Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47 % ❤ 3.6 % :thumbsup: 8.8 % 😯 3.5 % :grinning: 27.2 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 1.2 % 😟 4.8 % :cry: 3 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
I'm willing to believe Johnson has been listening to advice from the start. What isn't mentioned is it's Johnson's choice to ignore that advice. Cummings may be the one making the decisions, but it's Johnson's flabby arse that's in the big chair.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... g-citizens

Boris Johnson lays out visa offer to nearly 3m Hong Kong citizens

I can't see this going down well with the Gammon.
I can see it watered down to "Visas for just the entrepreneurs".

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
One of the early acts of the Thatcher government was to bring in the British Nationality act, limiting automatic citizenship status to people who had been born in the UK or had an ancestor who had done so within 5 generations. The purpose was clear - fearing a repeat of the Vietnamese boat people, they wanted to keep out any Hong Kong Chinese fleeing after the 1997 handover.

Of course, it also removed citizenship from another group of people. Falklanders. Oops.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:13 am
You know we thought we couldn't be more fucked-over? Well...

From Tim Shipman in the Sunday Times m
A moment of “tense” standoff between the prime minister and Sir Mark Sedwill, Britain’s most senior civil servant, exposed growing fissures at the top over the implementation of his blueprint for lifting the lockdown.

In a meeting early last week, two sources said Johnson had listened as the detail of the plan was outlined but then asked: “Who is in charge of implementing this delivery plan?” One recalled: “There was just silence. He looked over at Sedwill and said, ‘Is it you?’ Sedwill said, ‘No, I think it’s you, prime minister.’”
oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:40 am
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... g-citizens

Boris Johnson lays out visa offer to nearly 3m Hong Kong citizens

I can't see this going down well with the Gammon.
I can see it watered down to "Visas for just the entrepreneurs".
Colonial paternalism is part of Tory Brexiter DNA. Nativist dimwits won’t see it that way and will give Farage a way back by spreading fear around Clacton that Fu Manchu is moving next door.

By The Red Arrow
Starmer's enjoying another hearty breakfast...the pork haystack reduced to being disappointed that Starmer's not getting behind this fuck-up.* Private letter from Starmer going public soon. Piss-weak stored 'zinger' set up by Hunt, raises not a titter.

*Make it these fuck-ups, he's moved onto the voting debacle now...

oboogie liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Boiler wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:12 am
Johnson is rattled at PMQs. To be honest, he's lost it.

Lots of bashing of the dispatch box.
A few more of these and I'm starting to suspect he may well absolutely lose it. He clearly loathes being held accountable and is too lazy by far to have prepared.

By Abernathy
Johnson is just blustering and bumbling now, making no attempt actually to answer any question. Not a good look.

Starmer correct deliberately not to mention Cummingsgate. Not that he is "moving on" as Johnson desires, just that the damage is done, and the political advantage to Labour in the bank. It's ALL about Captain Bluster now. Skewer the bastard.
oboogie, Cyclist, mattomac and 1 others liked this

By The Red Arrow
Dunt:-
What's noticeable is Johnson. Firstly the cynicism of the responses - the constant attempts to portray scrutiny of government as an attack on the public themselves.

But more notably the anger. He really does seem incensed by the idea that he can be challenged. And of course it's hard not to assess that in the context of his constant attempts to avoid tough interviews, media outlets perceived as unfriendly.

The raising of his voice, the jabbing of his finger. If there is a persistent sense, widely discussed, that he is losing these encounters, I suspect that he's going to start slipping up badly, both in manner and content.
Oblomov liked this

What a bloody disaster. https://twitter.com/Ian[…]

He was brilliant when banging on about his rather […]

The Trump Presidency

It feels wrong to laugh at this given the circumst[…]

Roll Call

I'm late to the party on petrol pumps but I first […]