•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Boiler wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:03 pm
The thing is - an opportunity for future-proofing digital television was missed by leaving out CA modules in receivers. Is it possible to encrypt programming on the Freeview platform and unlock it with a PIN? Bit beyond my ken, that.
Isn't it the case that for essentially the last two decades or so, thanks to Stalinist EUSSR*, that all TV's with a DVB-T tuner above a certain screen size (14 inches IIRC) must have a CI slot in them to accept CAMs? Before it closed, TopUp TV used to sell their service with a CA Module as an option though for whatever reason they limited it only to certain tellys.

Interestingly, the people behind TopUp TV did develop a sort of encryption using MHEG which required a PIN to be entered to view a channel that was otherwise hidden from most DVB-T receivers. The main problem was that if the receiver was switched off, a new PIN number was required. I know that a certain late night channel called Television X was using it - not sure if they still do. :blush: I also think another "adult" station on Freeview had something similar, possibly from the Babestation group of channels.
mr angry manchester wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:20 pm
Yes, they do still exist, not that I watch such filth!

(er, this bloke told me that they do)
This bloke, was it @Abernathy ?

By Boiler
spoonman wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:58 pm
Boiler wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:03 pm
The thing is - an opportunity for future-proofing digital television was missed by leaving out CA modules in receivers. Is it possible to encrypt programming on the Freeview platform and unlock it with a PIN? Bit beyond my ken, that.
Isn't it the case that for essentially the last two decades or so, thanks to Stalinist EUSSR*, that all TV's with a DVB-T tuner above a certain screen size (14 inches IIRC) must have a CI slot in them to accept CAMs? Before it closed, TopUp TV used to sell their service with a CA Module as an option though for whatever reason they limited it only to certain tellys.
I know my recorders and STBs don't have anywhere to put one.
Boiler wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:43 pm
I know my recorders and STBs don't have anywhere to put one.
Yeah, it didn't apply to STBs or PVRs - Freesat receivers are another good example.

IIRC The original Sky Digital receivers did have a CI slot that was hidden behind a panel on the back of the receiver that had to be screwed off, but was left out of HD box production and has been ever since (not to be confused with the card slot for the Videoguard CAS and an additional slot that had provisionally been planned for use with a payment card for Open... (later Sky Active) but never came to fruition.

But back to terrestrial, very few require a stand-alone single tuner STB to watch it with a telly these days as analogue tuner only TV's die off, and PVRs aren't quite as important to have these days with the wide availability of catch-up services that can be accessed. And as the way viewing habits are slowly changing, it's hard to see any plans for anyone to use a (proper) encrypted system on terrestrial TV in the UK in the future, or any linear service for that matter.
Boiler liked this

By Boiler
If this is even half true, this is serious. But again, it ignores the mechanism for subscriptions. It is however, doing Murdoch's will.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/d ... r-BB102n0K
Boiler wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:33 am
If this is even half true, this is serious. But again, it ignores the mechanism for subscriptions. It is however, doing Murdoch's will.

Sadly no one will defend it.

By Boiler
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:29 pm
Boiler wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:33 am

Sadly no one will defend it.
Correct (but see below). Its news coverage has pissed off so many people on both sides of the political divide - and Birt giving the power to News to make itself think it is the BBC - was always going to be a problem and now the chickens are coming home to roost. It'll make its 100th anniversary in 2022 but I very much doubt it'll survive beyond that.

You know that old saying about democracy - "the least worst system"? That's how I see the licence fee.
spoonman, oboogie liked this
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Can only hope their share price has taken a hammer[…]

Reasonably epic Mail Fail

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/derbyshire […]

Roll Call

Ever been to the Mort Subite bar in Brussels? […]

Boris Johnson

That's one scary feed. Got to be a piss-taker, s[…]