Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 41.8 % ❤ 3.8 % :thumbsup: 7.4 % 😯 3.8 % :grinning: 36.1 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 1 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:50 am
Put them on the streets to enforce the law.

Army people will generally (hah!) be among the first to point out the downsides of putting them in charge.
2 things they're not at all keen on: Domestic law enforcement, National Service.
Neither is helpful for quality or morale.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Bring back the royal yacht to add peak stupidity to this farce. All the top Brexit cretins are on the case.
MPs call for Brexit Britannia to set sail in ploy to boost trade deals abroad

There was sadness in 1994 when John Major's government decided not to refit Britannia, then dismay when Tony Blair refused to replace the iconic vessel.

Brexiteers say it is time to right a colossal mistake and, in Nigel Farage's words, "reverse the vandalism of Blair". As foreign secretary, Boris Johnson backed a new yacht if it could be funded privately, saying it would "add greatly to the soft power of this country".

Lord Jones, CBI director general from 2000 to 2006 and a senior trade minister from 2007 to 2009, says it should be funded by the National Lottery, the private sector and the taxpayer.

"I have never wavered in my view that the quicker this country got another royal yacht the better," he said. "The last thing on earth it would be is a bastion of privilege.

"Coming out of Covid, and leaving the European Union, I cannot think of a better way in which we can tell the world, 'We're back, we're here to stay, and we're here to take our proper position'."

Former defence minister Mark Francois said: "Economically, we cannot tax our way out of Covid-19 so we will have to grow our way out, in which case a new royal yacht, as a floating embassy, but with strict biosecurity measures built in, would be a real asset in helping British business showcase ourselves."

In 44 years, Britannia called at more than 600 ports in 135 countries. Former Environment Secretary Owen Paterson said: "The most powerful multi-multibillionaire would do anything to get an invite. It was an incredibly stupid decision to get rid of Britannia."

John Longworth, former director general of the British Chambers of Commerce, stressed the importance of a royal yacht in post-Covid reality. He said: "It is important in this era that our leaders have access to top-rate medical facilities if we expect them to represent us around the world. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12894 ... trade-deal

By KevS
"The terms you've offered on this trade deal are ridiculous! Give me one good reason why we should agree to it?"

"We have a posh boat."

"Where do I sign?"

By Boiler
More to the point; how can the party laughably known as the "party of fiscal responsibility" justify the expenditure on such an item when the country's finances are going to be absolutely f****d in the aftermath of the pandemic?

Oh, how I'd love for Lizzie and Charlie to say "we don't want a yacht".

By KevS
That could be more likely than we think to be fair. I don't think Brenda does so much foreign travel these days considering she's in her mid nineties, and the lad is likely to be against it for environmental reasons....

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Lawson moving back to the UK to be nearer to his tax accountant.
Brexiteer politician Nigel Lawson is selling his house in France and is set to return to the UK - months after announcing he was planning to apply for French residency.

Lawson has not applied for residency with his local authority, the préfecture of the Gers, and there is no record of his application.

He told Connexion, a newspaper for the English community in France, that was he selling up and blamed “French bureaucracy” for not yet receiving his card.

“My house is on the market. It’s well known that I live here, and when I’ve sold it I’ll be moving back to where my children and grandchildren live.”

According to social media speculation, Lawson would have had to have become a tax resident in France to obtain residency, and such a move would have jeopardised his seat in the House of Lords.

A French Interior Ministry source told the newspaper that tax residency abroad would usually block someone from being considered an habitual resident of France - something that is necessary for obtaining a carte de séjour. https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-5920438

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Lawson has not applied for residency with his local authority, the préfecture of the Gers, and there is no record of his application.
Is that the French bureaucracy he's whining about? Maybe he did put in his application but some dastardly Frenchman has 'accidentally' lost it.

By Malcolm Armsteen
The offices dealing with these things are small - one or two people - and they have other tasks. And they have been flooded with these requests, unsurprisingly. I hear other people saying there are long waiting times and 'waiting quotas' (ie no new requests accepted until present ones processed) and those people don't have the problem of being taxed in France whilst a member of the House of Lords - like Lord Rothermere...

By Bones McCoy
Cyclist wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:21 pm
Is that the French bureaucracy he's whining about? Maybe he did put in his application but some dastardly Frenchman has 'accidentally' lost it.
DisKraceful - totally worse than Windrush.
Schmee liked this

By Andy McDandy
"Ah, c'est ici! Le lettre de la grosse con Anglais qui a la fille avec les seins enormes! Qu'est-ce que tu veux faire, Jean-Claude?"

"Mettez le lettre dans le pissoir, Rene."
Boris Johnson

There's something about Andrew Pierce that makes m[…]

US election 2020

Thorough - and depressing - exploration by The Atl[…]

Especially if you lick them first

Richard Littlejohn

£280000 a year for spouting utter shite? […]