•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Don't forget the legendary status of Sapeurs-Pompiers in France; it's wrong to translate them as firefighters, they are the first responders in all emergencies. They are much respected by the people. Some years back I watched the Bastille Day parade in Paris, and the pompiers got by far the biggest cheer in the défile.

The police, not so much.

By Boiler
They're not (still) known as the Car Rempli de Singes ('cartload of monkeys') for nothing.

My mate and I did have a civilised conversation with them last year though: there was a guy from Normandy (IIRC) on detachment to Paris on account of a demo by a pro-Palestinian group who were a bit narked about a square being renamed Jerusalem Square in the 17th. He spoke English, we spoke French.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:05 pm
Jeez... it's got bad when the Sappers and Pumpers are having a scrap with the fuzz.

My mate wants to know if he's booking us twelve days in Paris in May. Will anything be open?
Paris is Paris. May is May. The ritual exchange of objéts is virtually guaranteed, I would have thought.

Alternatively, come to Kreuzberg. We no longer have run ins with the cops, stand around drinking over priced bier and wondering when it is all going to kick off. It doesn't.

"No shipwrecks, nobody drooned. In, fact, nothing to laff at, at all".

We're going down to Ober Bayern to the out-laws and then up into the hills behind Salzburg for the long weekend. The beer's cheaper and the scenery is fabulous.

By Boiler
My mate is an avowed Francophile, hence the annual trip to the 15e.

I had planned to give the Paris trip a miss this year but my mate assumed I'd be up for it and now we're where we are. But next year I will give it a miss - and I haven't been to Germany since 1999.

Hmmm.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 pm
Come to Normandy. Nothing ever happens. Apart from piles of burning tyres. Where do they get all the fuckin' tyres from?
Swap em with Arlene's lads for palettes.
Mark Francois MP

A "Never Seen Star Wars" moment, I don't[…]

Poppy Day bingo

Saw a bit of Vera Lynne funeral on news, a shopkee[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Mark Lewis is representing some of the aggrieved e[…]

Boris Johnson

Dunno if this is a reprise, but both reviews menti[…]