For other types of media
:sunglasses: 44.8 % ❤ 3.4 % :thumbsup: 10.3 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 36.2 % 🧥 1.7 % 😟 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
How to cast radio ads;

Northern woman: so easy even one of them can do this.
Northern male: takes no shit so you're in safe hands with this breathtakingly simple concept.
Scot, preferably older: just feel that trust washing over your every pore, laddie
Black: our munificence knows no bounds, innit. Do you want to buy a van?
White, posh bloke: Teeth, lockdowns, and Fathers for Justice.

Remember, radio advertising accounts for 2% of the money and ultimately warrants 2% of the talent and attention. Remember too that this is the white, public school boys being given the briefs which are signed off by their creative directors, and, at the end of the day, the client.

I hold nothing against Sophia Brown for reeling in the repeat fees, despite having a voice so thin that EQ-ing it to the max, can't mask the fact that she is audio gazpacho.

I had hope that we would have evolved to a point beyond this.
Abernathy liked this
The Red Arrow wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:23 pm
Yeer, Kreuzie! 'Ow duz wes'cundry enner indo th'ekwayzun? Askin' vor a vrend. :wink:
I believe the term is "slack jawed yokel", through there's a profitable sideline in pirate crew.
Scouser is only used locally to Liverpool, or ironically*.

Brummie is only ever used ironically.

*It's a bit like the old joke about there being no deep south brain surgeons. Certain accents just don't impart trustworthiness (save the avuncular Ringo Starr/Michael Angelis posh scouse burr). In my time in IT support I worked with a guy who had the thickest scouse accent ever, and every time he was on the phone advising people about cyber security, he sounded like he was giving them advice on how to steal a car.
I think that accents get categorised as "thick and harmless" - Brummie, West Country, Lancashire etc or "thick and aggressive" - Yorkshire, Northern Irish, Scouse, Glasgow scots
mr angry manchester wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 pm
I think that accents get categorised as "thick and harmless" - Brummie, West Country, Lancashire etc or "thick and aggressive" - Yorkshire, Northern Irish, Scouse, Glasgow scots
For years on The Bill the only time Scottish characters appeared were as crooks. In fact the only Scottish police character I can think of is DC Lennox played by George Rossi who went onto the excellent Whitechapel series, although I may have forgotten others. There were a couple of Yorkshiremen including DCI Meadows who was in it for yonks, and at least 3 Scousers. For years in most dramas male Northern Irish characters always had some form of paramilitary background or connection. Not that they were stereotyped or anything....
AOB wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:56 pm
In fact the only Scottish police character I can think of is DC Lennox played by George Rossi who went onto the excellent Whitechapel series, although I may have forgotten others.

You've forgotten an entire series ! What about Jim "There's been a murrrrdurrr" Taggart ?
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:54 pm
Apparently Geordie is the most trustworthy accent, which I assume is the softer Geordie accent, rather than the over the top wacky comedy one.
Like this guy, you mean ?
Attachments
siking.jpg
siking.jpg (140.87 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Abernathy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:50 pm
AOB wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:56 pm
In fact the only Scottish police character I can think of is DC Lennox played by George Rossi who went onto the excellent Whitechapel series, although I may have forgotten others.

You've forgotten an entire series ! What about Jim "There's been a murrrrdurrr" Taggart ?
Sorry, I didn't word it clearly. I meant the only Scottish character in The Bill. Taggart was fantastic. One of my favourite series.
Reminds me back in the late 90's of a proposal of setting up a Belfast call centre by the then Inland Revenue - the idea of someone with a thick Bellshaft accent telling me to pay up would certainly not have made me hesitate.
Jim McDonald always immediately springs to mind. Either him or a crazy PE teacher called Paddy McCafferty we had at secondary school in the 4th year, about 1974/5.

One time, me and a few other lads were playing football at break and accidentally put the ball through a window, McCaff comes out, in full on Ian Paisley mode, "get on the floor, YOU PIGS!!!" then proceeds to belt us all in turn with a gym shoe. Charming fellow :lol:
Labour, Generally.

Given they class losing a GE as winning an argumen[…]

Roll Call

The one thing we have a growth industry in; cunter[…]

The Tories, Generally

Ahem. A pedant (for whom this has long been an int[…]

Meanwhile in France

Another leader whose poll ratings aren’t fal[…]