Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 42.9 % ❤ 3.6 % :thumbsup: 6.8 % 😯 3.4 % :grinning: 35.7 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 1.2 % 😟 2.2 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:07 pm
Æ is most definitely OE - Æthelraed, Ælfgyfu and so on. As far as I am aware Latin orthography never used it as a grapheme, ae was not uusually ligatured. instead you might find it in mediæval Latin texts using OE orthography. It's a grapheme called æsc (pronounced 'ash') and is frequent.

Not in Chaucer's English, though! That was Middle English, and the Old English graphemes had largely gone. Eventually killed off by printing. Which is a pity, because eth ð and thorn ϸ were useful.
I've always struggled badly with all that linguistic and pronounciation stuff.

We did some Chaucer at school (Several knob jokes in there to keep the class sane).
Never thought it would be any use, stuff that was obviously intended to rhyme, but didn't.
Years later, it proved immensely helpful when I was trying to learn the Dutch language.

Anyway, more stuff I didn't understand - but explained properly.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Really not convinced by that (is he the professor from the Rocky Horror Show?).

The GVS is still continuing, it is a dynamic process. A recent (19th into 20th century) example is the short [e].
Used to be pronounced as [a] - hence the Varsity match and the Derby hat. And why you can never understand a Kiwi barmaid*, because it hasn't reached New Zealand yet.

*We had one who pronounced her long as a long [a] so she really did leave the bar for a few minutes 'to get my arse'. In an arse bucket.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Apparently Fox has had a sit-down with Bonnie Greer, and is now saying he's had his eyes opened and regrets his attempted career move.

Hate to be cynical, but I suspect he realised that he'd shot his acting career in the foot, and the right were already moving on.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
I'm inclined to instinctively agree, but for all that...
She sees something in us that I frankly don't right now but I'm glad she still does and Bonnie makes very convincing arguments so I am open to possibilities.

By Boiler
lord_kobel wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm
Some of the replies on here might be of use to us at some point:
Those double-sided foam pads. Nothing shifts those, not even thermonuclear devices. Just make sure the urinal's dry first.
The Tories, Generally

I know it's being said every day in every way, but[…]

The TV Licence and Funding the BBC

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1229060184724[…]

Boris Johnson

Is he raising or cutting? Given who he is, I assu[…]

The Guardian

Yeah, I thought that was a bit "long term&quo[…]