Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 59.8 % ❤ 1.7 % :thumbsup: 5.7 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 22.7 % 🧥 1 % 🙏 2.9 % 😟 1.2 % :cry: 2.4 % :shit: 1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:45 am
I think the ideal scenario is that something comes out in the reports that makes his continued membership untenable so he has to resign and the matter is taken out of Starmer's hands.
Nah, he'll just say the EHRC is controlled by Jews.
If you wanted to make a case for someone who actually virtue signals in the way the right wing use it as an insult, Corbyn would fit the bill perfectly. No context on what he did, or whether it was even a success. Just "Hey, I was there. Give me credit."

Also, if this were Jess Phillips his fans would be screaming about the "self promotion" and making it "all about her".
Oblomov, oboogie, Timbo liked this
By visage
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 am
If you wanted to make a case for someone who actually virtue signals in the way the right wing use it as an insult, Corbyn would fit the bill perfectly. No context on what he did, or whether it was even a success. Just "Hey, I was there. Give me credit."

Also, if this were Jess Phillips his fans would be screaming about the "self promotion" and making it "all about her".
I think Jeremy is a bit lost now he cant put out a video of him with his fucking bell every Thursday.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
John Ware is sueing Jewish Voice for Labour and two of its officers. One of them described him in a radio discussion as having a "terrible record of Islamophobia, far-right politics". I'm not a libel lawyer but that sounds a bit strong.

By the by, did we ever hear anything more about this?

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/05/20/excl-d ... -to-press/
SKWAWKBOX can reveal that some of those staffers destroyed tens of thousands of documents relating to complaints – making it impossible for the party to pursue them – and have now been revealed by the ‘leak’ of the so-called dossier to have taken copies with them.
Wouldn't this be a bit stupid? Would give Team Jez the easiest out ever.

By Tubby Isaacs
SKWAWKBOX view:

The media have attempted to portray their ex-Labour sources as ‘whistleblowers’. Whistleblowers do not deliberately create the problem about which they claim to be blowing the whistle.

In this, as in so many instances, the right has created a problem – and then dishonestly exploited the problem to criticise the party.

To do so is not only inexcusable – but probably also criminal.
That well-known criminal offence of creating problems and exploiting them. I bet Wormwood Scrubs is full of such villains.
Timbo, oboogie liked this
Corbyn apparently exposed comedians as establishment shills.

https://www.redpepper.org.uk/how-corbyn ... medy/?s=09
For better or worse, the election of Sir Keir Starmer QC as Labour leader has been seen in some quarters as a return to political ‘normality’, which will likely provide comfort to Britain’s satirists. This might sound strange, given that their role is supposedly to mock the powerful. But in truth, they never truly worked out how to deal with Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership or the type of politics it represented, mainly due to their inability to see how they had been co-opted into the British establishment.

During the 1990s and especially in the New Labour years, standup comedy became a lucrative industry. Its entry level remained a circuit of small pubs and clubs but its peak became a variety of ready formatted BBC panel shows such as Have I Got News for You and Mock the Week, and then Live at the Apollo, which offered fame, fortune and an audience of millions. Some panel shows put comedians alongside journalists and past or present MPs, and allowed them to directly air their political opinions in an unprecedented way, even if not all proved willing to make their allegiances as clear as leftwing comics such as Alexei Sayle or Ben Elton had in the 1980s.

In part, this was because Tony Blair was open about seeing New Labour as a softer continuation of Thatcherism – something Thatcher called ‘her greatest achievement’. This allowed comedians to position themselves to the left of mainstream politics without having to do much more than bemoan that ‘they’re all the same’, and to present themselves as being more principled than ‘career politicians’ without having to clarify their own let alone live by them. The new money also made it far easier to ‘sell out’ – and the new comedy industry’s gatekeepers tended to reward those who didn’t lean towards oppositional politics to start with.
I think this says a lot more Corbyn than comedians.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Ben Elton hasn’t changed much. He’s never claimed to be anything but a left leaning moderate and has always preferred Eric and Ern and Dad’s Army to edgy ‘alternative comedy.’ His most radical stance is refusing to do advert voice-overs unlike Alexei Sayle.

The lesson from the article is if you don’t like the Labour leader being mocked by comedians then don’t elect a joke as a leader. Corbyn generated his own comedy.

By KevS
Exactly. See also Danny Baker's story of joining the Sex Pistols on tour when he was an NME writer, and finding out that Johnny Rotten was a huge fan of Will Hay films.

By Tubby Isaacs
I caught a couple of comedy panel games when Ed Miliband was leader. He got stick but in a different way to the government. The government were nasty bastards, Ed was a bit of a twat.

I didn't particularly like this at the time, because I thought these two things weren't equal. Then again, hasn't it always been a bit like this? I recall a sketch from Weekending in 1990, about a protestor who loved hopeless causes. Now that Mandela had been released, he was shouting "Kinnock for PM!". And a Spitting Image when John Smith was leader, where he was on the Crystal Maze and kept fucking up.

I don't know the jokes v Labour got more biting under Corbyn, maybe.
KevS wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:11 am
Exactly. See also Danny Baker's story of joining the Sex Pistols on tour when he was an NME writer, and finding out that Johnny Rotten was a huge fan of Will Hay films.
Glen Matlock was also an Abba fan. Mind you I like both Abba and The Pistols :D
The Tories, Generally

Only one letter away from Rees-Mogg turning a blin[…]

Labour, Generally.

Given they class losing a GE as winning an argumen[…]

Roll Call

The one thing we have a growth industry in; cunter[…]

Meanwhile in France

Another leader whose poll ratings aren’t fal[…]