Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 48.1 % ❤ 3.2 % :thumbsup: 9.5 % 😯 3.4 % :grinning: 26.2 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 1 % 😟 4.7 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Theresa Villiers must be mopping her brow that she isn't being ridiculed as the stupidest person on a committee with "intelligence" in its name.

By crabcakes_windermere
davidjay wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:55 pm
Are they doing it all for a joke, do you think?
If they had intellectual capacity to spare, yes. But the simple answer is he is one of the only options they have because loyalty is essential right now - because the man in charge (and the man in charge of the man in charge) is 100% winging it on a heady mix of bullshit and ego, you have to either be stupid enough or selfish enough to not care. Or ideally, both.

By Tubby Isaacs
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ct-control
Boris Johnson plans radical shake-up of NHS in bid to regain more direct control
Exclusive: health secretary said to be frustrated by his lack of authority over NHS England boss Simon Stevens
Wait till he finds out which party structured the English NHS like this.

By Tubby Isaacs

I don't know much about this project specifically. The first section that was reopened has gone well, as both a picturesque tourist line and a commuter line into Edinburgh. But this sets off my "spaffing" alarm. Long section of new track which looks good when you're crayoning on a map but on closer inspection doesn't really go anywhere (Hawick has 14,000 people, but everywhere else is very small). Doubtless this sort of stuff sticks it to "Beeching", but often it's better to spend money increasing capacity where there's already a line. It must be shit living in Hawick and not having a car, but it's also shit to live in a city and be polluted to death by people who drive to work because the trains aren't regular or reliable enough.
By satnav
Boris was on the news today sending a sincere message to the victims of the genocide in Srebrenica. But judging by the fact that his hair was a complete mess I can only assume that he recorded the message on Tuesday before getting his haircut. So having told people to go back to work he promptly slipped off for another weekend putting his feet up at Chequers.

By spoonman
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:25 pm

I don't know much about this project specifically. The first section that was reopened has gone well, as both a picturesque tourist line and a commuter line into Edinburgh. But this sets off my "spaffing" alarm. Long section of new track which looks good when you're crayoning on a map but on closer inspection doesn't really go anywhere (Hawick has 14,000 people, but everywhere else is very small). Doubtless this sort of stuff sticks it to "Beeching", but often it's better to spend money increasing capacity where there's already a line. It must be shit living in Hawick and not having a car, but it's also shit to live in a city and be polluted to death by people who drive to work because the trains aren't regular or reliable enough.
Worth remembering that "Boris™" also backs the construction of a land bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland, which having discussed before shouldn't be needed to go all over again.

Johnson will pretty much back anything if he felt it would give him nice soundbite brownie points with one exception - he clearly doesn't back using condoms.

By Boiler
We already have the ECML and the WCML linking England to Scotland. There's a reason this line closed.
https://wrha.org.uk/the-waverley-route/

You want to reopen a useful line? Try March to Spalding. Oh, but that shut in 1982 (I rode on the last day).

Or indeed, any number of lines. I'm still uncertain about what reopening the Varsity Line will achieve.

By KevS
Exactly. Draw a line on a map from King's Lynn to Thetford to Norwich to Sheringham, and the entire massive wedge of Norfolk to the left of that line has no National Rail service.

And we're talking places like Hunstanton and the coast, Fakenham for the racecourses, not to mention Brenda's Winter chalet.
Boris Johnson

Well de Piffle, if you want criminals, maybe, just[…]

Rishi Sunak

Yup. See also those who can't afford to eat out n[…]

Priti Patel

Lenny Henry: Virtue signalling woke nobody with fa[…]

The Trump Presidency

Geologically impossible to add another one, appare[…]