Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 44 % ❤ 2.2 % :thumbsup: 13.3 % 😯 4.6 % :grinning: 24.8 % 🧥 1.5 % 🙏 2.5 % 😟 0.6 % :cry: 5.9 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Considering club card vouchers exempted Cigarettes and even booze for a period I have my doubts about her made up story.

That’s the problem though, most families are barely getting by a fair few once furlough ends will realise there is no job to go back to, this idea that the poor are living the life of Reilly is bullshit.

The biggest cons of the system are the Tories and their ilk.
Catkins wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:13 am
Minister for Children weighs in.

I very much doubt that vouchers can be used for alcohol, and non-food products could be other essentials like shampoo, toothpaste etc.
This is particularly infuriating because it's all a variant of the usual "flat screen TVs" line - Tory thinking goes if you let poor people just have the money, they will inevitably make bad decisions and blow the money on non-essentials because that's why they're poor in the first place, and so it must be restricted to only "worthy" things, like basic vegetables or tins of soup (preferably labelled in some way to show they are being bought using special vouchers, so as to further increase the shame of the recipient).

As well as keeping costs down and making ot possible to funnel money to chosen retailers by enforcing what is purchased, it plays perfectly into the Tory misery narrative - that if you have no money you should have no luxuries and no relief from your poverty until such time as you can pay for them yourself with no state help. Doesn't matter if you've got plenty of food that month - you can't spend OUR money on anything else because then you might momentarily forget to be miserable about being poor, which is the only way you will learn the value of not being poor. Now get back to your unheated, single-room flat with no television and eat your cold tesco value beans and be grateful, you fucking peasant etc.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Got this a few minutes ago - struck me as a good idea to leave it here.
Hayatın hakiki servetini muhabbet; fakirliğin de benlik teşkil eder.

Talk about the true wealth of life; your poverty is also mine.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

The numbers for those three states are truly horrifying. The only thing worse is the trendline.

By Boiler
Posts LikeBB
My apologies if this has been posted before or elsewhere, but it's a good summary of where we are.
It is easy to be beguiled by nostalgia. There was no golden age of all-heavyweight cabinets. Some roles are by their nature reserved for less showy politicians, just as some jobs have been doled out as bribes to troublemaking rivals with no talent except for making mischief. But the chaff used to be leavened with intelligence and capability. The balance has shifted under Mr Johnson. Advancement under his reign has been dependent on a stupefying degree of loyalty to the personality cult of “Boris” and the doctrine of an ultra-hard Brexit. Independent thought and moderating pragmatism are mostly banished to the back benches.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -of-talent
The Tories, Generally

Everyone to blame but themselves... https://twitt[…]

Richard Littlejohn

The Mail line is to be against WFH not just becaus[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

Its almost as though they dont know what pragmat[…]

Roll Call

The sting is better (thank you all soooo much for […]