Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.1 % ❤ 3.4 % :thumbsup: 9.7 % 😯 3.3 % :grinning: 25 % 🧥 1.2 % 🙏 0.9 % 😟 4.2 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 pm

If someone asks the question 'Is the virus perceived differently in some cultural groups?' the answer isn't 'fuck off you racist bastard' it's 'Don't know. We could check that.'
Yes, this thread has moved on but, for once, I didn't want to shoot from the hip.

I am seeing this from my two-states, one problem perspective and am firmly coming to the conclusion that toxic, swaggering masculinity is pretty damned close to the heart of the problem.

Whether Muslim, culturally Turkish, wugga buggas, or thoroughbred gammon, it makes no difference. Young, irresponsible, princeling males are posing a real threat, on a macro level, to the healthcare infrastructures and, locally, also within their own families.

I have alluded on here to it in the past month of two. Now I am prepared to stick my neck out a little further because I am living in fear of groups of often Turkish-heritage males, congregating on every second corner, scratching their bollocks, and swooning at girls' arses. It is not too difficult to imagine them swaggering under a cloud of eager, viral spores.

The message needs, in my view, to be targeted at mothers and separately the fathers who can look up and down the generations and deal with the kids in their own way and in their own vernacular.

The central message has to be, and this will ruffle a few feathers, akin to the early AIDS messaging, "Don't kill granny with ignorance."
Cyclist, Boiler, oboogie and 2 others liked this

By Kreuzberger
The take out from my post, and that with which others may disagree or otherwise, is concentrations of toxic masculinity.

Race has nothing to do with it. Populations densities, possibly so, but this only excludes people who live in castles.

By Tubby Isaacs
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 pm
The take out from my post, and that with which others may disagree or otherwise, is concentrations of toxic masculinity.

Race has nothing to do with it. Populations densities, possibly so, but this only excludes people who live in castles.
I wouldn't be surprised if "the lads" were spreading it, but that's not really who Whitaker has in mind, is it? He means South Asians. My impression from living in Tower Hamlets for 15 years is that "the lads" isn't particularly a thing. There is, I presume, quite strong parental control even of older teenagers.

Before I moved there, it was at the back of my mind that it might be a bit lively. Not that I was expecting to be shot at or anything, but I thought there'd probably be quite a few groups of kids about making a noise (after all, families live in crowded flats). There wasn't much of that at all. In my paranoid way, I thought "Ah but, when they're all out of school in the summer...." The holiday was no different at all. The exception was a period of about 2 weeks before Bonfire Night, when everybody seemed to let off fire works.

By Boiler
KevS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:08 am
I must admit, I'd noticed that happening a fair few times recently, but am I right in saying they're now owned by Trinity Mirror?
Yes. Along with the Express.

By Boiler
The puppet looks more like his father IMO. I prefer Steve Bell's portrayal of him.

Boris Johnson: Spitting Image puppet unveiled ahead of relaunch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53662230

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Zuriblue wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:07 am
I'm not looking forward to this. It could be worth watching if it portrays the dark, nasty, soulless narcissist lying beneath Johnson's thin skin. But I suspect it will be another portrayal of good ol' Boris the bumbling clown and his jolly japes that will reinforce his appeal. Spitting Image wasn't that good most of the material was more like the News Huddlines than That was the week that was.
Last edited by youngian on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boiler liked this
US election 2020

Along with Puerto Rico.

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

It's almost as though the EU employ people to do t[…]

Labour, Generally.

Has Rayner been crossed off the Cult's Winterval C[…]

Boris Johnson

Behind the capo. Make of that what you will. […]