Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 42.8 % ❤ 1.1 % :thumbsup: 12.2 % 😯 4.4 % :grinning: 30 % 🧥 2.8 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.1 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:18 pm
I'm curious to know where it will go in the radio spectrum. A Dead And Buried-only station perhaps? I can't see much spectrum left in Band II, unless it's going to be London only.
Ofcom haven't advertised a new commercial FM licence in donkey years, most recent activity on that has been to either renew existing station licences or prioritise community radio, and there is indications that they're not likely to licence any more of them after this year. Also, according to Ofcom there is no more space on VHF Band II to launch even a low powered community station in most of Greater London - now the numerous pirate stations will obviously disagree, and the 87.7 to 88.0 Megacycles/second sub band that is nominally reserved for RSL stations is there if they sacrifice RSLs for it. But otherwise any commercial FM station covering London would need to be bought and that would require a lot of money, if anyone would sell in the first place.

DAB is definitely an option - Newscorp already own the Wireless Group (v2) that broadcast TalkSport, TalkSport 2 & Talk Radio. The latter two are on the Sound Digital ensemble (11A) while TalkSport itself is on Digital One (11D/12A). They could either replace TS2 or Talk Radio with "Times Radio" or they could convert at least one of the existing stations to DAB+ and use the freed bandwidth to launch the new station.

What about Medium Wave, I hear you laugh? They might have had a chance back around the first half on 2019 and bought the 558 kHz station from LoveSport/Spectrum, but this has now allowed Punjabi Radio to broadcast city-wide whereas they were previously on 1584 kHz serving North London. Other than that, TWG doesn't have any MW stations in London other than the national TalkSport, and even they have just got permission to close some lower powered transmission sites. At this time there is simply no commercial reason to launch Times Radio on MW or any station like it, it's a frequency band on life support.

Personally I see the typical demographic for a "Times Radio" Station very likely to own DAB radios and/or stream either at home or via mobile so an analogue outlet I doubt would be critical.
Boiler liked this

By Boiler
Spaff away, chaps....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51272817

There's a reason those lines closed, you prats. If you want to chuck money at the railway, how about restoring the infill electrification plans your mate George cancelled?

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:27 am
Spaff away, chaps....

There's a reason those lines closed, you prats. If you want to chuck money at the railway, how about restoring the infill electrification plans your mate George cancelled?
The face of this being Transport Minister "Spaffer" Schapps.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:05 am
And of course, this is all reward for Northern Gammon but I doubt any of it will happen...
They promised some reopening round Blyth Valley in the election. Hard to go back on that, and it is one mentionedby people who know what they're talking about. I reckon that'll happen and then stand for "the North".

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:19 pm
Boiler wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:05 am
And of course, this is all reward for Northern Gammon but I doubt any of it will happen...
They promised some reopening round Blyth Valley in the election. Hard to go back on that, and it is one mentionedby people who know what they're talking about. I reckon that'll happen and then stand for "the North".
Blyth Valley for you, Crossrail for us.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:27 am
Spaff away, chaps....

I saw that on the Beeb webthingy this morning. My first thought was, what next? £25 million to reopen the Wantage Tramway? Or will it be the Golden Valley line (Pontrilas to Hay-on-Wye)?

I can think of many other areas where railways were closed because they were genuinely uneconomical to run in the 60s (or earlier) and would still be money-sinks today.

I can also think of a lot of lines that never should have closed, that would be a boon to the locals, if only the bed hadn't been built on and the expensive infrastructure, bridges and the like, hadn't been demolished, making them far too expensive to rebuild.

Don't blame Beeching, it was Tory SofS, later tax-exile, millionaire road-builder Ernest Sharples who should be dug up and given a good kicking.

By Boiler
ITYM 'Marples'. It is however worth remembering that Barbara Castle closed more lines than Marples did (IIRC Labour stood on a platform of cancelling Beeching in 1964) and that the Tories electrified more miles of railway during the Thatcher years than any other government since. One line that would have been a welcome freight bypass now was March to Spalding, which closed in '82. I travelled upon it on its last day.

If we were to re-open a complete folly (which wasn't down to The Good Doctor) I'd recommend the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway :lol:
The Tories, Generally

Talking of DSC's... “Dom wants to get th[…]

The TV Licence and Funding the BBC

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1229060184724[…]

Boris Johnson

Is he raising or cutting? Given who he is, I assu[…]

The Guardian

Yeah, I thought that was a bit "long term&quo[…]