Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47.9 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 9.6 % 😯 3.3 % :grinning: 26.1 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 1 % 😟 4.8 % :cry: 3 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:40 pm
Valiant attempt by the Mail to big up Bozo’s woeful performances. Perhaps I’m missing something and millions do see Johnson through the same eyes. Or its wish fulfilment. Starmer is a boring lawyer falling flat against swashbuckling Boris is the predictable line from write Henry Deedes. I assume his surname opened doors which his lack of journalistic flair couldn’t.
Even when Sir Keir Starmer gets the better of Boris Johnson at PMQs, as he did yesterday, it's hard to declare him the outright victor.
For all the Labour leader's clever clogs queries and forensic abilities, he remains the most insipid figure at the despatch box. Drab. Dull.
Trouble is he's such a lawyer. Not the sort of glamorous slick shooter you see in US legal dramas, dressed tip-to-toe in Armani and yelling 'objection, your honour!' with manly vigour.
No, Sir Keir is a real life legal eagle, one of those prodding, probing bods obsessed with statistics and mind-numbing details that leave poor jurors bamboozled. https://mol.im/a/8481549
And the BTL were against him. There's hope yet.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Ratings have never been the main importance of PMQs. A consistently flailing PM or opposition leader will sap a party’s morale. I should know I’m a Labour Party member who saw Corbyn at it for five years.
Last edited by youngian on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbo, Tubby Isaacs, Oblomov liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
I know political sketchwriting is variable at the best of times, but Jeez.
Sir Keir's bundle of evidence did not corroborate this. Apparently the Government had not provided Leicester with sufficient testing data. Eek! Data alert.

He reeled off some flim-flam about 'pillar one' and 'pillar two' data not being passed on to the local authorities. Pillar one data? Sorry, m'lud. Lost me already, I'm afraid.
Yeah, because only a boring data geek could possibly care about local authorities knowing how many people have Covid. This data was so boring and useless the government published totals for all LAs by the end of the day.
Timbo, Oblomov liked this

By Oblomov
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 pm
I know political sketchwriting is variable at the best of times, but Jeez.
Sir Keir's bundle of evidence did not corroborate this. Apparently the Government had not provided Leicester with sufficient testing data. Eek! Data alert.

He reeled off some flim-flam about 'pillar one' and 'pillar two' data not being passed on to the local authorities. Pillar one data? Sorry, m'lud. Lost me already, I'm afraid.
Yeah, because only a boring data geek could possibly care about local authorities knowing how many people have Covid. This data was so boring and useless the government published totals for all LAs by the end of the day.
Bleedin' 'eck, I thought journos were used to sift through mountains of data and legalese in documents so they can do their main job of holding government to account?

Does it need to be like in The Big Short and have Mary Berry explain complex instruments of statistics with an overly on the nose cake baking metaphor?
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Andy McDandy
If I was being charitable, I'd suggest that Deedes has been told to write it up as a Bozo "win", but literally has no material to back up such a claim, knows it, so is writing it as "he won, if you don't count all the goals".
Tubby Isaacs, Oblomov liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
davidjay wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:58 am
I wonder if the name Ghislaine Maxwell might be causing Boris some lost sleep and there might be a connection with the hold Cummings has over him?
Seems like Johnson only knew her some considerable time ago, so I suspect he's (regrettably) probably not being looked at in the same manner as prince no-sweat.
The Trump Presidency

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/12903299935[…]

Roll Call

What a lovely name. I hope she wears it in happine[…]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

And of course Matt Zerb-Cousin in joining in - […]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1290407682[…]