•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Okay, so we're stopping "low skilled" immigration, in the belief that it will free up jobs for the British economically inactive; but what about the existing immigrants currently doing such jobs, are we in for another round of mass deportations?
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
Kreuzberger wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:32 pm
These immigration proposals appear to be absolutely ruinous for individual businesses and the country as a whole.

Has anyone offered a reasoned and reasonable idea as to why this is being suggested? Generation Gammon are going to be the first (after the filthy immigrants) to be impacted so why would anyone even give this thought the time of day?
No.

The Tories are not the party they once were who, even when you disagreed and loathed what they were doing, you accepted that they were genuinely doing what they thought was best for the country. They are now a nationalist party who've seen Brexit not just for the mandate it was (simply to leave the EU) but to reshape the country in their own image.

They are attempting to appeal to Stephen Yaxley-Lennon supporters and sympathisers, people with genuine ideological dislike and distrust of anything foreign, not just the working class who feel this way but the middle-class, curtain twitching, dinner party set who have thus whispered their views behind a veneer of respectability.

There were valid reasons to vote Leave. The EU is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Some Remainers are dicks who seem to believe anyone with the slightest divergence of opinion from them is thick and cruel. However, a Tory majority were always going to do this, as soon as they had power in their grasp, they were always going to mock Remainers or anybody not wedded to a no-deal Brexit. They were always going to ignore the majority of Leave voters who have served their use and try to appeal to this hard right core.

There are two words that mean they like this. "Australian" and "points".

When they think of Australia, they think of Neighbours, g'day mate, muscle-bound men and hot bikini clad blondes having a Barbie on the beach, the land of kangaroos and didgeridoos, crack open a Fosters, homogenous. Britain can be its own version of that, in their minds, and crucially, this is the kind of person that will be coming over here and they're A-OK with that. Idealised Australia, idealised Australians. ***

"Points" means they can say "we're not racist! We just want those who contribute here". A veneer of respectability gets put to it.

I do not believe the majority of Tory voters or Leave voters are racist and thick and reject that as a ridiculous Remain/leftist argument that is going to continue to cost anyone with slightly leftist views to Rees-Mogg as we continue. It would also be remiss to not state that the Tories have completely forgotten their responsibilities ("fuck business") and are now just there to revel in the adoring cheers of the hard right while they cling to power and make their friends richer.

*** That is not an attack on Australia itself, just the media image of it ***
Arrowhead, youngian, Schmee and 1 others liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
There were valid reasons to vote Leave.

Such as? I can do six of one and half a dozen of the other on Scottish independence, Irish Unionism and nationalism and probably Cornish separatism if I could be bothered but Brexit? I never saw the EU as a big deal and was job done in providing Europe with peace and security after centuries of conflict. Then along comes a nationalist cult using the EU as a totem to declare war on political and economic gravity. I will go to my grave despising Brexiters.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:34 pm
There are two words that mean they like this. "Australian" and "points".

When they think of Australia, they think of Neighbours, g'day mate, muscle-bound men and hot bikini clad blondes having a Barbie on the beach, the land of kangaroos and didgeridoos, crack open a Fosters, homogenous. Britain can be its own version of that, in their minds, and crucially, this is the kind of person that will be coming over here and they're A-OK with that. Idealised Australia, idealised Australians. ***

---8>-- SNIP --8>--

*** That is not an attack on Australia itself, just the media image of it ***
A few things to take away from that.

1. Despite having a general outdoor culture, Australia quite a high level of obesity - worse than the UK (though not quite USA'ian levels).

2. No self respecting Aussie would be seen dead with a can of Fosters in their hand.

3. White, homogenous Australia can only really be now found if you go deep into "regional" Australia. All the major cities are major culture melting pots and some 1 in 5 homes in the country doesn't speak English as a first language. Even in these regional areas, you can often find large ethnic groups of non-English speaking or non-Caucasian origins thanks to historical factors (e.g. population groups brought in to help with crop harvesting. That sounds familiar...)

4. "White" Australia is very comfortable in culturally appropriating Aboriginal artifacts like didgeridoos for their own ends, but their general attitude towards aboriginal people and their communities is still in an awful state and only continues to very slowly improve.

Of course, as you mention it is image vs. reality. As an appendix, Most Aussies have a level of bluntness that some British claim to admire, but the same Poms will be quickly offended by if it is directed at them (and it often is).
Dan, Oblomov liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Meet Priti’s mum
A tweet from a Harrow councillor was included in a dossier of Islamophobic social media posts by Conservative politicians.

The dossier, which was obtained by LBC radio station, included a tweet sent by Cllr Anjana Patel, who represents Belmont ward, to Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai.

According to a screenshot of a tweet circulating on Twitter, Cllr Patel wrote: “Two Hindu girls were kidnapped from their home, were molested and forcefully converted to your religion, Islam.

“The world should know about this barbaric act by Islamists. Don’t block me. How are you going to help?” https://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/news/1806 ... a-dossier/
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
youngian wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:59 pm
There were valid reasons to vote Leave.

Such as? I can do six of one and half a dozen of the other on Scottish independence, Irish Unionism and nationalism and probably Cornish separatism if I could be bothered but Brexit? I never saw the EU as a big deal and was job done in providing Europe with peace and security after centuries of conflict. Then along comes a nationalist cult using the EU as a totem to declare war on political and economic gravity. I will go to my grave despising Brexiters.
I think the EU's support of austerity is a problem. I find some of its regulations to be badly thought out, I think it has morphed from what it originally was into something very different, it has issues with corruption, some of its democratic systems worked well and some do not.

I think it's like many bureaucracies and I've never understood the venomous hatred (EUSSR!) or love in (I will always love EU!).

I am not a Leaver because I do not see a better option than retaining full membership as being available or achievable (economically or socially) and the Tories were chomping at the bit to use this as an excuse to change every bit of Britain that they dislike - such as not having complete and total control over everything from the courts to Parliament.

I do not despite Leave voters but I do despise the politicians who supported it entirely based on their own self-interest as they know damn well they are working against the country's best interests.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I think the EU's support of austerity is a problem.
Three of the Eurozone went bankrupt though. Nobody in that situation gets a deal that isn't austere. I suppose you could argue the EU ought to have more solidarity than other places, but there's a limit. The problem, I think, was the perfectly solvent countries like Germany and the Netherlands going for austerity. I don't know what the logic of that was- maybe they felt bad about going Keynsian when they were imposing austerity via the bailouts. The politics might have been awkward, but had more Germans had money to go on holiday to Club Med, that surely would have been a good thing.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Those were the days when you could have an intelligent debate about the shortcomings of EU institutions with critics who knew stuff. I have no interest in discussing the shortcomings of deflationary Rhineland economics or the Bolkestein Directive with June Mummery and Mark Francois.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
It's amazing watching the Mail and Sun report on the accusations of bullying being made against Patel. They're having to completely ignore everything they themselves said about the Bercow bullying accusations. It's not a surprise, of course, it's just fascinating to see just how thick they rightly believe their readers are.

I'd wager that "Oh they'll never notice" is said a hell of a lot in the Mail and Sun offices.
Rishi Sunak

The gammons must hate this country now, finding th[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Can only hope their share price has taken a hammer[…]

Reasonably epic Mail Fail

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/derbyshire […]

Roll Call

Ever been to the Mort Subite bar in Brussels? […]