Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 30.5 % ❤ 1.9 % :thumbsup: 16.2 % 😯 4.8 % :grinning: 33.3 % 🧥 4.8 % 🙏 5.7 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Starmer's talked about not scrapping SATs but using them better.

Which would be my preference, but I don't know how you do that. You can't really scrap league tables because they are, whatever their effects, information and it's hard not to give information to people who want it. In so far as Education shifts votes, I think the Tories would be very happy to fight on a "they dont want to tell you how your school is doing".
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Which would be my preference, but I don't know how you do that. You can't really scrap league tables because they are, whatever their effects, information and it's hard not to give information to people who want it. In so far as Education shifts votes, I think the Tories would be very happy to fight on a "they dont want to tell you how your school is doing".
Very easy. You quote the value added as the headline figure - it's already collected, but has never been highlighted or adequately explained for public consumption.
oboogie, Catkins liked this
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:41 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Very easy. You quote the value added as the headline figure - it's already collected, but has never been highlighted or adequately explained for public consumption.
I don't know, I'm imagining a backlash against that, the Tories talking up "the real results" and all that. Might tie into bollocks about grade inflation too.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:54 pm

So "loyal" he said it twice. Does this mean that RLB (and by implication) Lavery are going to be loyal to Starmer or Nandy if they win, come what may? Very nice of them to promise that.
It doesn’t look close though. I made the odd prediction she would come 3rd and though it still looks a very odd one, it may happen.
Loyalty is definitely over-rated, and in reality, not that significant. For example, the common Cult refrain is that if only Labour members worried about how crap Jeremy Corbyn demonstrably was and the way he was leading the party down a blind alley to massive defeat had not spoken up about their concerns, but just buttoned it, Corbyn would today be leading a radical new Labour government with a handsome majority.

Which is complete unmitigated bollocks, of course. Ignoring the fact that it is a concerned member's duty, in my view, to voice concerns about a failing leader obviously leading the party to defeat, when Blair spent 10 years as PM he simply governed successfully and was re-elected twice after 1997 even while the Campaign Group, including Corbyn, was being more vocally and actively disloyal than any of Corbyn's critics ever managed. Corbyn and his pals were wrong then, of course, as now, but I don't recall any "Blair-ites" whingeing about it, mostly because they were completely irrelevant.
Catkins, youngian liked this
Which is complete unmitigated bollocks, of course. Ignoring the fact that it is a concerned member's duty, in my view, to voice concerns about a failing leader obviously leading the party to defeat

Your own side will always boo you the loudest if you can’t even knock the ball into an open goal against a second division team. I don’t care how much I admire a leader you clear your desk if you make no progress. Looking back on it I was far too tolerant of Ed Miliband despite even now believing him to be underrated by the public (as was William Hague). If you’re not playing with voters there’s bugger all you can do to change minds. Corbyn’s a rare exception but in the opposite direction. The public hadn’t fully grasped in GE2017 what a useless waste of space he was.
Abernathy, oboogie liked this
youngian wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:43 pm
Which Corbyn’s a rare exception but in the opposite direction. The public hadn’t fully grasped in GE2017 what a useless waste of space he was.
I don’t know - I think they had, but they had also grasped how awful May’s brexit would be.

This time, you had more remainy Tories sticking to their own side because basically they’re sexist so a shitter deal with Boris was better than a crap deal with May, as well as fatigue and panic that. But you also had lots of people who had lent Corbyn their vote taking it back after he took it to be a vote for him and his policies as opposed to a vote against May.

It was the perfect storm to deliver a result for a minority. A GE called at the wrong time, at the gift of a vastly unpopular, arrogant opposition leader more obsessed with wining petty personal battles than the election itself, with one set of voters fatigued and worn down and another no longer willing to tolerate his shitness and his party’s assumption they’d always turn out for them.
Also I think a lot of people were cross with May calling an unnecessary election (in their eyes) and resented having to turn out to vote, which in turn meant they were more prepared to give her a kicking. People were more prepared to listen to Boris with his "I don't want an election but I have to to do this" and didn't turn away from him in the same way.
Why? I don't recall the absolute twat being straight about much he was going to change Labour. He just breezed in and started making everything shit. Can't Sir Keir just breeze in and start changing things back? After all, the people who will be electing him as leader already knew how much Labour needs to change, that's why they're voting for him rather than continuity corbynism.
oboogie, Catkins liked this
I think Starmer's very wise to keep his powder dry until he's in post, I see nothing to be gained by scaring off the wavering Corbots, some of whom will be voting for him.
Arrowhead, mattomac liked this
Rishi Sunak

The gammons must hate this country now, finding th[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Can only hope their share price has taken a hammer[…]

Reasonably epic Mail Fail

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/derbyshire […]

Roll Call

Ever been to the Mort Subite bar in Brussels? […]