Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 53.8 % ❤ 2.8 % :thumbsup: 15.9 % 😯 0.7 % :grinning: 22.8 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 0.7 % 😟 1.4 % :cry: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Note he has less of a solidified view and yet is still polling higher than the PM.

Three polls reported within 6 of each other, Yougov went back out today but the Government isn’t riding this one out. If a second wave hits in July then I do actually feel they are finished.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Scotland's death rate is not covering itself in glory but Sturgeon's ratings have risen even though she has some ackward questions to answer. People will forgive wrong turns if you look like you have your hands on the wheel. And I'm assuming Johnson's voters knew enough about him in December to be generous with their forgiveness. Not now it seems.
Timbo, Arrowhead liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
youngian wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:13 pm
Scotland's death rate is not covering itself in glory but Sturgeon's ratings have risen even though she has some ackward questions to answer. People will forgive wrong turns if you look like you have your hands on the wheel. And I'm assuming Johnson's voters knew enough about him in December to be generous with their forgiveness. Not now it seems.
That was forgiveness for his wandering eye and looseness with the truth. Whether tory voters will be as forgiving when their nearest and dearest have got sick and died is another.

Anecdotal, but my F-i-L is an ex-policeman. 72 years old, life-long Tory voter in a rock-solid Tory seat. And even he’s said this is it, and he’s not voting for them again.

By davidjay
mattomac wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:20 pm
My dad's friend voted Brexit and Tory, his daughter is a nurse and he has been totally brutal about the Tories, he has expressed that he won't be voting for them again.

The question will be, did he get lucky facing Livingstone and Corbyn.
He got lucky, and not just in that way. In the mayoral election he reaped the benefit of a perfect storm of an unpopular Labour government, Ken Livingstone treating London as his personal fiefdom and taking re-election for granted and also the growth of celebrity culture. The Johnson of 2007 was a different beast to the one now; he was pro-Europe, less overtly xenophobic and there was nothing really you could say about him because he was still largely an unknown political quality. No-one seemed to take his 2008 campaign seriously until he'd built up an unassailable lead (shades of Thatcher and the Tory leadership) and to have a discredited and 67 year old Livingstone run against him in 2012 was stupid, although even then he almost managed to lose.

Last December he had the inestimable advantage of standing against Corbyn, although even that, I believe, just increased his majority rather than made the difference between winning and losing. There was the sort of sea change James Callaghan famously spoke of in 1979 and Johnson's asset(s), the ability to make unthinking people like him, and to be all things to all men, came into its own.
Timbo, Malcolm Armsteen, Oblomov and 1 others liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Johnson was also helped in 2008 by a perceived spike in murders, though it's hard to see one in the aggregate numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London#Homicide

I expect that gentrification of London was, at that stage, mostly a bonus to the Tories. Of course the Tories have managed to lose a lot of those voters since by Brexit headbanging. He was extremely lucky to get Livingstone again as his opponent in 2012. Lots of us didn't realise the problem with Livingstone by that stage, and in any case, it's not a good idea to stick up somebody who lost last time. I think Oona King would have won.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Lond ... l_election

King could have squeezed enough second choices from Benita/Lib Dems and likely got virtually all the Greens Livingstone did.

By crabcakes_windermere
Predictably, the Corbyn fanclub are shitting a collective brick over the fact he wasn't there in person, shoving the statue over himself.

The guy wants to get a left of centre party into power in a country that's still giving Johnson 44% in polls. He's leading a near-miraculous recovery after his disastrous predecessor decimated their support. He said it should have come down long ago.

Anyone with half a brain can see what's going on. It's playing the only game in town. The one Jeremy refused to play and it got him (and the people who needed help the most) absolutely nowhere, because you can't change anything until you're in a position to do so.

I think it's great the statue came down. But I want to see unfair laws changed too, and you can't physically shove them into a river. The only way this country will really change is to get the Tories out of power, and that means appealing to a wider audience and sometimes making compromises. The difference with labour compromises is that it might sometimes mean you get someone making a statement that isn't as forthright or radical as you'd like. A Tory 'compromise' is chlorinated chicken and fuck UK farmers.
youngian, oboogie, lord_kobel and 1 others liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:22 am
He said it should have come down long ago...

[He's] playing the only game in town...

The only way this country will really change is to get the Tories out of power, and that means appealing to a wider audience and sometimes making compromises. The difference with labour compromises is that it might sometimes mean you get someone making a statement that isn't as forthright or radical as you'd like.
Nailed it, once again.

By Oblomov
I imagine a lot of people (and media) will miss his statement that the statue should have gone into a museum because history like that is still important to understanding who we were and how we've changed into what we are today. That was a sensible suggestion to me.

Still, hopefully he'll have an equally measured answer for the Churchill defacing. Johnson will probably throw these answers back at every opportunity on Wednesday.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I think it's great the statue came down. But I want to see unfair laws changed too, and you can't physically shove them into a river. The only way this country will really change is to get the Tories out of power, and that means appealing to a wider audience and sometimes making compromises.
To use a timely metaphor we can be Thomas Clarkson but Keir has to be Wilberforce.
Sir Keir Starmer

That's a very sensible scheme, and I expect the[…]

Roll Call

I should be taking the car out for a drive, but […]

Anneliese Dodds

It's not about looking smart so much as looking […]

Rishi Sunak

It's a very, very, low bar to hurdle for him. Im[…]