Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47.9 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 9.6 % 😯 3.3 % :grinning: 26.1 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 1 % 😟 4.8 % :cry: 3 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Oblomov
The Red Arrow wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 am
One rule for us...
It's like Russian dolls full of assholes!
The spoiled apple doesn't fall far from the rotten tree.

I really ought to look more into Stanley's fatherhood techniques and see if it doomed his son into being a loathable wretch like Cummings' mother did to him. It's a mystery that Jo Johnson has turned out as (relatively) decent as he has.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Oblomov wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:34 pm
The spoiled apple doesn't fall far from the rotten tree.

I really ought to look more into Stanley's fatherhood techniques and see if it doomed his son into being a loathable wretch like Cummings' mother did to him. It's a mystery that Jo Johnson has turned out as (relatively) decent as he has.
Ironically, it might be a case of the younger son getting less attention meaning he *didn't* turn out such a rancid self-serving sociopath.
Cyclist, Oblomov liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Valiant attempt by the Mail to big up Bozo’s woeful performances. Perhaps I’m missing something and millions do see Johnson through the same eyes. Or its wish fulfilment. Starmer is a boring lawyer falling flat against swashbuckling Boris is the predictable line from write Henry Deedes. I assume his surname opened doors which his lack of journalistic flair couldn’t.
Even when Sir Keir Starmer gets the better of Boris Johnson at PMQs, as he did yesterday, it's hard to declare him the outright victor.
For all the Labour leader's clever clogs queries and forensic abilities, he remains the most insipid figure at the despatch box. Drab. Dull.
Trouble is he's such a lawyer. Not the sort of glamorous slick shooter you see in US legal dramas, dressed tip-to-toe in Armani and yelling 'objection, your honour!' with manly vigour.
No, Sir Keir is a real life legal eagle, one of those prodding, probing bods obsessed with statistics and mind-numbing details that leave poor jurors bamboozled. https://mol.im/a/8481549
By The Rationalist
Membership Days
"one of those prodding, probing bods obsessed with statistics and mind-numbing details" who takes smart decisions and gets things done in the right way because he takes time to look at the details and implications and arrives at well defined and practical and executable outcomes!

As opposed to a "I want everyone to like me, we have too many fucking experts, wiff-waff jester" who is a monstrous clusterfuck!
youngian, oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Godwin’s Law apology but I’m reminded of the British prosecutor at Nuremberg (David Maxwell-Fyfe I think) who warned his US colleagues who weren’t making much progress that you can’t match Nazis with theatrics and blustering emotion as that’s their stock in trade. Cold forensic prosecution with facts, figures and dates that they can’t wriggle out of was what nailed Goering and his colleagues. The film about the David Irving libel trial had a scene with Antony Julius making the same point.
oboogie liked this
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
There is no doubt that Starmer out performs Johnson every week at PMQs but how many people actually watch PMQs every week? All you see on the news is one question from Starmer and the reply from Boris. Johnson is probably hoping that when the house of commons is packed out again and becomes more of a bear pit he will be able to pay to the galleries while his backbenches drown out Starmer.
Boiler liked this
The Trump Presidency

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/12903299935[…]

Roll Call

What a lovely name. I hope she wears it in happine[…]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

And of course Matt Zerb-Cousin in joining in - […]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1290407682[…]