Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47.3 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 7.1 % 😯 3.5 % :grinning: 27.1 % 🧥 0.8 % 🙏 1 % 😟 6 % :cry: 3.3 % :shit: 0.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
I just heard a weird noise outside, like someone banging a beer bottle with a stick. Then I remembered it was eight o'clock!

For those that follow such things, the numbers have finally appeared on Worldometers for today and it's 4,344/881 (which the Daily Mirror had an hour ago?)

I'm pleased Johnson's out of ICU, however reprehensible a bastard he is. ICU is too often the last stop before the mortuary.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:07 pm
I just heard a weird noise outside, like someone banging a beer bottle with a stick. Then I remembered it was eight o'clock!

For those that follow such things, the numbers have finally appeared on Worldometers for today and it's 4,344/881 (which the Daily Mirror had an hour ago?)

I'm pleased Johnson's out of ICU, however reprehensible a bastard he is. ICU is too often the last stop before the mortuary.
Biggest turnout yet for the 8 o'clock clap.

I wonder whether all the extra people (and wooden spoons and saucepans) were inspired to provide a contrast to Clap for Boris.

By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
KevS wrote:Out of ICU. Now what?

The newsreader on the radio then said he was now on a "normal ward". Bet he has his own room though. Can't imagine Boris on an open plan ward, with all the oiks somehow!
satnav wrote:He will now have a three week rest so that he is ready to start doing the daily briefings when the figures start to look better and he will be the one to announce that the lockdown is to be slowly lifted.
There's a poll on the IPSOS site asking people when they think life will return to normal. The BBC site are incorrectly reporting the question as being "when do you think the lockdown will end". That for me is symptomatic of the gradually decreasing standards of the BBC. They are saying 41% expect it to last 6 months. That's not what people were asked. I would say Autumn as back to normal, and therefore I would be in that 41%, but not the lockdown which I expect will gradually be eased in stages, very late May.

By Boiler
AOB wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:32 am
There's a poll on the IPSOS site asking people when they think life will return to normal. The BBC site are incorrectly reporting the question as being "when do you think the lockdown will end". That for me is symptomatic of the gradually decreasing standards of the BBC. They are saying 41% expect it to last 6 months. That's not what people were asked. I would say Autumn as back to normal, and therefore I would be in that 41%, but not the lockdown which I expect will gradually be eased in stages, very late May.
If HMG was sticking to the three-week review periods, the ninth week would bring us to the Whitsun Bank Holiday. That, I think, would allow statisticians and others to see what effects the 'lockdown' has had, and is having, on the numbers of cases and sadly, deaths.

Assuming it has the desired effect, I would imagine some relaxation of the more strict rules but still to practice "social distancing". The biggest worry for HMG will be the effect on the economy by this time. So I think your timetable is not unrealistic but I am concerned about a second wave for winter.

By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:29 pm

If HMG was sticking to the three-week review periods, the ninth week would bring us to the Whitsun Bank Holiday. That, I think, would allow statisticians and others to see what effects the 'lockdown' has had, and is having, on the numbers of cases and sadly, deaths.

Assuming it has the desired effect, I would imagine some relaxation of the more strict rules but still to practice "social distancing". The biggest worry for HMG will be the effect on the economy by this time. So I think your timetable is not unrealistic but I am concerned about a second wave for winter.
Additionally, Prof Ferguson said today the ease of lockdown is likely to involve age and geography.

I've got a feeling pubs are going to be among the last businesses to be allowed to reopen, which will no doubt bring forth more gobshitery from Tim Martin. Over the last 3 or 4 years I've come to understand why, when I used to work in recruitment, that Wetherspoons were notorious for having a high staff turnover. You never find Wethies in the Times top 50 companies to work for. Iceland on the other hand, always seem to be in there. It matters to staff how they are treated, and that comes from the very top. My conclusion is drawn.
Boiler, mattomac liked this

By Boiler
AOB wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:29 pm
Additionally, Prof Ferguson said today the ease of lockdown is likely to involve age and geography.

I've got a feeling pubs are going to be among the last businesses to be allowed to reopen, which will no doubt bring forth more gobshitery from Tim Martin. Over the last 3 or 4 years I've come to understand why, when I used to work in recruitment, that Wetherspoons were notorious for having a high staff turnover. You never find Wethies in the Times top 50 companies to work for. Iceland on the other hand, always seem to be in there. It matters to staff how they are treated, and that comes from the very top. My conclusion is drawn.
In a sort of lowest-incidence areas first and working its way backwards to the major cities?
Jacob Rees-Mogg

........why deprive MPs who are not coming in[…]

The Trump Presidency

The only time I've ever seen her smile was when sh[…]

Roll Call

The gout I've had for the last few days has subsid[…]

Boris Johnson

You know we thought we couldn't be more fucked-ove[…]