Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 16.3 % ❤ 10.7 % :thumbsup: 3.1 % 😯 1.3 % :grinning: 11.2 % 🧥 0.1 % 🙏 9 % 😟 44.1 % :cry: 4.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Oblomov
Cat is home and back to his usual self though sad at wearing the necessary lampshade of rehabilitation for the next week. It's been cruelly amusing watching him bump into various corners and things that jut out.
Cyclist, Arrowhead liked this

By Oblomov
Morning all.

Still no symptoms. Had a better night's sleep, though was interrupted by the affection-searching Oblomova who did not. Thankfully a bit of grey skies to dampen the effects of being indoors. Seems supermarket logistics might be getting up to the level of supply needed, when I popped into Co-op yesterday to get supplies for friends who are self-isolating I managed to find a box of pasta and a bag of flour!

My cooking instructor friend is working on starch/carb substitutes during The Absence of Bread (forgive me Kropotkin!), yesterday she used plantain flour from the local ethnic food store to make a perfectly acceptable pasta and I am laud her efforts, they could be important in the months to come.
Kreuzberger liked this

By Boiler
Present and so far, correct.

I am hoping to brave a trip to the newsagent and the butchers today in order to get a birthday card for my mate's birthday tomorrow and something nice to so in a sandwich from the butchers, and maybe something for my tea. No comments re: Tommy Cooper about a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt, please.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Two weeks isolation completed (yesterday).

I think I may have registered as a priority delivery at Sainsbury's (over-70) - not sure how that will affect things. Assorted delivery routes are developing, and will need to if we are to make 6 months, and businesses are to remain afloat. I can now get deliveries from our local artisan butcher and from a supplier to pubs and restaurants who has branched out into domestic deliveries.

How is it in other areas?
Oblomov, Kreuzberger, Boiler and 1 others liked this

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:30 am
Two weeks isolation completed (yesterday).
Yay! :D
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:30 am
I think I may have registered as a priority delivery at Sainsbury's (over-70) - not sure how that will affect things. Assorted delivery routes are developing, and will need to if we are to make 6 months, and businesses are to remain afloat. I can now get deliveries from our local artisan butcher and from a supplier to pubs and restaurants who has branched out into domestic deliveries.

How is it in other areas?
Round here, as you might imagine the usual public-facing businesses are shut. Some restaurants that also offered a takeaway service have just closed (which led to a disappointing Ruby last night from somewhere I've not used before) whilst others have closed just the restaurant and offer deliveries say, three nights a week. One takeaway has been offering a free 10" pizza on production of an NHS ID card.

Speaking to a couple I know from Wakefield they tell me the business their son works for has almost gone into shutdown and has laid most of its workers off. He however is so far, retained but the owner is at his wits' end. Another company I deal with has been hit with the shutdown of the broadcast industry and placed its employees on furlough.
By WTF?
Membership Days
Glad to see we all appear to be safe and sound. Sorry about missing the virtual party. I had a rather large plate of spag bol, one bottle of Nukey Brown and two whiskies. Next thing I knew it was 4am Sunday.

@ Mr A. I'm fortunate in that I have no shortage of shops right next to me, so although I might not find exactly what I'm looking I can always get something. All of the shops, no matter how small, have brought in social distancing measures. They are also operating a form of rationing, which makes perfect sense. I'd imagine the online suppliers you are dealing with have done something similar. I'm pretty sure we're all going to be able to get food, the only problem is going to be paying for it, given the way sources of income have been hit. Still, one existential crisis at a time, eh?
Boiler wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:30 am
No comments re: Tommy Cooper about a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt, please.
I can still remember the first time I heard him tell that joke. It must have been over 40 years ago. Still one of my all time favourites :D

EDIT: For those who haven't had the pleasure...

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Ennit typical. I ride home from work under grey skies, into a cold wind, and with a cold drizzle falling on me. Now I'm indoors with me feet up, the bloomin' sun's come out!

Edit to once again sort out poxy predictive text misspellings :roll: Poxy American "English" should be banned

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
All the shops are shut.
We underestimated the amount of drink needed in the house.
And now this...

It's just like Christmas.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 14.49.47.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 14.49.47.png (22.74 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Arrowhead liked this
Michael Gove

ahahahaa tossserrrrrr

Technical Support Issues - Post here

Drop box >shudders< Thanks for that. After […]

Sarah Vine aka Mrs Gove

*Insert popcorn gif here* Saturday, 30 May 2020 […]