Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 35.3 % ❤ 5.3 % :thumbsup: 16.2 % 😯 1.6 % :grinning: 25.5 % 🧥 2.1 % 🙏 2.7 % 😟 6.4 % :cry: 3.2 % :shit: 1.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
News from Groundhog Day: They need us more than we need them. This article is hyperbolic film flam that just means the UK falls to WTO schedule rates once the EU transition period is finished. That’s an undisputed fact not a threat.
Boris Johnson is preparing to use the threat of high tariffs to put pressure on the EU, US and other nations to strike trade deals with Britain.

The Times understands that the prime minister and cabinet ministers discussed using tariffs as “leverage” in an effort to accelerate trade negotiations at a meeting this week.

The tariffs could result in taxes of 30 per cent on some types of French cheese and 10 per cent on German cars. Ministers agreed at a meeting of the EU exit strategy (XS) committee on Thursday that the tariffs should be put out for consultation.

The move is designed to put pressure on the EU to agree to a complete tariff and quota-free trade agreement without forcing the UK to follow Brussels’ rules.

Ministers point out that the EU exports £94 billion more goods to the UK than the UK exports to the EU. They believe that European member states will put pressure on Brussels negotiators to conclude a deal to prevent damage to their own economies. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit ... -j0s6p0jgk
The good doctor has been informed that her participation in European coordinated health initiatives will be terminated next week - cos Brexit.

They tuk are jerbs.
youngian wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:51 pm
News from Groundhog Day: They need us more than we need them. This article is hyperbolic film flam that just means the UK falls to WTO schedule rates once the EU transition period is finished. That’s an undisputed fact not a threat.

<snip>
Essentially they're running the Trump school of economics - do as we say or you'll suffer, even if it means us suffering even worse from it.

I think I've mentioned this before, but Britain's "divide and conquer" diplomacy pathways are so well known and have been so often used, that they rarely know much else - on the 24th June 2016 the EU27 were quickly getting their shit together to provide a united front because they knew what to expect - and once the likes of Davis & Rabb soon realised that picking off EU members against each other wouldn't work, they shat the bed. What makes them think that it'll work the second time, or a third time and so on? And as for trying to flex muscles against the likes of the USA - good luck!

Of course, they realise that they're not the only ones that can slap tarrifs on imports, they just don't bother to mention it. That'll not be wonderful for those industries and businesses sectors that are significantly export led. But those threatening to slap on such tarrifs will be mostly immune to its punitive results, slap a 30% tariff on French wine? The Bullington Boys can easily absorb that. But what about everyone else whom sees their shopping bills jump by 15-25%?

Those involved in the Johnson government will be quite happy to burn Britain to the ground, just as long as they can perpetually rule over the ashes.
visage wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:52 pm
It doesnt need to work in the sense that the EU caves in. It just needs to work so they can blame the EU when it all goes to shit.
Then it's essentially a continuation of treating the general UK population with "the mushroom principle" - keep 'em in the dark and just feed them shit.
visage wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:52 pm
It doesnt need to work in the sense that the EU caves in. It just needs to work so they can blame the EU when it all goes to shit.

English Brexit nationalism is a unique blend of bullying delusions of grandeur and self pity.
“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.”

youngian wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:51 pm
Boris Johnson is preparing to use the threat of high tariffs to put pressure on the EU, US and other nations to strike trade deals with Britain.

The Times understands that the prime minister and cabinet ministers discussed using tariffs as “leverage” in an effort to accelerate trade negotiations at a meeting this week.

The tariffs could result in taxes of 30 per cent on some types of French cheese and 10 per cent on German cars. Ministers agreed at a meeting of the EU exit strategy (XS) committee on Thursday that the tariffs should be put out for consultation.

The move is designed to put pressure on the EU to agree to a complete tariff and quota-free trade agreement without forcing the UK to follow Brussels’ rules.

Ministers point out that the EU exports £94 billion more goods to the UK than the UK exports to the EU. They believe that European member states will put pressure on Brussels negotiators to conclude a deal to prevent damage to their own economies. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit ... -j0s6p0jgk
These threats having worked brilliantly before.

It's like percentages don't exist.
The Red Arrow wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:22 pm
“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.”

Number 1 on that list strikes me as a quick and easy way to get your skull smashed by morons.

Numbers 2 - 10 are fine. I shall be thinking about them. Or, at least, about the ones I'm not already doing.
Cyclist wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:59 pm
Number 1 on that list strikes me as a quick and easy way to get your skull smashed by morons.

Numbers 2 - 10 are fine. I shall be thinking about them. Or, at least, about the ones I'm not already doing.
Same here and yes, No. 1 will now get you a thorough kicking. I wonder what Steve Bray is doing with his time now?

However... I don't see the UK rejoining the EU; certainly not in my lifetime and probably not in say, my nephew's lifetime - if ever. Having stood at the foot of the building on Boulevard Flandrin in Paris and read the inscription on the wall where in effect the EU was born, I doubt the EU would ever want the UK back - and I can't say I'd blame them for permanently excluding the UK on the premise that "de Gaulle was right about that lot." If not in writing, a nodding understanding.
youngian wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:46 pm
I doubt the EU would ever want the UK back

The UK may not even exist by 2030. England as a state has never been a member but may want to after it works through its lonely mental breakdown and the demography has changed.
People keep saying "the demography will change" but already I have seen - even posted here - messages from young people in the North who have voted Tory for the first time simply to get out of the EU.

I really wouldn't waste my time and my life hoping that the UK, or whatever remains of it, will rejoin the EU because I very much doubt it'll be a unilateral decision again - it'll be subject to a referendum and the vote will be NO. I certainly won't be giving it any more thought; we're out, and we had better get used to that fact. "[We] lost, get over it" if you will.

It's harsh of me to say this, but perhaps a few people need to look up the 'Seven Stages Of Grief'* and decide where they are.

*Five, according to some psychologists.

Got my ballot today. 1. Keir Starmer 2.Lisa Nandy […]

Jan Moir

Priti Patel must be the first person to have been […]

Boris Johnson

Yesterday Boris made it clear that getting a trade[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

This is rather excellent. https://medium.com/@[…]