Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 15 % ❤ 9.9 % :thumbsup: 3.5 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 10.2 % 🧥 0.1 % 🙏 8.1 % 😟 47.9 % :cry: 4.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By WTF?
Membership Days
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:46 am
I've gone fully nocturnal, now...
Yeah, me too, but I'm determined to stay awake today and get to bed at a decent hour this evening. Please tell your grandkids their street art brought a smile to my face.
Kreuzberger wrote:The most notable news from this corner of the world is that 'erself has migrated from the sofa and is now at the French balcony with a copy of Die Zeit.

Long may it continue.
You lucky cosmopolitan git! :D Are you sure you don't have a spare bed over there? Glasgow is fast becoming a poorly cast remake of Mad Max.
Oblomov wrote:Cat update.

Laxatives ineffective. Rushed to the vet for an emergency surgery as he's on the verge of a serious gut blockage (we're told it's the size of an orange). Looking at a £3,500 vet bill (which makes £4k for this month in total after the other dash earlier this month). No idea where we're going to find the money from.

Bugger :disappointed:
Sorry to hear that, O. Hope things work out for you.

Stay safe and well, everyone.

By spoonman
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
lord_kobel wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:52 am
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 am
Still no bread, can't get a delivery. Apparently some people are booking 3 deliveries a week to get round rationing and just stockpiling. So the rest of us get nothing. I think they should be a) prevented from doing that, one delivery a week or 10 days, and b) named and shamed.
Just got an email from Tesco about online deliveries. Because there aren't enough delivery slots, they're going to... reduce the number of items you can order in one go to 80, thus meaning people need to make more orders and thus fucking things up even worse than they already are. Well done Tesco....
Yeah, I was think that wasn't a great idea on its own myself. Would be better to at least make it that you can't get more than one delivery within a 72 hour period, and then maybe place the item restrictions on top of that.

The local Asda at least has some slots for both delivery and click & collect from the 7th April, though they have now (wisely, TBF) now restricted to making online orders only up to two weeks in advance. Ferrget 'bout Tesco though.

By crabcakes_windermere
In case anyone hasn't come across them, Morrison's food boxes are a good bet - each one (35 quid) should contain enough for 2 adults for a week, either meat or veggie, and they also throw in stuff like washing up liquid, soap etc. It's a bit of a random grab bag, but because they just have a delivery address and the content isn't specific they're banging them out at speed and you can get them a few days ahead. Have to get in early in the morning to blag one though as they sell out pretty fast.
Oblomov liked this
By satnav
I've been quite luckily with our local Co-op if you get there when it opens at 7 there is usually a good selection of stuff but I've not seen any dried pasta anywhere in the last two weeks. Most of our big supermarkets have large queues outside most days because people are only allowed in a few at a time. Tomorrow I might go to the local outdoor market because it is usually good for veg but it is not cheap.

By Kreuzberger
All of our markets have been iced, for the time being. On balance, (no, without a doubt), I think that that is very much for the best.

It is going to be very tough for the stallholders, however. Many of those poor souls were already eking out a living and will have no fat to fall back upon.

By bluebellnutter
Supermarket news - I've found a slot for a click and collect! Up yours, previously frozen crumpets, you can be saved for later.

By MisterMuncher
We managed to book a slot as well, for next week. I got up to a wholesaler/Chinese market today as well, so I have enough in the way of flour, oats, dried fruit, nuts and such to keep my house, my in-laws and a few oldies* down the village in bread and breakfast for the next month or so. Might even stretch to cake if the notion takes me. Rice still oddly difficult to source.

*There's five or six oldsters that usually got meals dropped in from my work every day. They haven't got anyone, family wise, so me and a few of the other chefs have been trying to keep them ticking over
Cyclist, Boiler, Kreuzberger and 5 others liked this

By spoonman
Actually got an Asda delivery this evening, and have another delivery coming on Thursday. Booking 8pm to 10pm slots (as they're cheap) but this evening arrived at 6.15. I'm pretty damn grateful to get them TBH. In the present circumstances it's a matter of planning further ahead than normal as well as disinfecting all exposed packaging.

By The Red Arrow
Had to go out this a.m, as my now former employer sent me a text demanding keys back, posting them would be o.k - I wouldn't put it past them to withold wages due until they recieve them. :roll:

Local Co-op pretty well stocked this morning, literally next door there's a Tesco Express, and literally next door to that is an independant bakery - I thought about visiting the bakery but we've got enough in, and have got to get used to counting the pennies now. Bought what's probably going to be my last ciggies, coincidentally, had a letter from the local healthcare practice noting that I'm on their records as a smoker, now might be good time to quit and that there are a few drop-in groups I could attend. :roll:

Not much else to report. Took a look at small mountain of kits in stash and went into dither mode. Resolved to actually bloody do something on that front tomorrow. O.M.A went into a brief spring-cleaning frenzy - I know to steer clear when she's in that mood. I got irritable over something or other - she knows to steer clear when I'm in that mood. :lol:

Mood lightened as day turned to evening, both of us soothed by a little softissimo (sorry - my Italian's not up to scratch) playing on the mystery Japanese guitar. Which reminds me, I must get my journal/songbook up to date. Turkish chum posted a video of himself and others dancing in the street whilst maintaining social distance. Funny if you know him - he's normally very staid. Another Turkish chum has amusingly gone from bald as a coot to luxuriant, magnificently coifured head of hair. Swapping jolly selfies and gloomy news. If intercontinental love and virtual hugs cured anything it would all be over by now. :)

Well, that's about it for tonight, still feeling like a minor character in a global soap opera - like the rest of the worldwide cast, I suppose.

As ever, stay sensible, stay safe, my lovelies.
Malcolm Armsteen, Cyclist, Oblomov and 2 others liked this

By davidjay
We've got a couple of deliveries due, and this evening I went over to my mum's to drop off what I could hunter/gather from the local garage shops because I'm not going into a supermarket for a good few weeks yet. She still can't really understand why she can't have exactly what she wants but she was grateful and I got a glimpse into what it's like to be not exactly poor but having to go without some of the things I take for granted. A lot of what these shops sell is, being blunt, crap. There's hardly anything fresh, their own brands are sub-Asda quality and not cheap while the brands you recognise are fucking expensive. And if you don't have a car, and there's no decent public transport around, that's what you eat, every day.
By WTF?
Membership Days
davidjay wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:24 am
We've got a couple of deliveries due, and this evening I went over to my mum's to drop off what I could hunter/gather from the local garage shops because I'm not going into a supermarket for a good few weeks yet. She still can't really understand why she can't have exactly what she wants but she was grateful and I got a glimpse into what it's like to be not exactly poor but having to go without some of the things I take for granted. A lot of what these shops sell is, being blunt, crap. There's hardly anything fresh, their own brands are sub-Asda quality and not cheap while the brands you recognise are fucking expensive. And if you don't have a car, and there's no decent public transport around, that's what you eat, every day.
Yep. The Western world is now getting a taste of what it's like to live everywhere else, every day, but without the bombs, bullets, autocrats, dictators and malaria. Perhaps if enough of us survive this thing we might be able to bring about even a slight change. We can but hope.

By Oblomov
Morning all.

No symptoms. Crap night of sleep. The surgery on the cat was successful, they removed the hairballs from his gut which were being blocked by THIRTY SEVEN hair ties. Here's hoping the vet will allow us to do a payment plan, regardless I've still not made peace with the reality that we're having to chuck most of savings and this month's salary away because of a totally avoidable scenario.

Was also awoken by the sound of our Brexit-voting Trump-supporting neighbour gobbing an enormous amount of phlegm onto his deck. It's like the self-centered prick doesn't even know there's a pandemic on, I dread to learn what he thinks about the supermarkets right now.
Arrowhead liked this

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Mornin' Mr O. Good news about the cat :D

To do today:

Washing. On.
Leccy meter. Tick
Gardening. Hmmm
Make a dent in that huge stack of dvds I've been meaning to get around to for the past 5 years or so. Series one of Michael Bentine's Potty Time is on the cards for this afternoon. I haven't seen that in nearly 50 years!

I think the hardest job today will be to get my arse out of this extremely comfortable battered old recliner and actually*do* something.
The Red Arrow, Oblomov liked this
Richard Littlejohn

Wish he was in Florida right now. What makes […]

Masks

Metropolitan Police Federation chairman Ken Mars[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Looks like Remoaners have been proved wrong. Somew[…]

Mark Francois MP

I'd have read the first line and wiped my arse on […]