Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 44.5 % ❤ 2.4 % :thumbsup: 13.1 % 😯 4.7 % :grinning: 24.3 % 🧥 1.5 % 🙏 2.4 % 😟 0.6 % :cry: 5.9 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:45 am
When ordinary people who don't much care for politics have their lives made substantially more shit in ways that they probably haven't seen in living memory, that's when it'll turn.
Yes, I broadly agree with that. I'm always looking around for parallels or examples that demonstrate the worth of the hypothesis, however, and in this instance I think it's 1992-97. I've carped on before about the way things panned out over that 5 year period, with (in broad brush terms) the Major government simply losing all credibility and having reached the end of the electorate's patience long before 1st May 97, while Blair was carefully positioning (New) Labour as the ready-to-govern alternative and building public support.

Even then, mind, I'm still concerned that we need a way of reinforcing that feeling in those ordinary people that don't much care for politics.

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 am
Sex sleaze.
You can't get much worse than a pork haystack that behaves like the stereotypical swaggering cock on a sink estate the Mail loved to hate so much in times past, but here we go - they made him Prime Minister and they love him for it.

Sadly, I doubt even having a rapist in their midst will kill them now. If found guilty, he might get sentenced, it'll be "look over there, ignore the victim" and it'll all be next week's chip wrappers, as we used to say.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
the Major government simply losing all credibility and having reached the end of the electorate's patience long before 1st May 97, while Blair was carefully positioning (New) Labour as the ready-to-govern alternative and building public support.
Putting up interest rates is a sure fire way to rile Tory voters and it happened early on in the Major government. Then voters become less forgiving about all your other faults especially when the opposition looks credible. But Keir unlike Blair has no predecessor to have laid the ground work. Labour needs time to push this piano back up the stairs.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Boiler wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:12 am
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 am
Sex sleaze.
You can't get much worse than a pork haystack that behaves like the stereotypical swaggering cock on a sink estate the Mail loved to hate so much in times past, but here we go - they made him Prime Minister and they love him for it.

Sadly, I doubt even having a rapist in their midst will kill them now. If found guilty, he might get sentenced, it'll be "look over there, ignore the victim" and it'll all be next week's chip wrappers, as we used to say.
That's down to the opposition to probe, question and publicise, like we did 1992-1997.

By crabcakes_windermere
Cummings will do for them. Johnson is just lazy and feckless. People loathe him, but he doesn't poke his enemies. Cummings is outright sociopathic and revels in "beating" people and demonstrating his superiority, and now there's no one who dares challenge him in the Tory party so his actions are getting ever more ludicrous.

It won't be sleaze like with Major, it'll be something like such absolute contempt for ordinary people that it really won't go away. E.g. I expect a second lockdown will be needed, and if there is one he'll break it again - probably deliberately in some capacity, because he thinks he's so fantastically clever and loves "owning the libs" and all that. And/or he'll piss off the wrong person when he decides their job or carefully crafted domain isn't needed, and some serious dirt will come out.

He's an absolute liability for them because Johnson made him untouchable to avoid having to do...well, anything, but he's not as remotely clever as he thinks he is - just another conscience-free showoff who was in the right place at the right time. There are millions of Cummingses out there - just look at the Twitter feed of any woman who puts forth an opinion. That's all he is - a reply guy with no morals.
oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Over 50 percent of the public believe another Corona spike will be down to feckless individuals not a failure of leadership. A difficult perception to turn around by the opposition ‘just moaning all the time.’ We like to believe Johnson and Cummings will get their comeuppance and our sins find us out but they’re fairy tales to keep kids in line. There needs to be an economic tipping point before Tory voters give a shit about probity in public office.
Last edited by youngian on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By crabcakes_windermere
youngian wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:45 am
Over 50 percent of the public believe another Corona spike will be down to feckless individuals not a failure of leadership. A difficult perception to turn around by the opposition ‘just moaning all the time.’ We like to believe Johnson and Cummings will get their comeuppance and our sins find us out but they’re fairy tales to keep kids in line. They’re needs to be an economic tipping point before Tory voters give a shit about probity in public office.
I suspect he'll be responsible for this, as well. In fact, the scenario is already coming about - Cummings doesn't care if old people live or die, they happily shipped old people off to care homes as a safety valve for the NHS, and they will soon need to save a tremendous amount of money to disguise the brexit black hole. I think they're going to go after pensions, and he'll tell them they can ride it out.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
they happily shipped old people off to care homes as a safety valve for the NHS
In fairness, everybody hit hard did this. 3 of the better US governors are Cuomo, Murphy and Baker (NY, NJ, and Mass) and they all did. If you weren't hit hard and fast, it wasn't to hard to avoid this mistake- Florida has a Trumper governor but he had time and could avoid this mistake. (He's not looking so good now, of course, though even with the current mess, it's nothing like what the NE states had in April.

By Bones McCoy
Boiler wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:08 pm
Quite. The "Nightingale Hospitals" are what should have been used but there was no-one to staff these show-ponies. Just another PR gesture.
Not to mention some technical issues that are presently being NDA'd out of history.
Boris Johnson

No comment needed... https://twitter.com/DavidGau[…]

Meanwhile in America

Sad news. Didn't the Repubs prevent Obama appoi[…]

Michael Gove

https://twitter.com/room808/status/130687105930039[…]

The Tories, Generally

I'm reminded of a passage in one of the Flashman b[…]