Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 28.8 % ❤ 3.4 % :thumbsup: 30.5 % 😯 5.1 % :grinning: 11.9 % 🙏 3.4 % 😟 10.2 % :cry: 6.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Given that the principal reason for Trump seeking re-election is that only by continuing to be president can he avoid most of the criminal charges that are queued up to be brought against him once his presidency ends, whether through their expiry under statute of limitation or just to enable him to continue to thumb his nose for another 4 years, I'd say that Trump is highly unlikely to stand down voluntarily before the election.
oboogie liked this

By KevS
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
In my wilder tin foil hat moments, I could see a staged assassination attempt to redeem his legacy a la Francis Urquhart at the end of the House of Cards trilogy.

Admittedly, I can't see him actually being killed like FU was, but you get the idea....

By Tubby Isaacs
KevS wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:08 pm
In my wilder tin foil hat moments, I could see a staged assassination attempt to redeem his legacy a la Francis Urquhart at the end of the House of Cards trilogy.
Like Francois Mitterrand.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/peop ... 23110.html
A curious incident hung over him. In 1959, after he had been elected as a senator, he claimed that there had been a right-wing plot to assassinate him, and that he had only escaped by taking refuge in the Luxembourg Gardens, in Paris. Later, it emerged he had known all about this attack and had acted in connivance with his assailants.

By Tubby Isaacs

Gerald Ford actually came close in the end.

Amazing to look at that and see that Bush Snr was doing relatively well at this stage and still lost by a long way. Obviously, Perot was a nuisance too him but AFAIK Clinton would have likely got enough Perot votes to win anyway.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:54 am
That's the pond I'm fishing out of. Wouldn't be that surprised if he ended up doing a 'Captain Bob' Maxwell.
Off topic, but minor claim to fame; my cousin was Capt Bob's dentist

By youngian
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:42 pm
Amazing to look at that and see that Bush Snr was doing relatively well at this stage and still lost by a long way. Obviously, Perot was a nuisance too him but AFAIK Clinton would have likely got enough Perot votes to win anyway.

Good doc on Netflix about veteran fixer Roger Stone who worked for Perot’s Reform Party in order to promote a successor candidate so loopy (Pat Buchanan) he wouldn’t deprive Bush Jr of the presidency in 2000. For good measure a more liberal attractive figure would flirt with standing against Buchanan and slag him off. I liked the cut of the bloke’s gib going for the jugular. He accused Buchanan of being a Hitler worshipper, racist, abuser of women’s rights and homophobe and couldn’t understand why anyone would vote for a candidate so nasty. It was Donald Trump.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By The Rationalist
Membership Days
Watchman wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:38 pm
The Red Arrow wrote:
That's the pond I'm fishing out of. Wouldn't be that surprised if he ended up doing a 'Captain Bob' Maxwell.
Off topic, but minor claim to fame; my cousin was Capt Bob's dentist
Captain Bob used to dine at my Grandparents house - my Grandpa was writing scientific material for Pergamon Press. Rude, ill-mannered and narcissistic so no surprises there!

As a young auditor, I also got a ride on the Maxwell copter from Headington to Maxwell House to deliver some important papers! In my defence, had nothing to do with the Pension Fund audit.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
My cousin was a bit more circumspect in his observations, but there again, when you're hovering over some ones gaping mouth, drill in hand......you can come over a bit Laurence Olivier

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
The Red Arrow wrote:
He didn't bob though, he sunk.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Watchman wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:20 am
My cousin was a bit more circumspect in his observations, but there again, when you're hovering over some ones gaping mouth, drill in hand......you can come over a bit Laurence Olivier
Just remembered one thing he did tell me; the body wasn't even dry before the grieving widow was knocking on his door after his dental records, and later he did have a visit from the "men in suits"
The Tories, Generally

Everyone to blame but themselves... https://twitt[…]

Richard Littlejohn

The Mail line is to be against WFH not just becaus[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

Its almost as though they dont know what pragmat[…]

Roll Call

The sting is better (thank you all soooo much for […]