Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 14.8 % ❤ 9.8 % :thumbsup: 3.5 % 😯 1 % :grinning: 11 % 🧥 0.2 % 🙏 8.5 % 😟 47.2 % :cry: 3.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
What ho, groovers!

Cold, grey and damp here - just like me. The last few days have been hard as (quite rightly) the nieces have returned to work and left me running the Arrow Towers care home by myself. A corner turned today, as I rose late to discover that O.M.A had dressed herself and made it downstairs unaided. She's just managed to assist me in making her lunch. Silly little milestones passed on her road to recovery. I might even risk some time with my recently abandoned placcy kit - I have stolen brief moments with my guitars, realising how out of practice I've become. A long old haul ahead, but light at the end of the tunnel.

Contacted by my Welsh chum yesterday, he's spending next week in Hometown-on-Sea, and fancies a socially-distanced meet. I've explained my situation, so I've got a get-out clause - we'll see.

Well, my next U.C megabucks installment is due, I'll be back to living the dream before you know it.

Keep the faith, my lovelies. Stay sane, stay safe.
Malcolm Armsteen, Boiler, Kreuzberger and 2 others liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Morning Red, morning moovers.

Not great yesterday, and today looks the same - headache, cough, back and shoulder pains, feeling very tired. Not, of course, able to sleep properly, as I'm peeing every hour and a half. So not an utterly happy bunny.

Planning to do a bit of baking this morning (Biscoff tarts and a meat pie) ready for Spike visiting this afternoon. That;s pretty much it. I should be taking the car out for a drive, but that means getting petrol, and I can't remember if any of the local filling stations have card-operated pumps. I may leave that to tomorrow.

Had a long chat with #3 son yesterday and he is planning to get a car - really necessary for the youngest grandchild who is disabled - which means he can visit more often, Sunday lunches with #2 and the girls, etc. Good move. It also means he won't need to borrow mine for trips up an alp to their ski station, which scares the crap out of me. Looking at 4WD Volvos.

So not all cheer here at Armsteen Towers, I hope you are all doing rather better.

By The Red Arrow
'Morning, Mr A, howdy-diddly-doodly, groovers!

Grey and foggy here - just like me. A cheerful O.M.A's just preparing herself unaided again - good news, but I'm worried she's going to overdo herself into a relapse. I'm making the most of the peace and quiet before she comes downstairs to await a visit from one of the nieces - who will probably bring her kids. Joyful though their visits are, there's the constant worry of close proximity in the times in which we find ourselves. Sausages for late breakfast, methinks. Might steal some telly time before duties call.

Stay sane, stay safe, my lovelies.

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:17 am
I should be taking the car out for a drive, but that means getting petrol, and I can't remember if any of the local filling stations have card-operated pumps. I may leave that to tomorrow.

[...]

Had a long chat with #3 son yesterday and he is planning to get a car - really necessary for the youngest grandchild who is disabled - which means he can visit more often, Sunday lunches with #2 and the girls, etc. Good move. It also means he won't need to borrow mine for trips up an alp to their ski station, which scares the crap out of me. Looking at 4WD Volvos.
Mate of mine has an XC70 and loves it, unless he's looking at an XC90?

Regarding the fuel situation, my local petrol station doesn't have card operated pumps and the ones in the city seem to have withdrawn them from service; but the local station only allows one person in at a time, has hand sanitiser outside and the till has a huge perspex screen too. If you can find one like that, pop a face covering on and you'll be fine. Or if you're doing this just to keep the battery topped up:

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/mxs-5-0-uk

I've got one of these and whilst not cheap, it's the best battery charger I've ever owned. It comes with accessories that means a quick-connect terminal can be left connected to the battery permanently and so it's a matter of seconds to connect it; no faffing around with croc clips. There's even an accessory connector (optional) that has LED traffic lights to tell you the state of the battery.

By Oblomov
Greetings comrades.

An improvement to the situation, Oblomova’s former director has informed us his company are hiring and he has referred her CV to their hiring department so there may be relief there. And her current job might be saved because though they’ve sent out an email to several hundred people telling them their role is at risk of redundancy but they’re only looking to make 100 redundant at the moment, which is probably going to be made up of the airports team, a few nearing retirement, and recent hires. So it seems HR have bafflingly told people they’re at risk of losing their job but probably unlikely to, is this standard practice? It seems very poor form to induce 2 months of status anxiety in people, and rather needlessly at that.

By Boiler
Oblomov wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:02 am
So it seems HR have bafflingly told people they’re at risk of losing their job but probably unlikely to, is this standard practice? It seems very poor form to induce 2 months of status anxiety in people, and rather needlessly at that.
Yep, standard practice I'm afraid. I went through that in 1992 when my employer ran a "beauty contest" to decide who to get rid of - so if you volunteered, you might not get accepted.

After that it was all met with voluntary redundancies... until it came to my turn on 2011. That was compulsory. To be honest, it was the best thing that ever happened to me.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Good evening all. White van mailwatcher reporting for duty. Not much to report really, son out at park with ball, me just eaten a good, unhealthy tea of a cheeseburger, some chicken nuggety things and a few chips, washed down with Pepsi.

Had to tow my barrel trailer today to withington and Benchill today and been told that we can't use the drinks machine at Kwik fit anymore. Bugger
Malcolm Armsteen, spoonman, Oblomov and 2 others liked this

By cycloon
Today I received perhaps the most thoughtful example of a letter in the genre of billet-doux as I ever have. It's quite a wonderful feeling, and a tonic against the arsery and pain of the context, as is fixing things so no rules need be bent or broken.

By Malcolm Armsteen
2 new cases in our borough (1 per 100,000) and no deaths in the past week. Gives me a bit of encouragement.

Mrs A is venturing out with #1's fiancée on Saturday to look at wedding dresses. I don't really feel I can say no.

Baking went well.
The Tories, Generally

Everyone to blame but themselves... https://twitt[…]

Richard Littlejohn

The Mail line is to be against WFH not just becaus[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

Its almost as though they dont know what pragmat[…]

Roll Call

The sting is better (thank you all soooo much for […]