Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 35.3 % ❤ 5.3 % :thumbsup: 16.2 % 😯 1.6 % :grinning: 25.5 % 🧥 2.1 % 🙏 2.7 % 😟 6.4 % :cry: 3.2 % :shit: 1.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Jesus wept. Latest arse fodder from the Ministry of Propaganda.

Linked via Otto, as his rebuff is far more nuanced than the stream of obscenities coursing through my brain right now.
“Free trade is God’s diplomacy”... what utter turdblather is that?!
Stilton isn't made in Stilton but should be, the MP for Stilton argued adding in something about meddling Brussels
The cheese can only legally be called stilton if it is made in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire or Leicestershire.

The UK Protected Food Names Association said the industry was at risk of being "undermined" if the law changed.

Shailesh Vara MP said Stilton village had become "caught up in the European bureaucracy" and argued the cheese should now be made there following Brexit.

"A local historian has found the cheese was made here in the past," he told Parliament.
Any fule kno (except Vara, obvs) Stilton cheese never was made in Stilton. It got the name from the location of the big coaching inn on the North Road where it was sold.

Vara's pet historian shouldn't give up their day job just yet.

Sheesh! They'll be telling us angel cake was called that because the original recipe called for 5oz of finely chopped angels, and pigs in blankets traditionally used merino wool :roll:
Oblomov liked this
Even the IoD think Johnson’s talking bollocks
The prime minister blackballed business groups from his keynote speech on the future of EU trade talks yesterday, accusing them of failing to prepare their members for the “reality” of post-Brexit Britain.

The CBI, the British Chambers of Commerce and the Institute for Directors were excluded from Boris Johnson’s speech to business leaders in Greenwich. His aides later accused the groups of “neglecting their duty to prepare their members” for the “realities” of a Canada-style free trade deal. They had been “wasting their time lobbying government to abandon the promises made to the British people”. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bori ... -xxf5cpmhb
A general thought. I wondered at the time how a "Political Declaration" could be squared with the legendarily perfidious Albion, and especially, the particular acreage of arsewipe which manifests itself as the present tory party - an egregious ensemble of rogues, cheats, liars and self-interested thieves who believe that parliamentary democracy means that it is their turn to do whatever they can get away with. That thought occurred to me during May's tenure.

Now, I realise that the E.U. had no realistic prospect of agreeing to anything other than a "declaration" when more concret,e broader or, indeed, comprehensive had been agreed.

The signs are now that the PD is not worth the paper it is written on. The refusal to extend the transition, the aggressive sabre-rattling and the sheer venom of the "winners" suggests that most bets and certainly all goodwill are off.

I see no alternative outcome. An extreme and ultimate Brexit beckons, along with everything that that entails.
youngian, Malcolm Armsteen, Boiler and 2 others liked this
Cyclist wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:06 pm
Any fule kno (except Vara, obvs) Stilton cheese never was made in Stilton. It got the name from the location of the big coaching inn on the North Road where it was sold.

Vara's pet historian shouldn't give up their day job just yet.
This one has been rumbling on for at least the last decade around here, perhaps longer. There's a couple of inns on the Old North Road in Stilton that sold it, the one I know best is The Bell.
The Sun

It's one of life's great ironies that the more pri[…]

Boris Johnson

Don't you think it's possible to educate people?[…]

Momentum

Well worth a read: https://medium.com/@d4nf0x/sta[…]

Roll Call

Lyrics from a popular Mancunian four-piece beat co[…]