Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 53.6 % ❤ 2 % :thumbsup: 6 % 😯 3.3 % :grinning: 28.5 % 🙏 2 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 3.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Yes interesting thread, it was all going to be so easy, wasn't it? Johnson as head clown, bumbling around, waving the flag. The rest of them making a killing from their pet projects. Cummings reading the runes and steering the ship through divided waters.
They are stuck in permanent campaigning mode, worryingly they don’t have the skills or insight to administer the country and manage complex dynamic issues.
Permanently on the back foot operating whack-a-mole reactive management.
All too reminiscent of Wotsit Hitler.
Timbo, Oblomov liked this
By satnav
When you look at how mediocre the current cabinet is you after wonder if Cummings helped select the cabinet so that he would be able to easily manipulate ministers to follow is agenda. Whilst most cabinet members rushed to defend him when he was caught breaking the lockdown Priti Patel and Gavin Williamson didn't go out of their way to support which might suggests they don't like taking orders from him and would rather see the back of him so they could pursue their own policies.

By crabcakes_windermere
The problem with putting incompetent backstabbing egomaniacs in posts because you think they’re stupid enough to follow your orders In lieu of having any of their own is that they’re still backstabbing egomaniacs.

Williamson, Raab, Patel and Gove are all alike in that they all think like Johnson - that they deserve to be Prime Minister, and don’t believe an absolute lack of competence to be any sort of a barrier to achieving this. If Cummings is an obstacle to that and there’s a way to get rid of him, I don’t doubt for a second they’d take it.
Boiler, Timbo, Oblomov liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
satnav wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:25 am
When you look at how mediocre the current cabinet is you after wonder if Cummings helped select the cabinet so that he would be able to easily manipulate ministers to follow is agenda.
I think, to be honest, that was always the aim, with Johnson's gleeful collusion.
Whilst most cabinet members rushed to defend him when he was caught breaking the lockdown Priti Patel and Gavin Williamson didn't go out of their way to support which might suggests they don't like taking orders from him and would rather see the back of him so they could pursue their own policies.
Not sure. I thought Patel was out of things at the time - too much of a nasty figure? If you remember there were lots of comments that she had become invisible. As for Williamson, perhaps the apparent takeover of Education by Cummings/Johnson and possibly Gove has put him off-piste.
Timbo liked this
By satnav
It looks like the Cummings power grab has moved on a pace with Mark Sedwell being forced out from his job as Cabinet Secretary. Boris is clearly trying to get him to go quietly by offering him a number of made up jobs. Hopefully Sedwell will do the right thing and knife Cummings and Johnson on his way out.

By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
Boiler, Kreuzberger, Cyclist and 4 others liked this

By Andy McDandy
Viz goes pretty much all out on Cummings this month. As well as the full page plate ad, there are a few letters about him, a pisstake of Cobra meetings, and a "Spot the Clue" mystery starring Detective Boris Johnson investigating the seemingly open and shut case of Cummings spraying shit all over everyone*.

*Spoiler: Johnson decides he's innocent.
Tubby Isaacs, Boiler, Timbo liked this

By Catkins
Good thread here on the Perm Sec from the DoJ appearing before a Commons Committee. Another one on the way out?
His term is up in August.

Keep an eye on the MOJ - the government are rumbling about removing trial by jury (as a 'temporary measure' of course) to deal with the courts backlog post-Covid19. Except that the backlog is mainly caused by the government having only allowed a minority of available courts to run over the last few years as they weren't prepared to pay for judges.
Roll Call

There are also law clinics, which aren’t a b[…]

The Tories, Generally

Did he? I thought he didn’t do “gestur[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Tir on a toboggan! Have a read of this. htt[…]

Meanwhile in New Zealand

I'm no expert, but I think Jacina Ardern might jus[…]