Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 13.2 % ❤ 10.1 % :thumbsup: 5.3 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 8.5 % 🙏 7.9 % 😟 47.1 % :cry: 6.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Day 2 of shared office space with the gf. Sisters of Mercy competed with Battle Beast and Manowar for soundtrack duties. Nobody dead yet.
lambswool, The Red Arrow, Samanfur and 3 others liked this

By MisterMuncher
Knocked a wall down today. There's a raised bed along the back wall of my back garden, and there's a big section that juts out another couple of feet. It's irritated me for the last six years. So, armed with a six-pound sledgehammer, a rusty wheelbarrow, a sharp spade and a navvy's shovel I set to work.

Something immensely satisfying about plonking the head of the hammer right on the corner of the pointing and knocking three or four blocks loose in one swing.

No idea when I'm going to get a skip to remove the rubble, right enough, but the topsoil will probably get used up handy enough.

By Abernathy
We opened our front door and joined the minute of applause for our NHS staff at 8 o' clock this evening. I was pleased to see that about 70% of our nearest neighbours also joined in. I understand from LBC that the gesture was replicated up and down the country.

Having *enjoyed* the warm embrace of our local NHS hospital just a couple of years ago (the inverted commas reflect the fact that I was eventually glad to leave the hospital, not the unstinting devotion and loving care of the nursing, medical, and other staff I experienced in their care), I all too readily embrace this gesture of affection and appreciation for the wonderful people operating our health system.

It was (predictably) rather moving. I needed a few tissues when I stepped back inside the house, and not because of any virus infection (thankfully).

By davidjay
Abernathy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:48 pm
We opened our front door and joined the minute of applause for our NHS staff at 8 o' clock this evening. I was pleased to see that about 70% of our nearest neighbours also joined in. I understand from LBC that the gesture was replicated up and down the country.

Having *enjoyed* the warm embrace of our local NHS hospital just a couple of years ago (the inverted commas reflect the fact that I was eventually glad to leave the hospital, not the unstinting devotion and loving care of the nursing, medical, and other staff I experienced in their care), I all too readily embrace this gesture of affection and appreciation for the wonderful people operating our health system.

It was (predictably) rather moving. I needed a few tissues when I stepped back inside the house, and not because of any virus infection (thankfully).
You're not a million miles from us, Abers. Did yuo hear the fireworks?
By WTF?
Membership Days
Got back in about forty five minutes ago from a trip to the shops. I left home at 5:50am to go to Tesco, which opens at six, and found I was already way down the queue. Shelves were half empty. I don't know how anyone expects to get anything if they go later in the day.

On the way home I noticed all the buses were almost empty and most of the people on them were wearing masks. There's quite a surreal air about the place.

Some advice on shopping from the beeb's site...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52040138

But while there is no such thing as "zero risk", says Prof Bloomfield, it is packaging - handled by other people - that is a chief concern.

Online advice for food businesses says: "Food packaging is not known to present a specific risk." However, some independent experts have additional advice.

"For contained or packaged goods," says Prof Bloomfield, "either store them for 72 hours before using them or spray and wipe plastic or glass containers with bleach [that is carefully diluted as directed on the bottle].

"For unwrapped fresh goods, which could have been handled by anyone - wash thoroughly under running water and leave to dry," she adds.

I suppose the safest bet is to assume everything is contaminated and act accordingly. :(

By Boiler
Mornin' all :)

I too saw that advice on the Beeb website; people are going to be nervous wrecks before long, especially those with OCD and contamination issues - and if they don't have those issues, they soon will.

I do wonder what this is going to do for the mental health of UK society - the care of which before this all broke was massively underfunded.

By Oblomov
Morning Boiler, morning all.

Hungover. Was my pal's birthday celebrations last evening so we trialled out our virtual, animal friendly, anti-fascist, gay positive, and pro-feminist all inclusive pub named The Open Arms. The drams got less and less wee and I may have ended up shouting about theme park rides at 2am and quaffing half a pack of marmalade biscuits before attempting to snooze on the sofa.

EDIT: Tried to put more Oxford commas in, probably missed a few. Clemency please.
Boiler, Watchman, Kreuzberger and 4 others liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Morning Ob, morning all.

Glad that reports from all sectors seem to be pretty positive.

Awake all night again after a long sleep after dinner. I've gone fully nocturnal, now...

But I managed to get a Sainsbury's delivery for Sunday, and one from a fruit and veg wholesaler who's gone into the delivery business eight days later. We're inventorying the freezers later, but I reckon we're good for a long while. So staying fully isolated.

Speaking of which, I haven't showed you this photo, from 3 days ago. Ring on the doorbell and we found this:
RCS_6659.jpeg
RCS_6659.jpeg (297.91 KiB) Viewed 185 times
and we're doing daily Facetime chats, helping with homework etc. Next week I've got my first Virtual Governors' Meeting. Really looking forward to that...

Stay cool, cats.
Cyclist, davidjay, Oblomov and 1 others liked this

By lord_kobel
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 am
Still no bread, can't get a delivery. Apparently some people are booking 3 deliveries a week to get round rationing and just stockpiling. So the rest of us get nothing. I think they should be a) prevented from doing that, one delivery a week or 10 days, and b) named and shamed.
Just got an email from Tesco about online deliveries. Because there aren't enough delivery slots, they're going to... reduce the number of items you can order in one go to 80, thus meaning people need to make more orders and thus fucking things up even worse than they already are. Well done Tesco....
spoonman liked this

By Oblomov
Oblomova was quite distressed yesterday afternoon after waiting 2 hours to get into the Ocado online shop, only to find that they had no delivery slots until May. One wonders why they even bother to keep the website up at all if you can't complete your purchases.

By Kreuzberger
The most notable news from this corner of the world is that 'erself has migrated from the sofa and is now at the French balcony with a copy of Die Zeit.

Long may it continue.
The Red Arrow liked this

By Oblomov
Cat update.

Laxatives ineffective. Rushed to the vet for an emergency surgery as he's on the verge of a serious gut blockage (we're told it's the size of an orange). Looking at a £3,500 vet bill (which makes £4k for this month in total after the other dash earlier this month). No idea where we're going to find the money from.

Bugger :disappointed:
Twat of the Day

Someone obviously couldn't get tinfoil from the su[…]

Labour leader rivals asked to film victory speech[…]

You'd have thought with his brain pills he'd have […]

Meanwhile, in Hungary...

Zero. Poland would veto it.