Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 35.1 % :thumbsup: 8.1 % :grinning: 37.8 % 😟 10.8 % :cry: 5.4 % :shit: 2.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's going to be Wetherspoons and Sports Direct vouchers isn't it?

Sunak considers £500 vouchers for all UK adults to spend in Covid-hit firms

Chancellor urged to introduce a scheme that has jump-started other countries’ blighted hospitality and retail sectors
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -hit-firms

See also: Sunday, 5 July 2020
Government Handouts - Yeah But No But
https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... o-but.html

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:05 pm
Rishi's back, with a cultural industries plan. Why wouldn't Bozo announce this himself? Is he going to clear off and leave Rishi in charge?
Johnson’s dithered on the arts as his supporters think its all about subsidising luvvies to prance around in tights and not real work.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By AOB
I can't see the voucher scheme going ahead. Some businesses that don't qualify could claim it was unfair. And I'm guessing if vouchers are posted to every house they will be in easily recognisable envelopes and liable to "go missing" somewhere along the way. Administratively it will be a lot more complex than "every adult gets a £500 voucher and every kid £250" sounds. Probably in a gift card format, people will need to keep track of their balance so the Government will need to create a website for that and for people to report lost or stolen or damaged cards, and there will be balance disputes, complaints retailers not accepting their card etc etc. Banks and lenders have whole depts of trained staff to deal with work like that so nah, a Boris Government isn't getting something like that up and running.

Vulnerable people will be targeted, as it will obviously be known everyone is getting one. Controlling partners, parents not spending their kids money appropriately, people selling their vouchers on for cash...it's a non-starter.
Last edited by AOB on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:00 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:05 pm
Rishi's back, with a cultural industries plan. Why wouldn't Bozo announce this himself? Is he going to clear off and leave Rishi in charge?
Johnson’s dithered on the arts as his supporters think its all about subsidising luvvies to prance around in tights and not real work.
Unless it's some property developer* giving you a year's ticket to Glynbourne, or a box for all the latest productions
* Other dodgy professions are available

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
AOB wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:49 am
I can't see the voucher scheme going ahead. Some businesses that don't qualify could claim it was unfair. And I'm guessing if vouchers are posted to every house they will be in easily recognisable envelopes and liable to "go missing" somewhere along the way. Administratively it will be a lot more complex than "every adult gets a £500 voucher and every kid £250" sounds. Probably in a gift card format, people will need to keep track of their balance so the Government will need to create a website for that and for people to report lost or stolen or damaged cards, and there will be balance disputes, complaints retailers not accepting their card etc etc. Banks and lenders have whole depts of trained staff to deal with work like that so nah, a Boris Government isn't getting something like that up and running.

Vulnerable people will be targeted, as it will obviously be known everyone is getting one. Controlling partners, parents not spending their kids money appropriately, people selling their vouchers on for cash...it's a non-starter.
I'm sure there's a simple solution.

Moscow Dom knows a great bunch of digital experts.

By KevS
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:16 am
Post-Imperialist arse gravy.
Mate of mine saw them at the Camden Roundhouse in 79. He's got all their albums.

By davidjay
KevS wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:46 am
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:16 am
Post-Imperialist arse gravy.
Mate of mine saw them at the Camden Roundhouse in 79. He's got all their albums.
I saw them when they supported Throbbing Gristle at the Crypt Club a year earlier. I wasn't impressed.

By Abernathy
Typically, it isn't "world-leading" at all. The French are pumping 7 billion Euros into their arts sector, and the Germans 54 billion Euros into theirs.

I am so sick of all the lies.
Roll Call

I've had to wear a hat for years, don't mind it ac[…]

Boris Johnson

Well de Piffle, if you want criminals, maybe, just[…]

Rishi Sunak

Yup. See also those who can't afford to eat out n[…]

Priti Patel

Lenny Henry: Virtue signalling woke nobody with fa[…]