Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47.3 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 7.1 % 😯 3.5 % :grinning: 27.1 % 🧥 0.8 % 🙏 1 % 😟 6 % :cry: 3.3 % :shit: 0.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:14 am
Don't you think it's possible to educate people?

Call me an ageing naif if you like, but I still hold out the hope that not every voter has that venally selfish outlook uppermost in their mind when putting their cross on the paper.

I think there are still people who take a more holistic view of the sort of society it'd be best to live in (more equal, more content, caring for those in need, being kinder) , and vote for the party that best fits that vision.

I certainly do.
Boiler, Snowflake, Arrowhead and 1 others liked this

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Don't you think it's possible to educate people?
I used to think so. But now, looking out at that great sea of stupid out there, I'm not so sure.

I still hold some hope that this current situation might turn the tide, but it's hard to keep positive in the face of so much crass stupidity and wilful ignorance :(

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I know plenty of people who want a better, fairer society, but their main motivating factor is still "how does this affect me personally now?". And that almost always translates into Tory votes.

It's why recycling and green energy come in for such stick - because the benefit is largely intangible and deferred. Whereas throwing your rubbish wherever you like gets it out of your line of sight right away. Obeying the speed limit might mean better fuel consumption and safer roads, but weigh that against getting to your destination quicker, and the sheer fun of driving fast. Yes, we need more housing and homelessness is a real problem, but would you either want to see your own house price dip, or one of them move in next door? And so on.

An example I've used before is Sky TV. As said previously, what Sky really sells is exclusivity. If we didn't have Sky, or BT Sport, you'd have all the sport on regular TV. Or new dramas, or arts events. Everyone would benefit, but when everyone advances together, you don't feel that so much, as everyone is still the same relative to you. But if you have access to those things and your neighbour doesn't, the advantage is tangible.

So people vote Tory, not because their local schools or hospitals are failing - oh, of course you hear horror stories but around here everything's fine (and anyway, whatever problems they have can be solved by a quick kick up the bum/toughening up/cutting the dead wood) - but because they don't see anything immediately wrong with their lives, and why should they pay for the stragglers? But for a significant shift, you need enough people to be directly affected by something, and want change.
Zuriblue, Watchman, Oblomov liked this

By Boiler
Cyclist wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:10 am
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Don't you think it's possible to educate people?
I used to think so. But now, looking out at that great sea of stupid out there, I'm not so sure.

I still hold some hope that this current situation might turn the tide, but it's hard to keep positive in the face of so much crass stupidity and wilful ignorance :(
Give it until Christmas and it'll be back to normal (attitudes, that is). We'll have people salivating over the hope of a no-deal Brexit because Covid-19 has marched the clock on.

By Boiler
My brother-in-law said that when he died he wanted to be stuffed and put behind the goal of his club, punching the air.

However, as a Birmingham City supporter he said it would be more realistic for him to be stuffed with his head in his hands.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:11 am
I know plenty of people who want a better, fairer society, but their main motivating factor is still "how does this affect me personally now?". And that almost always translates into Tory votes.

It's why recycling and green energy come in for such stick - because the benefit is largely intangible and deferred. Whereas throwing your rubbish wherever you like gets it out of your line of sight right away. Obeying the speed limit might mean better fuel consumption and safer roads, but weigh that against getting to your destination quicker, and the sheer fun of driving fast. Yes, we need more housing and homelessness is a real problem, but would you either want to see your own house price dip, or one of them move in next door? And so on.

An example I've used before is Sky TV. As said previously, what Sky really sells is exclusivity. If we didn't have Sky, or BT Sport, you'd have all the sport on regular TV. Or new dramas, or arts events. Everyone would benefit, but when everyone advances together, you don't feel that so much, as everyone is still the same relative to you. But if you have access to those things and your neighbour doesn't, the advantage is tangible.

So people vote Tory, not because their local schools or hospitals are failing - oh, of course you hear horror stories but around here everything's fine (and anyway, whatever problems they have can be solved by a quick kick up the bum/toughening up/cutting the dead wood) - but because they don't see anything immediately wrong with their lives, and why should they pay for the stragglers? But for a significant shift, you need enough people to be directly affected by something, and want change.
Andy sums it up well.
I'd love to think that current events got a few more of the "just about getting by" a bit more focused on what's happening one step down the ladder, because big events could easily land them there.

What I expect will happen is the likes of Hannan, O'Contrary and so many other siren voices will be handed the means to re-write history.
"There was nothing wrong except the economic impact, nobody really died, look at Sweden (They don't even need to edit their refugee posters for that one), Corbyn, NHS managed fine, there must be some fat to cut."

Laura will be telling all of Boris' miraculous Easter reincarnation like a latter day Mary Magdelene.
(What do you mean you didn't spot the symbolism)..
And the honest voices (who don't give good "outrage") will be quietly sidelined.
Kreuzberger, Boiler, Timbo and 2 others liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
AOB wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:52 pm
I read Raab was straight in with an update of how Boris is getting on, in the daily briefing. Yeah, first things first eh?
Did I miss it, of have they removed the bodycount form their press-conference.

It looked set to top 1,000, so I wonder if the announcement has been pulled from the agenda.

By Boiler
Bones McCoy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:01 pm
AOB wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:52 pm
I read Raab was straight in with an update of how Boris is getting on, in the daily briefing. Yeah, first things first eh?
Did I miss it, of have they removed the bodycount form their press-conference.

It looked set to top 1,000, so I wonder if the announcement has been pulled from the agenda.
It's not even made it to Worldometers.

By Snowflake
Boiler wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:50 am
My brother-in-law said that when he died he wanted to be stuffed and put behind the goal of his club, punching the air.

However, as a Birmingham City supporter he said it would be more realistic for him to be stuffed with his head in his hands.
The club that was, as legend has it, cursed by a member of the traveller community. Barry Fry, during his tenure as manager attempted to lift it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... all-curses
"We went three months without winning … We were desperate, so I pissed in all four corners, holding it in while I waddled round the pitch," he said in this interview. "Did it work? Well, we started to win and I thought it had, then they fucking sacked me, so probably not."
Cyclist liked this
Jacob Rees-Mogg

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonPease1/status/1267[…]

The Trump Presidency

The only time I've ever seen her smile was when sh[…]

Roll Call

The gout I've had for the last few days has subsid[…]

Boris Johnson

You know we thought we couldn't be more fucked-ove[…]