Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 35.3 % ❤ 5.3 % :thumbsup: 16.2 % 😯 1.6 % :grinning: 25.5 % 🧥 2.1 % 🙏 2.7 % 😟 6.4 % :cry: 3.2 % :shit: 1.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 pm
Wales will still be with England. Plaid Cymru (albeit standing down in a few seats) got under 10%.
Big changes can happen fast in politics.
It often takes an uncaring demagogue to provoke a backlash.
Somebody like ... Rebecca^H^H^H^H^H^H Boris Johnson
Politics may change fast, but people don't. On another forum I read people are delighted that a wrong they feel was perpetrated in 1975 - when they voted for the-then losing side - has finally been undone.
We've lost a battle, the war goes on. We owe it to those who stood up before and those who will stand up in the future. As someone with a better way with words than me once said, all it takes for evil to triumph is you groovers out there doing bugger all. And yes, we crossed over from right and wrong to good and evil a few miles down the trail, pilgrims.
WTF?, Watchman liked this
The Red Arrow wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:45 am
We've lost a battle, the war goes on. We owe it to those who stood up before and those who will stand up in the future. As someone with a better way with words than me once said, all it takes for evil to triumph is you groovers out there doing bugger all. And yes, we crossed over from right and wrong to good and evil a few miles down the trail, pilgrims.
Fuck yes! As someone with a better way with words than me once said.
Well...erm...
The Darwin Awards are always funny to read about, how some idiot leaned over the edge of a cliff to take a selfie and fell to their doom, or forgot to put the safety catch on while cleaning their gun and shot themselves in the head. But this year’s ceremony will feature something a little different.

This year an award will be presented to an entire country. Specifically the UK will be receiving a Darwin Award for Brexit.

https://www.lcdviews.com/2020/01/18/uni ... mUuMR1e85w
Boiler wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:40 pm
Politics may change fast, but people don't. On another forum I read people are delighted that a wrong they feel was perpetrated in 1975 - when they voted for the-then losing side - has finally been undone.
I partly disagree.

As I see it, even the most ingrained leave-Gammon from Stoke, Macclesfield or Hull has relatively little in common with Johnson, don't even get them started on Raab, Javid or Patel.

They're presently in an unholy alliance united around a vague concept (Brexit) and a bunch of shared bogeymen (wokes, millenials, poofters, darkies, Gary Lineaker).
They have few positives to unite around, and (I believe) their core values are at odds.

Issues like "An immigration system that's fair to all" of "cutting spending to give a tax cut to business" play well with the ministers, and might buy a few months in Stoke.
But then the trains go onto part time, and the Romanians at the car wash are replaced by lads from Uzbekistan.

However those are slow creeping divergences.
What I think is more likely to break the alliance is comedy Boris attending a national disaster, trying to play it for laughs, and trampling over values that the gammons hold close to their hearts.
Maybe another fire (let's hope not), maybe a virus outbreak and the only vaccine is all assigned to nice london postcodes (let's hope not again), maybe a couple of nonces outed in cabinet (o special advisers) ..

Who can predict what.
I'm sure there's trouble ahead for an alliance built on such shaky ground.

To some extend Starmer / Nandy have to return to traditional opposition politics.
Expect to achieve little, keep your own side's record clean, and leap on the corruption when it comes to light.
They'll move on to the next scapegoats for their perpetual state of victimhood.
Even if immigration rises will the tabloids still have screaming xenophobic headlines now Brexit is done? It will always be an inflammatory issue for their readers because as already noted Brexiters will still be miserable or angry if they encounter funny foreign languages and non-white faces down the high street.
Remember as well that things only become news when someone decides that they're news. Remember sleaze, from 1993 to 1997? That was because enough power players decided to dump on Major. They got people outraged about stuff because they decided the scandals were outrageous. It wasn't because of any sudden discovery of a moral compass.
Bones McCoy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:03 pm
I partly disagree.

As I see it, even the most ingrained leave-Gammon from Stoke, Macclesfield or Hull has relatively little in common with Johnson, don't even get them started on Raab, Javid or Patel.

They're presently in an unholy alliance united around a vague concept (Brexit) and a bunch of shared bogeymen (wokes, millenials, poofters, darkies, Gary Lineaker).
They have few positives to unite around, and (I believe) their core values are at odds.
Like this BTL comment from Scram News? (Anybody know anything about them, btw?)

https://scramnews.com/bbc-axe-question- ... mment-8790
youngian wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:45 pm
Even if immigration rises will the tabloids still have screaming xenophobic headlines now Brexit is done? It will always be an inflammatory issue for their readers because as already noted Brexiters will still be miserable or angry if they encounter funny foreign languages and non-white faces down the high street.
At the moment it just an unspoken "real " reason for why they voted for Brexit, but they can still delude themselves that they understand economics and the effect in will have once "we're out". However once it all start to go tits up, then Brexiters will need to lash out when they encounter funny languages or non-white faces, because there is nowhere else for their anger to go because "it" hasn't turned out how they told us it would or how it believed it would.
Boiler wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Same here and yes, No. 1 will now get you a thorough kicking. I wonder what Steve Bray is doing with his time now?

And from a BBC article (which rapidly had its comments closed) is this, the third-highest rated.
Screenshot_2020-01-29 European Parliament approves Brexit agreement.png
Screenshot_2020-01-29 European Parliament approves Brexit agreement.png (7.13 KiB) Viewed 436 times
WE. ALWAYS. HAD. CONTROL.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Brexit means Brexit remember..... Indeed. ht[…]

Diane Abbott

Notable that the only person who has openly said t[…]

Meanwhile in Germany

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1231704228[…]

The Sun

Still has massive influence though. Every copy in […]