Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47.1 % ❤ 3.5 % :thumbsup: 8 % 😯 3.3 % :grinning: 27.7 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 1.2 % 😟 5.1 % :cry: 3 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Oblomov
I consider myself very fortunate to have grown up in the New Labour tenure, and I'm ashamed and regretful that I didn't do more with the opportunities.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:29 pm
Has anyone heard the saying ‘fit as a butcher’s dog’ before Johnson used it to describe himself?
Yes, I've known and used it all my life and, as far as I know, it's common parlance. I've lived in a lot of places around the UK and nobody's ever remarked on my usage of the phrase, so I assumed it was universal. In fact I'm curious to know where you grew up/lived since that you've not come across it before?

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Used in a dog food advert, it was. For Butcher's dog food. To the tune of 'Bladen Races', it didn't really fit.

"I've seen more meat on a butcher's pencil" also used here - and a good fit for Johnson's policies and performances when scrutinised - eh, groovers :wink:

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 pm
youngian wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:29 pm
Has anyone heard the saying ‘fit as a butcher’s dog’ before Johnson used it to describe himself?
Yes, I've known and used it all my life and, as far as I know, it's common parlance. I've lived in a lot of places around the UK and nobody's ever remarked on my usage of the phrase, so I assumed it was universal. In fact I'm curious to know where you grew up/lived since that you've not come across it before?
East Anglia. I’ll probably hear the phrase everywhere now I’ve heard it once. ‘More meat on a butcher’s apron’ to describe skinniness is familiar.
Oblomov, oboogie liked this

By Oblomov
I’m familiar with the expression but it’s rarely used, probably because the pesky EUSSR and their draconian elf ‘n’ safety diktats banned dogs from being on the shop floor at the butchers

By Malcolm Armsteen
The Red Arrow wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:19 pm
Used in a dog food advert, it was. For Butcher's dog food. To the tune of 'Bladen Races', it didn't really fit.

"I've seen more meat on a butcher's pencil" also used here - and a good fit for Johnson's policies and performances when scrutinised - eh, groovers :wink:
When teaching I was always fond of 'I've seen more brains on a butcher's apron'.

By Kreuzberger
Comparisons to the physical condition of said mutt are ubiquitous, I would have thought. "As fit as a trout" is a West of Scotland thing. Paisley, possibly.

By Abernathy
Kreuzberger wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:46 pm
Comparisons to the physical condition of said mutt are ubiquitous, I would have thought. "As fit as a trout" is a West of Scotland thing. Paisley, possibly.
Nah, definitely not Paisley.
By satnav
In his interview with the Mail Johnson claimed that people who were hit by austerity would not suffer from the latest economic crisis. But this is totally ridiculous because none of the cuts made in the name of austerity have actually been reversed, the bus services that were cut have not be restored, libraries have not re-opened, Sure Start centres have not re-opened and cuts to social services have not been reversed.

To make things worse in our area the Tories have cut grants to groups like the Unemployed Workers centres and other charities that help people who have suffered as a result of austerity. So austerity is going to be around for a long time yet and sharp rises in unemployment will just compound the situation.
oboogie, The Red Arrow, Watchman and 2 others liked this

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:In his interview with the Mail Johnson claimed that people who were hit by austerity would not suffer from the latest economic crisi
I think Johnson was referring to business owners who suffered a small hit in profits, *not* the common plebs who are beneath his notice and unimportant anyway.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
I've been comparing Spaffer's FDR impersonation with his tunure as London Mayor.

Readers with long memories may recall a string of well trailed vanity projects.
Many of them going the fill "consultation" round (Trebles all round for the mates).
Some failing to go further, others leaving expensive white elephants.
Boris Johnson

One rule for us... It's like Russian dolls full […]

Wait...but...what? You mean...they...they...were..[…]

Labour MPs I'd like to hit with a haddock

I'll cut them some slack in that it may have been […]

Roll Call

Morning Munch, morning everybody. Up at 6 this mo[…]