•  
  •  

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:50 am
Boiler wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:05 am
Have there ever been any cases of an anti-vaxer's child dying from the disease that a particular vaccination would have prevented?
I can't think of a specific example - but most high profile anti-vaxers are celebs "speaking their branes" - with excellent access to money-no-object treatment.

One lad in my primary school class died of complications from what started as a cold.
His parents were members of a Christian sect/cult which didn't believe in medical treatment.
There was a bit of a fuss when it transpired that he'd never visited a doctor, and their brethren were attempting a cure through the power of prayer.
9 years old, wonderful piano player.
IIRC, James Hetfield of Metallica fame, was raised in a Christian Scientist home, and his ma died refusing cancer treatment because of her faith. It happens surprisingly frequently, The J-Dubs policy on blood transfusions has claimed quite a few, too.
By randomelement
Membership Days Membership Days
This is one of those things, I'm not sure if I'm being too cynical, but there is Spitfire flying around South-East England over flying hospitals. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/n ... d-22452361 the Spitfire has Thank U NHS painted on the underside of the wings.
Now it being flown by a private company, but using a spitfire to do this seems like jingo-wank and again harking back to a time when we single-handedly* took on the Nazis and won through a combination of pluck, and stiff upperlips.

Or shouldn't I be so cynical and it is a celebration of two great British achievements getting the country through adversity?

*yes yes I know.
By randomelement
I have had a search for the aircraft and found it had been involved in a fatal crash:
https://vintageaviationecho.com/spitfire-prxi-pl983/ wrote: During the climactic formation flypast, the Spitfire PR.XI suffered onset engine issues and peeled away from the formation, turning back towards Rouen to make a precautionary landing on the designated grass emergency strip. That, Sargeant found, was occupied by spectators, necessitating a protracted circuit to land on the main hard runway. During this extended base leg, the Spitfire coughed a thick plume of black smoke and its propeller slowed rapidly; the aeroplane almost immediately dropped into a stall and impacted the ground vertically. The crash claimed Martin Sargeant’s life. He was 56 years old.
But the company currently owning the aircraft omits that detail, which as Spitfire are meant to be linked to bravery is rather sad.
https://www.aircraftrestorationcompany.com/spitfire-pl983 wrote: Operated by Martin Sargeant, it was overhauled and re-flown, but sadly met with an accident at Rouen in France during June 2001. Following the conclusion of the accident investigation board, the severely damaged Spitfire was purchased by the Aircraft Restoration Company and moved to Duxford in 2003.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
I think you're reading too much into this. Remove your Mailwatch heads and replace with ordinary member of the public heads.

I think a Spitfire was the right choice. The NHS is very much a British thing and, until the Tories got going, the envy of the world. The Spitfire is a British icon. It looks right and it sounds right. People of all ages and walks of life stop and stare when one flies past. Why not use one British icon to celebrate another? And they tapped into the zeitgeist. We've just had the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe. A WW2 veteran has raised more money for the NHS than the Tory government have allowed the NHS in the budget. And Vera Lynn has just died. It all fits without any need for jingowanking. Besides, people just like Spitfires.

While typing this it occurred to me that there wasn't any jingowanking for the 80th anniversary of that genuinely British victory - the evacuation of Dunkirk. Has the penny finally dropped? Have people realised the army only had to evacuate because they'd been beaten?
By randomelement
Cyclist wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:54 pm
I think you're reading too much into this. Remove your Mailwatch heads and replace with ordinary member of the public heads.

I think a Spitfire was the right choice. The NHS is very much a British thing and, until the Tories got going, the envy of the world. The Spitfire is a British icon. It looks right and it sounds right. People of all ages and walks of life stop and stare when one flies past. Why not use one British icon to celebrate another? And they tapped into the zeitgeist. We've just had the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe. A WW2 veteran has raised more money for the NHS than the Tory government have allowed the NHS in the budget. And Vera Lynn has just died. It all fits without any need for jingowanking. Besides, people just like Spitfires.

While typing this it occurred to me that there wasn't any jingowanking for the 80th anniversary of that genuinely British victory - the evacuation of Dunkirk. Has the penny finally dropped? Have people realised the army only had to evacuate because they'd been beaten?
Thanks, it is easy to be too cynical.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
In my previous life in an insurance office, we used to have to change our user names on the computer at frequent intervals. One time I was in a rush to get logged in again when I was asked for a new user name. The first one which came into my head was Herrmann Goering, so I was the Reichsmarshall for a month.
Cyclist liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
mr angry manchester wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:50 pm
In my previous life in an insurance office, we used to have to change our user names on the computer at frequent intervals. One time I was in a rush to get logged in again when I was asked for a new user name. The first one which came into my head was Herrmann Goering, so I was the Reichsmarshall for a month.
Did you get extra luncheon vouchers?

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Cyclist wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:54 pm

I suspect the COVID-19 lockdown might have played a part in the absence of jingowanking in May as the planned commemorations were cancelled.
https://www.adls.org.uk/dunkirk-2020-80th-anniversary
The Tories, Generally

To be fair, the old police boards (replaced by pol[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Germany. Cheese revenue per capita: 128 U$D p/a. J[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Always surrounded by young women, too. Mrs A reck[…]

Richard Littlejohn

Of course, they have their Clients' interests at h[…]