Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 37 % ❤ 1.4 % :thumbsup: 9.1 % 😯 8.2 % :grinning: 33.2 % 🧥 2.4 % 🙏 1.9 % 😟 2.4 % :cry: 3.8 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By spoonman
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Cyclist wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 am
For some reason, the thought of walking round a field while hitting my balls with a stick has never really appealed to me.
Sheesh! Sounds painful :grimacing:

There's a golf club less than 1/2 a mile from where I live - it is perhaps one of the better ones in trying its best to be socially inclusive - it has in the past teamed up with local secondary schools to host some free lessons to students and sponsor competitions, it's basic membership fees are reasonably affordable for the most part, and that the bar & function room is kept well clean & tidy without having a heavy snobbery about it. However, the history of the mens and ladies captains definitely lean towards a leadership that is dominated by those whom are more "well-to-do" - but that's probably down to the general cost of playing golf beyond an occasional past time. I recall Rory McIlroy's father saying that he had to work a second job as a barman in the evenings several nights a week to pay for his sons golfing fees & equiptment. But again, it does somewhat avoid the "golf club snob" aura that tends to affect a lot of club houses - we've had a couple of family celebrations in the golf club's function room in the last five years or so that also provided their own catering - and the overall price was very reasonable.

However, I just can't get into golf as a sport. It's just not for me. As Cycloon points out, there's a fair bit of technical play and no less a serious amount of skill involved to take account of the conditions of play - but I just find it boring. The closest I've done to cover a round was playing Konami Golf 2 on the MSX!

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Yes, individual skill in the ability to hit the ball correctly, but I get no sense of out thinking your opponent; he hits his ball, you hit yours and eventually you both end up on the same bit of grass, but you've not had to change tactics or try to play to his weakness, or react to his shot.......and on top of that, you can shove "the right sort belonging to the right club", social standing bollox, right up your hole (pun intended)

By cycloon
Watchman wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:34 pm
Yes, individual skill in the ability to hit the ball correctly, but I get no sense of out thinking your opponent; he hits his ball, you hit yours and eventually you both end up on the same bit of grass, but you've not had to change tactics or try to play to his weakness, or react to his shot.......and on top of that, you can shove "the right sort belonging to the right club", social standing bollox, right up your hole (pun intended)
True. I don't know, but I suspect the idea of having a 'partner'/rival watching you play is a sort of game, however. More like poker than tennis (even if not especially like poker... but I mean that it's more about the fact of the foe than the actual skill of hitting a ball/playing cards).

By MisterMuncher
I can't get my head around the thought process for golf. It's very much a game for one person, as such. The only real interaction with your opponents is by playing well or badly. Beyond maybe a bit of slagging, is there even a mental side to it?

(I am aware my preferred sport consists of going was quickly as you can without falling off to the untrained eye, but there's a bit more to it)

By Oblomov
Perhaps the mental side is one quietly releasing flatulence to distract their opponent as they line up a shot?

By spoonman
Oblomov wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:06 pm
Perhaps the mental side is one quietly releasing flatulence to distract their opponent as they line up a shot?
Arrowhead liked this
Twat of the Day

https://twitter.com/edmorrish/status/1266681588600[…]

The Trump Presidency

Odd you should mention this because a rabid Trump […]

Michael Gove

Sarah Vine's next column might actually be worth a[…]

Roll Call

Afternoon all, Beautiful day. Tempted to go for a[…]