•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
BBC’s radio output app Sounds is producing its own documentaries starting with this gripping but oh so familiar story of Dr Ruja Ignatova who promised the world she could spin shit into gold by investing with her bitcoin currency. Financially literate and convincing that her libertarian currency would set you free from those evil greedy bankers and governments. Find out if there was a happy ending. The presenter is not just thinking about Ponzi schemes: “Rational people get drawn into movements that promise life changing experiences all the time. Often its not about evidence and logic but faith, belief and hope. Operating on that level rational arguments rarely work especially if it’s more comforting to keep believing.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nkd ... /downloads

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:13 am
BBC’s radio output app Sounds is producing its own documentaries starting with this gripping but oh so familiar story of Dr Ruja Ignatova who promised the world she could spin shit into gold by investing with her bitcoin currency. Financially literate and convincing that her libertarian currency would set you free from those evil greedy bankers and governments. Find out if there was a happy ending. The presenter is not just thinking about Ponzi schemes: “Rational people get drawn into movements that promise life changing experiences all the time. Often its not about evidence and logic but faith, belief and hope. Operating on that level rational arguments rarely work especially if it’s more comforting to keep believing.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nkd ... /downloads
I heard a review of the show.
Scammers are everywhere.
Aside from the pyramid selling aspect; the cult like approach of the movement has some interesting parallels with the Brexit movement.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
AOB wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:11 pm
Imagine if the Daily Mail had a Sounds app. Jeez could you imagine that??
Yup.

AOB, Oblomov liked this

By spoonman
Boiler wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:55 pm
Well, I expect this will be hilarious. :roll:

Little Britain returns for Brexit special
'Twas never a fan much of it myself, but I can see some potential in a couple of characters like Vicky Pollard playing Corbyn's Brexit advisor...

"Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no..."

By Oblomov
youngian wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:37 pm
Johnny Speight wrote some Till Death do us Part episodes on Europe during the 70s. Scouse git was a Leaver while Alf was a Remainer due to the Tory PM and papers telling him he should be.
I've gone looking for these but unfortunately I can only find his ENOCH WOZ RITE rants :(

By Boiler
D'you know, it's been absolutely ages since I last switched on the radio and sat and listened to a play? The last time I did was to listen to Adrian Edmondson in The Accidental Death Of An Anarchist when it was first broadcast on what was then BBC Radio Five - note, not Five Live as it later became...

By AOB
youngian wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:37 pm
Johnny Speight wrote some Till Death do us Part episodes on Europe during the 70s. Scouse git was a Leaver while Alf was a Remainer due to the Tory PM and papers telling him he should be.
If that was now it would without doubt the other way round! Alf's a Leaver through and through and Scouse git staunch Remain. Alf would be a Wethies regular, outwardly disparaging of the internet and mobile phones (but secretly have one so he could text Arthur to meet him for a pint).

By Oblomov
Boiler wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:23 am
D'you know, it's been absolutely ages since I last switched on the radio and sat and listened to a play? The last time I did was to listen to Adrian Edmondson in The Accidental Death Of An Anarchist when it was first broadcast on what was then BBC Radio Five - note, not Five Live as it later became...
Radio 4 had a decent dramatization of the Suez Crisis a couple of months ago.
C**t of the day

Starkey's argument would only hold water if the en[…]

Meanwhile in America

Always worth remembering that once you cut through[…]

Roll Call

Wot Mr A said. Fine looking hound, btw.

Boris Johnson

The spoiled apple doesn't fall far from the rott[…]