely undermines him in the eyes of those predisposed to mistrust him.

I hope you're wrong, also ;)
The reality of Trump's "Tax rebates that weren't" is starting to dawn on the voting public.
We'll see what that's worth.

If Biden plays a good campaign and doesn't fuck up, he could be in.
  • 1
  • 324
  • 325
  • 326
  • 327
  • 328
  • 337
Reasonably epic Mail Fail

Interesting that some of the replies to the top-[…]

Roll Call

Ever been to the Mort Subite bar in Brussels? […]

Boris Johnson

That's one scary feed. Got to be a piss-taker, s[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Jesus wept.