Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 14.9 % ❤ 9.8 % :thumbsup: 3.4 % 😯 1 % :grinning: 10.7 % 🧥 0.1 % 🙏 8.6 % 😟 47.5 % :cry: 4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I was working at the DfES in Westminster at the time, we lost one person from our office.

A colleague and I had gone out to get a birthday present for another colleague and we ended up having to walk back from the Apple Store in Regent Street. Everything was locked down, no taxis or public transport, just the constant wail of sirens, wondering if there would be further atrocities, and where. It was eerie and very frightening.

There was one train out of Victoria that evening and Mrs A had to come and pick me up from Purley Oaks. But we were all in work the next day.

It's been hard during the lockdown as there have been so many sirens, and they bring it all back. But I wasn't hurt, and no-one close to me was affected, so a small inconvenience.

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:26 am
I was working at the DfES in Westminster at the time, we lost one person from our office.

A colleague and I had gone out to get a birthday present for another colleague and we ended up having to walk back from the Apple Store in Regent Street. Everything was locked down, no taxis or public transport, just the constant wail of sirens, wondering if there would be further atrocities, and where. It was eerie and very frightening.

There was one train out of Victoria that evening and Mrs A had to come and pick me up from Purley Oaks. But we were all in work the next day.

It's been hard during the lockdown as there have been so many sirens, and they bring it all back. But I wasn't hurt, and no-one close to me was affected, so a small inconvenience.
That's what I remember - the sirens. Just a constant background wail - and no mobile signal so I couldn't tell my family I was okay. I couldn't get on the Tube at the Cross when I got into town, so I walked to Euston Square. No dice there. On to Great Portland Street. The same. So, walk down to Oxford Circus and towards Broadcasting House. There were shuttle buses going between there and Television Centre so I (eventually) got on one of those. In the evening main line trains had started running and were turning at Welwyn Garden City, so my mate took me there in his Range Rover. What was eerie for me was seeing empty streets as we drove through Cricklewood that evening.

By Samanfur
I spent about five hours trying to get hold of another friend. It turned out that he was working with his headphones on, and his colleagues'd thought that it was really, really funny to not mention anything that was happening, and see how long it took him to notice.

Lovely people, I'm sure you'll agree.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
By a freakish coincidence, I was in London for the first time in about five years that day. An old mate and I were going to a weekend long party in South Wales that weekend and I'd agreed to pick him up "on the way" (I lived in Durham at the time! :D ).

So I drove down the night before and we went out on a sesh so we looked and felt our best for the long drive to Bridgend.
Friday morning I awoke on the sofa in his Southfields flat, Jon was still in bed and his partner had already left to get the tube to work.
So I made a coffee and put the TV on whilst I waited for him to surface and offer me breakfast. Very slowly the story of power failure on the underground and something about a bus started to ring alarm bells and my addled brain struggled to remember where exactly Lou (Jon's partner) worked (it was Hammersmith) and work out what her route would be.
At some point the news reached a tipping point for me and I woke Jon, "erm, this might be nothing, but I think you need to look at this".

For the next four or five hours we sat glued to the TV whilst he endlessly tried to phone Lou - all the networks were overloaded, but we didn't know that then - him fearing the worst and me trying to be the voice of optimism in the face of all the emerging evidence.

Eventually Lou walked in the door, having walked miles home from whichever tube station she'd reached at the point the network shut down, and asked how come we hadn't left for Wales yet, and weren't we going to get caught in the traffic?

By Oblomov
youngian wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:02 pm
Oblomov wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:29 am
Good day all.

Very choppy waters ahead. I have survived the culling, Oblomva is up for redundancy. If that goes ahead, she’s as good as deported. Just as well the works upstairs have stopped because we’ve enough headache to last us the next couple of months.
What a nightmare. Do you already have home office letters on your back?
My worrying may have led to melodrama yesterday.

To clarify, Oblomova has indefinite right to remain (she even thought of applying for British citizenship this year) but I’ll need to look into the finer details of if that all changes on January 1st 2021. In case of redundancy, I certainly don’t think she’ll get herself back into a similar salary or employment bracket anytime soon which would be problematic if that’s a requirement by the end of the transition period. And most lower salary brackets would leave us struggling to pay bills each month.

Do you think it’s worth me consulting an immigration lawyer?

By Malcolm Armsteen
That's slightly better news, Obbzy. Perhaps a visit to Citizen's Advice? If not, I reckon a lawyer might be a good idea. I know one, but he's a Corbynite twat. I also keep in touch with an ex-pupil now a barrister working in this area. Whether she is taking on pro-bono stuff I don't know - she used to work for an immigration charity, but now I think she's out on her own, possibly in Tuscany (the money these barristers earn...)

I had a nice afternoon. Still feeling a bit ropey*, so it was nice to have Fizz and Spike come round - with Fizz's school folder. At 5 she shows real promise with language. Spike was knackered after rehearsals, dahling. Until she spotted a football. Took some lovely informal portraits, it's a pity I can't share them with you. I promised Spike I'd put nothing on the internet to embarrass her later.

Son's company has more business than they can handle - high-class window and door replacements, conservatories etc. But Fiancée's boss is still being an arse. She could work at home, but he is insisting on staff coming in at least 3 days a week.

Latest Covid news is that has been detected, probably dormant, as long ago as March 2019. I still think I've had it, and my little bursts of feeling poorly are just symptom flashbacks. I wish I knew. There is discussion of going to France later in the year, and to do so with confidence would be good.

*Whatever it is, Mrs A has now got it as well.

By Kreuzberger
Yes to all of this.

The Italian Embassy should also be a decent resource for reliable information. That is their job, after all. Failing that, there are plenty of 3-Million resources which hang out on Twitter and use it as an initial touch point for those in need.

For what it is worth, I would be dead set on escaping that plague pit of an island while it is still possible. From personal experience, I know that living in IT ain't easy but a future trapped on Blighty looks to be increasingly untenable. Added to that, the Italian roll out of decent broadband makes that 1000€ m2 rural property both doable and viable in the long term.

Covid-19. Yes, I have been, to varying degrees, unusually torpid since late-autumn and missing the odd building block or two of both memory and understanding. It could be age, mind.
By mattomac
There are also law clinics, which aren’t a bad shout.

I finally well fingers crossed hopefully travel down to Cornwall on Thursday for 3 weeks to a month or who knows, our office has no plans to reopen til the end of August and after experiencing the idiocy in town on Saturday we agreed that it would be good to have some time away.

I’m currently detailing a paper that will give me some days at home especially in the first 3-4 months, once I got into it the working from home was quite enjoyable, helps with the mental health.

Anyhow.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:08 pm
Yes to all of this.

The Italian Embassy should also be a decent resource for reliable information. That is their job, after all. Failing that, there are plenty of 3-Million resources which hang out on Twitter and use it as an initial touch point for those in need.

For what it is worth, I would be dead set on escaping that plague pit of an island while it is still possible. From personal experience, I know that living in IT ain't easy but a future trapped on Blighty looks to be increasingly untenable. Added to that, the Italian roll out of decent broadband makes that 1000€ m2 rural property both doable and viable in the long term.

Covid-19. Yes, I have been, to varying degrees, unusually torpid since late-autumn and missing the odd building block or two of both memory and understanding. It could be age, mind.
Wot Kreuzie says..
Anybody with no kids and not independently wealthy should seriously consider what their skills will earn them abroad.
The drawbridge is getting wound up, so there's not a lot of time to move.
To stay here is akin to being the frog in the gently warming saucepan.

One of my great regrets was not taking my opportunity to becoma a Netherlander 15 or so years back.
Family situation made it tricky at the time.
Looking back it would have been the smart decision.
Hindsight eh!!
The Trump Presidency

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/12903299935[…]

Roll Call

What a lovely name. I hope she wears it in happine[…]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

And of course Matt Zerb-Cousin in joining in - […]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1290407682[…]