Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 31.4 % :thumbsup: 8.6 % :grinning: 40 % 😟 11.4 % :cry: 5.7 % :shit: 2.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Posts LikeBB
They're right.

That's precisely the sort of mask you shouldn't wear. The non-return valve would, if the wearer coughed, not offer any resistance to expelled material so yes, it would come out with some force. Face masks for industrial use have a NRV to aid breathing: when you breathe in, you do so past the filter material; when you breathe out, air is expelled via the NRV.

N95/FFP2 masks for medical use should NOT have valves.

I was explicitly told by my GP practice not to wear masks with valves.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Whatever the science behind it is, I doubt that was what motivated the Mail to write a hit piece on him. I think "He's making our Gove look bad" was about as in depth as their research got.

I didn't know that about masks with valves, though, I must admit. I thought they were filters which could only be a good thing but looks like that may not be the case?

By Boiler
Posts LikeBB
I have a mask I wore for sanding down some woodwork and hoovering crap out lurking somewhere - it never made the bin.

I'll see if I can locate it and dissect it.

In the meantime, a good explainer here.
https://fastlifehacks.com/n95-vs-ffp/

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Boiler wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 pm
Two problems there: one, the beard is an absolute no-no as it prevents an effective seal and two, there's an NRV on it.
They "went out of fashion" during WW1 when shown to impair the function of the troops gasmasks.
The Tories, Generally

Everyone to blame but themselves... https://twitt[…]

Richard Littlejohn

The Mail line is to be against WFH not just becaus[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

Its almost as though they dont know what pragmat[…]

Roll Call

The sting is better (thank you all soooo much for […]