Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 15.2 % ❤ 10 % :thumbsup: 3.4 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 10.3 % 🧥 0.1 % 🙏 8 % 😟 47.8 % :cry: 4.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Well, it's been a day here at Armsteen Acres.
Can't say a lot due to confidentiality but we've had a big governors' meeting over the return of Year 6 on Thursday. I've spent the last 24 hours doing a lot of online research into the various points of view on schools returning - my conclusion is that they shouldn't - I think we are in the position of two naughty boys finding an unexploded shell and whacking it with a hammer to see what happens.

I used to do this shit for a living - now it knackers me!
Boiler, Abernathy, oboogie and 1 others liked this

By Kreuzberger
The Red Arrow wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:05 pm
Enjoy, Kreuzie - but you know what's coming next - stay safe, you old groover.
It's been a lovely bank holiday weekend. After this little exchange, we decided to go up to the documentation centre at Obersalzberg for an hour or two. That's a misnomer; it's actually an epic crime scene and, even though the Eagle's Nest is closed (for I know not what), that well-filmed ledge is still very much in existence.

Anyway, there was an hour's queue to socially-distantly get in, it was 16° tops and threatening to drizzle, and we sacked it in favour of a delightful caff for a beer, cheesy dumpling soup, and matchless views across the valley.

The PiL, he keeps his counsel, is a bit of an authority on the area. I found out this evening that he contributed hugely to a wee book about the area and the fact that the village essentially sprung up to service what became Adolf's airport.

Sorry, off topic. We're fine but gaining weight at a rate of knots. (These feckers can eat...)
Oblomov liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Morning Kreuz, morning everybody.

Early, innit?

I'm glad you've had a good break, K. I'm staying shielded, though I'd love to be out and taking pictures. But to be honest, the world at the moment is a place I'm quite happy to withdraw from, into my little, privileged bubble. But the world does impinge, in the heartfelt posts of my Facebook friends of colour, and in discussions and actions about re-opening schools and what the consequences of that might be, with the concerns of people here and in my larger circle. I am worried that I have family in the USA, although as far as I can see well away from danger. The people there must act against their government soon, surely.

Mrs A says that I tend to overthink things, and there's truth in that, but it is axiomatic to me that every decision we make has a moral dimension, and that the great imperative is to act with fairness and honesty. So 24 hours struggling with the decision whether or not to approve the opening of one junior school has been quite hard. In effect schools, and governing bodies, have been placed in a very difficult position by a mendacious and talentless government. The thought processes and decision making skills of some of my fellow governors have impressed, some others, not so much. But the decision is now made, the school will open as the staff and parents wish. I hope they don't regret it, or others along the chain of transmission don't pay for it.

Once I made those sorts of decisions every day, now it's harder. If he who saves a life saves the whole world, according to the Talmud, then just as surely he who ends a life ends the whole world, and a responsibility is not diminished by being shared.

I think I may visit my happy place, amongst the whelkmen of Carshalton-sur-Mer. I hope you all are in your happy places today.
Kreuzberger liked this

By Oblomov
Morning Malc, Arrer, comrades.

Gloomy brain fog currently swirls around me. I feel unable to say much else beyond that.

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:37 am
Morning Kreuz, morning everybody.

Early, innit?
Looks like you woke up about the time I got to sleep. I've had a quick follow-up call from the local practice after my eConsult and have been prescribed the tablets I wanted, but what I want to know is when did my name end up on a celestial list that says "make sure he gets important phone calls or deliveries the second he's emptied his bowels :lol: "??
By WTF?
Membership Days
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:47 pm
Well, it's been a day here at Armsteen Acres.
Can't say a lot due to confidentiality but we've had a big governors' meeting over the return of Year 6 on Thursday. I've spent the last 24 hours doing a lot of online research into the various points of view on schools returning - my conclusion is that they shouldn't - I think we are in the position of two naughty boys finding an unexploded shell and whacking it with a hammer to see what happens.

I used to do this shit for a living - now it knackers me!
Two of my mates are secondary school teachers. Both male, both late fifties and both terrified at the thought of going into a confined space with a bunch of rutting teenagers. I can't believe that they're even contemplating opening schools.
By WTF?
Membership Days
Boiler wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:35 am
...but what I want to know is when did my name end up on a celestial list that says "make sure he gets important phone calls or deliveries the second he's emptied his bowels :lol: "??
It's 5G. There's a prophet called Corbyn on the twitters who'll blow your mind, man! :shock:
Roll Call

I should be taking the car out for a drive, but […]

Anneliese Dodds

It's not about looking smart so much as looking […]

Rishi Sunak

It's a very, very, low bar to hurdle for him. Im[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

Mrs CW is a regular user of hospital car parks bec[…]