•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Macron Scraps Proposal to Raise Retirement Age in France

Faced with an unrelenting protest over proposed changes in France’s generous pension system, officials withdraw a move to raise the full-benefit retirement age to 64 from the present 62.
On Saturday, with a crippling transport strike already in its sixth week, Mr. Macron’s government backed down, announcing that it would “withdraw” the new age limit, and put off decisions on financing the system until it gets a report on the money problem “between now and the end of April.”

But the government did not entirely rule out the idea of reintroducing a new retirement age if funding solutions to the pensions deficit are not reached.

And the government’s concession is unlikely to end either the strike or the demonstrations. The more militant unions — and the ones most heavily represented in the railways and the Paris subway — are demanding that Mr. Macron abandon his entire reform plan.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/11/worl ... gcCWqfaHWV

By Oblomov
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... uel-macron

Quite the recovery plan Macron is detailing. I wish we were governed by a grown up.

By Kreuzberger
Don't you just know that the Johnson mob are in Paris threatening France with the Covid shit-list unless they "do something" about the invaders?

"Nice tourism industry you got there..."

This will not end well.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... are_btn_tw
A French journalist who infiltrated the country’s police force has described a culture of racism and violence in which officers act with impunity.

Valentin Gendrot claims the violence was so frequent it became almost banal and describes one incident where he was forced to help falsify evidence against an adolescent who had been beaten by an officer.

“It really shocked me to hear police officers, who are representatives of the state, calling people who were black, Arab or migrants ‘bastards’, but everyone did it,” he says.

“It was only a minority of officers who were violent … but they were always violent.”

Gendrot also says he was shocked to discover how badly trained and paid police recruits are and how the constant stress and daily hostility and violence they face drives officers to depression and suicide.
A few months ago I remember being told that the French police were nothing like the Murrican police, but reading this article they seem to have the same problems with racism and violence.

By Tubby Isaacs
I didn't know it was that brazen, though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. France doesn't collect data on ethnicity in the way we have done for ages. One sometimes feels here that we worry too much about "community leaders", but our approach is way better than theirs overall. France rather gives the lie to the notion that things would be fine if we "abolished the race relations industry" and all that.
Peter Hitchens

He is asserting his rights as a free-born man of[…]

Labour, Generally.

It's also worth mentioning people really aren't th[…]

The Tories, Generally

"This Black Lives Matter thing is wrong. Sure[…]

US election 2020

3rd (2nd?) debate - not as vile as predicted, but […]