Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 39.6 % ❤ 4.1 % :thumbsup: 8.5 % 😯 4.1 % :grinning: 32.2 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 0.7 % 😟 5.6 % :cry: 3.7 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
On Monday, before Johnson’s U-turn, a son of Brazil’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, defended his father’s much-criticised response to the pandemic by citing Johnson.

Eduardo Bolsonaro tweeted a 22 March video of Johnson encouraging British citizens to use local parks. “Coronavirus is very serious but the country cannot stop,” he said. “The British prime minister advised his people to take exercise in public parks.”
Bolsonaro Jnr is one of the few international fans of Johnson.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... is-johnson
The Red Arrow liked this

By The Red Arrow
She's done it again...

Johnson's 'fight them on the beaches' moment: true grit, or more shifting sands?
Marina Hyde

As the giddy welcome of long overdue action on coronavirus subsides, let’s put his address into Churchillian perspective
You’ve heard of straight-to-DVD; for far too much of the past month, it has felt as though some with power have been governing in a way we might call straight-to-public-inquiry.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ll-address
Oblomov liked this

By Oblomov
Arrowhead wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:53 am
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 am
He'll resign "to spend time with his new family".
Bloody hell. I think I'd rather be stuck with Johnson for the next five years, utterly contemptuous bastard that he is, than end up with one of the political psychopaths in his cabinet instead.

A bit like Hancock and Morgan, Johnson merely follows wherever the prevailing political currents take him. If - and I wish to God this had actually happened - there had been a massively discernible, overwhelming shift in public support last year in favour of remaining in the EU after all, the likes of Johnson and Hancock would've been the first ones parading around for the photographers with the European flag draped over their shoulders. The likes of Raab, Patel, Braverman etc are the ones to be scared of IMO, total fruit loops who genuinely believe in all this No Deal nonsense. Gove is probably somewhere in between.
I remember the awful scenario last year where Jeremy Hunt was the lesser evil, there's got to come a point where we stop having to accept this garbage choice isn't there?
spoonman, Arrowhead liked this
By satnav
I think Johnson was told weeks ago that the NHS is simply not equipped to deal with the chaos that will ensue over the next couple of weeks. Whatever he does now thousands of people are going to die. He has been dragged kicking and screaming into closing schools and imposing a lockdown. He now has to wait and see whether or not he has done enough to avoid a total catastrophe.

Even when the pandemic is over Johnson will have lots of very tough decisions to take about how to deal with the damage that has been caused to the economy. Within 12 months austerity will be very much the name of the game so a prime minister who doesn't like to be unpopular will be faced with lots of decisions which will make him very unpopular either with his voters or his financial backers.
oboogie liked this
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
I would also rather stick with Johnson than psychopaths behind him.

For all his faults, I think he is genuinely a libertarian who does not want to keep this situation going for any longer than he has to.

For some of them, I think these restrictions are probably kind of a fantasy.

By crabcakes_windermere
Oblomov wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:29 pm
I remember the awful scenario last year where Jeremy Hunt was the lesser evil, there's got to come a point where we stop having to accept this garbage choice isn't there?
That point was last December, but unfortunately an old man with delusions of grandeur was more worried about settling scores and winning arguments than much else, so it was still a garbage choice.

By Oblomov
Cyclist wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:55 pm
And all those independent suit shops in the City of London that have had closing down sales for the last 15 years :lol:

By Samanfur
Our part-time PM has coronavirus, according to multiple news outlets.

Contact tracing his little black book may prove interesting.

But on a more serious note, hopefully his missus and the baby will be fine.
oboogie, spoonman, Oblomov liked this

By Boiler
Samanfur wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:22 am
Our part-time PM has coronavirus, according to multiple news outlets.

Contact tracing his little black book may prove interesting.
Yup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52060791
Boris Johnson

Funeral directors are open as essential business[…]

Dominic Raab

A friend of mine Steve Day just posted this on Fac[…]

Roll Call

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fltlECfjVvU/T_ChlaHJWQI[…]

The Sun

Four years ago it was "They're after more […]