Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 27.5 % ❤ 2.5 % :thumbsup: 15 % 😯 5 % :grinning: 36.3 % 🧥 3.8 % 🙏 6.3 % 😟 2.5 % :cry: 1.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
It'll be like a shit sitcom where a loveable rogue runs rings around a killjoy stick in the mud, until she falls for his charms.

And about as funny.
youngian wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:03 pm
"Becky has both the brains and the brilliance to take on Boris Johnson,” claims Len.
“Oh, and Richard, of course. We’re endorsing Richard because he...he is...loyal. Very loyal, yes that’s it. He brings a lot of loyalty to the table. Oh! And great for making tea! Always keen to make the tea, that lad. And that’s a big help you should never underestimate - as long as he’s got it written down what everyone wants, he hardly ever makes mistakes! Always happy to pop out and get Jeremy another rich tea. Yes, Richard would be a great asset.”
A piece by Lewis Goodall for the BBC on the surge in membership in the Labour Party:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51245211

He says as much as 20%, and the 'feeling' is that these are melts, moderates and centrist dads (and mums, of course) joining or rejoining to defeat the left.
Of the CLP chairmen and chairwomen and MPs who spoke to Newsnight, virtually all seemed certain these members joined in order to have a say about the next Labour Party leader.
In 2015 and 2016, the two Labour leadership contests in which Jeremy Corbyn ran, much was made about the "entryism" or programme of enlisting new members to vote for the left-wing candidate.
The intentions of all the new members this time is not certain - there are simply too many of them to be sure.
However, sources within local parties are confident many if not most had joined to vote against the left-wing candidate, a reversal of what happened four years ago.
One MP, in a CLP that now numbers nearly 3,000 members, told Newsnight: "We're just trying to figure it out, but it seems that overwhelmingly the new joiners since the election are moderates who want to vote against Rebecca Long-Bailey in some form.
"A lot joined for Jess Phillips and are now deciding who next."
oboogie liked this

By Boiler
It's about time we had a plausible opposition in this country and not some petulant old cunt living a 1970s dream. It's why I joined - I had never been a member of a political party in my life until now.
youngian, Malcolm Armsteen, davidjay and 3 others liked this
What an instant boost for Labour on the doorstep if Corbyn’s dauphin finishes in third place. Especially if the canvassers are post-Corbyn rejoiners. A Tory voter from a military family in 2017 was telling me what a nice moderate man Corbyn was. Having to bite my lip to prevent me telling a Tory ‘Fool, you don’t know the half of it’ about your own party’s leader was a crazy position to be on.
oboogie liked this
As he says, it's hard to imagine that there are many hard left nutjobs that didn't to support Corbyn joining up now to support Becky Long, so the assumption that most of the new members have joined to try and make sure Labour elects a decent leader (ie Keir Starmer) is probably a reasonable one.

Can hardly wait for the Corbyn nightmare to be over.
youngian liked this
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 pm
It'll be like a shit sitcom where a loveable rogue runs rings around a killjoy stick in the mud, until she falls for his charms.

And about as funny.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Manor_Born
Boiler wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:40 am
It's about time we had a plausible opposition in this country and not some petulant old cunt living a 1970s dream. It's why I joined - I had never been a member of a political party in my life until now.
+2 in our house.
The Tories, Generally

Talking of DSC's... “Dom wants to get th[…]

The TV Licence and Funding the BBC

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1229060184724[…]

Boris Johnson

Is he raising or cutting? Given who he is, I assu[…]

The Guardian

Yeah, I thought that was a bit "long term&quo[…]