Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 14.9 % ❤ 9.8 % :thumbsup: 3.4 % 😯 1 % :grinning: 10.7 % 🧥 0.1 % 🙏 8.6 % 😟 47.5 % :cry: 4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It always is, old chum. Not much I can say without running the risk of coming over as trite and patronising, but if you've realised that you've dodged a bullet, you're halfway there. No consolation, perhaps, but most of us have been there. Chin up, soldier - you never know what will find you when you're not looking for it.
Last edited by The Red Arrow on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Against my 'advice' (I'm thinking of Tony's chickens) Mrs A put some out of date chicken down for the fox cubs. They ate it within minutes. Later this fox came along, and was clearly disappointed that there was none left.
DSCF0218.jpeg
DSCF0218.jpeg (578.71 KiB) Viewed 377 times

By Oblomov
So the company doing Oblomova's redundancy are now adding an extra 40 positions onto the 100 they were already axing, I don't entirely understand the ins and outs of it but the several hundred people at risk have been allocated into several pools where senior management will decide who to keep from them. Fortunately Oblomova has quite a few university students on placement that will be the easiest ones to scrap, meaning that she ought to be safe. Relief.

Or it should be. I caught myself thanking Providence that some other poor sod is being consigned to the bread line, and I'm disgusted at myself. Particularly as they are young, vulnerable students just trying to get a foot on the ladder and now they face the bleakest of job markets, and even with university to return to in September they will be shafted by getting themselves into crippling debt paying extortionate fees for online classes just so they can try and make some headway in this utterly broken economic edifice.

I'm going to go take a long, hard look in the mirror and I doubt I'll be impressed by what I see.

By Abernathy
Had my first post-lockdown haircut today. I'm having a set of cushions stuffed with the cuttings.

My hairdresser has done a grand job with all the safety measures - perspex screen on the front desk, hand sanitizer to be used as soon as you go in, sign-in book with contact details, full wipe-down and clean of the washbasins after every use, sanitising of the chairs after each use, sanitising of all scissors and clippers practically every 5 minutes, all the stylists wearing full face visors. Felt reassured and quite safe. And boy, it feels good to be shorn !

Liz, the business owner, has only put her prices up by 3 quid to cover the cost of all the safety equipment - disposable single use covers, and so on.

So, thus far, so good with the transition to the "new normal". Still very wary of restaurants, though, and pubs are still right out. But none too shabby.

By Kreuzberger
Oblomov wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:50 pm
I'm going to go take a long, hard look in the mirror and I doubt I'll be impressed by what I see.
Mate, global pandemic or not, when redundancies are in the air, there is never going to be a positive outcome for everyone. Expressing relief is not a crime.

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:24 pm
Oblomov wrote:
Mate, global pandemic or not, when redundancies are in the air, there is never going to be a positive outcome for everyone. Expressing relief is not a crime.
I couldn't agree more. The first time I dodged redundancy (back in 1992) I celebrated by buying a shiny BMW 5-series in Dolphin Grey metallic. I celebrated in a different way when I was compulsorily made redundant in 2012: I merely sat back and thought how lucky I was that I was free of ever-increasing corporate bullshit and shitty scheduling now I was twenty years older.

By MisterMuncher
I have pretty much been told that push coming to shove, I'll be pretty much the last one on the list. It's not nice to think of the other folks, and I do feel some measure of guilt, but hopefully it'll never happen. The caution expressed herein about restaurants is not universal. An awful lot of people not too bothered at all...

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Oblomov wrote:
So the company doing Oblomova's redundancy are now adding an extra 40 positions onto the 100 they were already axing, I don't entirely understand the ins and outs of it but the several hundred people at risk have been allocated into several pools where senior management will decide who to keep from them. Fortunately Oblomova has quite a few university students on placement that will be the easiest ones to scrap, meaning that she ought to be safe. Relief.

Or it should be. I caught myself thanking Providence that some other poor sod is being consigned to the bread line, and I'm disgusted at myself. Particularly as they are young, vulnerable students just trying to get a foot on the ladder and now they face the bleakest of job markets, and even with university to return to in September they will be shafted by getting themselves into crippling debt paying extortionate fees for online classes just so they can try and make some headway in this utterly broken economic edifice.

That's how they play us.
And we don't have a choice but to engage, or be sanctioned.

By Samanfur
I've been given my return-to-work date and rota for the end of this month.

In the absence of a cycle path or safe road, I have no way to get there except public transport, via Blackburn.

My anxiety level is going through the roof.
The Trump Presidency

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/12903299935[…]

Roll Call

What a lovely name. I hope she wears it in happine[…]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

And of course Matt Zerb-Cousin in joining in - […]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1290407682[…]