Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 16.3 % ❤ 10.6 % :thumbsup: 3 % 😯 1.3 % :grinning: 11.4 % 🧥 0.1 % 🙏 8.9 % 😟 44.3 % :cry: 4.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Still sniffling, another hour on the garden post-lunch will probably make it worse but it has to be done. I might have my fortnightly shave after that. Life is one heady round of excitement.
The Red Arrow, Oblomov liked this

By Boiler
Damn.

I thought I'd look at the bicycle. Unfortunately, the box with some of the bits of 3-speed in it has been used as a mouse nest over winter and as a result, some of the ball bearings are rusted thanks to mouse wee :(

Oh well, I was going to buy new balls for it anyway; what's the best sort for a bicycle?
By The Rationalist
Membership Days
Cut my own hair for the first time today with some newly acquired clippers. I was impressed - Mrs A and the brats less so! Quality Assurance reveals a slightly idiosyncratic style and a pleasingly uneven length! Will be claiming bandwidth issues on this week's video calls!

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The Rationalist wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 pm
Cut my own hair for the first time today with some newly acquired clippers. I was impressed - Mrs A and the brats less so! Quality Assurance reveals a slightly idiosyncratic style and a pleasingly uneven length! Will be claiming bandwidth issues on this week's video calls!
I’ve been putting off a haircut and was intending to have a suave snip last Saturday to mark Corbyn’s departure. Now I’m going to have to look like Dave St Hubbins until June.
By WTF?
Membership Days
youngian wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:12 pm
The Rationalist wrote:
I’ve been putting off a haircut and was intending to have a suave snip last Saturday to mark Corbyn’s departure. Now I’m going to have to look like Dave St Hubbins until June.
I have no such concerns. Hair is for women, children and Americano Led Zeppelin trbute acts. Baldies of the world say man up and get rid of it! :D

By Snowflake
The Rationalist wrote:
By a strangely ironic twist of fate, I had a number 3 done the week before lockdown which see me OK for a month or so. Still have the BaByliss set in cupboard though ready for next time. :D

By bluebellnutter
It's a brave man / woman / child who laughs at someone cutting their own hair this early in the crisis unless they have full intent to style themselves on Cousin It.

By MisterMuncher
Boiler wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:54 pm
Damn.

I thought I'd look at the bicycle. Unfortunately, the box with some of the bits of 3-speed in it has been used as a mouse nest over winter and as a result, some of the ball bearings are rusted thanks to mouse wee :(

Oh well, I was going to buy new balls for it anyway; what's the best sort for a bicycle?
Depends where they are, I suppose, but steel in general. I assume you're using loose balls rather than cartridge bearings on something that age. For cartridge bearings, I ignore bike-rebranded stuff and just buy SKF or FAG bearings for the local machine works.

Spoke to a guy at a race last year, who spoke very highly of the ceramic hybrid bearings he'd had fitted in his headset. A rather expensive option for a bearing that, unless something very bad indeed happens, will never complete a full revolution. A case of nodding politely and waking away.

By MisterMuncher
bluebellnutter wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:12 pm
It's a brave man / woman / child who laughs at someone cutting their own hair this early in the crisis unless they have full intent to style themselves on Cousin It.

I'm genuinely seeing how far I can take my beard at this stage. It was already heading towards "a bit much" before lockdown. Billy Gibbons is in reach.

By spoonman
Speaking of bikes, One of my cousins is a store manager at a branch of Halfords in NI. She's been saying that in the past month they're been selling bicycles and bike accessories at around five times more than they usually would at this time of year. :?

By Boiler
MisterMuncher wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:56 pm
Boiler wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:54 pm
Damn.

Depends where they are, I suppose, but steel in general. I assume you're using loose balls rather than cartridge bearings on something that age. For cartridge bearings, I ignore bike-rebranded stuff and just buy SKF or FAG bearings for the local machine works.

Spoke to a guy at a race last year, who spoke very highly of the ceramic hybrid bearings he'd had fitted in his headset. A rather expensive option for a bearing that, unless something very bad indeed happens, will never complete a full revolution. A case of nodding politely and waking away.
Ta for that, MM. I did a bit of research in between having an anxiety attack over the mouse nest and having to sift through the now-shredded but dry tissue to retrieve a number of components with a magnet on a stick. Basically, I need 24 3/16" chrome steel balls. I'll order some tomorrow, along with a replacement indicator assembly. A bit of me really wants to stick the four-speed hub assembly I have in there but I will leave that for now: it's level ground around here so the two lower gears it offers may not be necessary.

By MisterMuncher
spoonman wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:20 pm
Speaking of bikes, One of my cousins is a store manager at a branch of Halfords in NI. She's been saying that in the past month they're been selling bicycles and bike accessories at around five times more than they usually would at this time of year. :?
Sounds about right. There's always a big jump in the fair weather crowd at this time of year, but it's rather silly at the minute. At least, on the 10-15 miles of flat there is around here. Not dangerous or illegal, nor breaking social distancing guidelines, just a lot of fairly wobbly folk pootling about. Not too many up round the hills, which is probably for the best in terms of safety.
Jacob Rees-Mogg

........why deprive MPs who are not coming in[…]

The Trump Presidency

The only time I've ever seen her smile was when sh[…]

Roll Call

The gout I've had for the last few days has subsid[…]

Boris Johnson

You know we thought we couldn't be more fucked-ove[…]