Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.1 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 9.7 % 😯 3.3 % :grinning: 25.1 % 🧥 1.2 % 🙏 0.9 % 😟 4.2 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
True, but for some people who watch it as it's taking the piss, it'll probably be the first time they find out about some of the shit going on. Plus Cummings - who lets not forget paid to have a 'cool' photoshoot of himself done - will *hate* being caricatured in an unflattering light.

Also, stuff like this seeps into the national consciousness and starts to define people - e.g. Major as a grey man who just likes peas.
oboogie liked this

By Andy McDandy
All too often Spitting Image lacked much bite. A lot of skits ended up either stating the obvious, or descending into one puppet laying into the other, Punch and Judy style.
youngian liked this

By Boiler
Well, as a proud owner of a TV that's resolutely analogue with SCART sockets that don't even meet the SCART standard and a Humax STB best described as "cranky" with its iPlayer implementation, I'll not be forking out for a sub just to watch this. I don't have anything that'd deal with it anyway, unless that RPi-based media player I plan to build could do it...

By davidjay
Whenever politicians have been lampooned/satirised in the past they've laughed along with the joke, albeit uncomfortably, because they know that being seen as a 'jolly good sport' is important. I can't remember anyone's popularity or career being harmed in this way.

Johnson is different. He will lap up the attention, the caricature, the joking about because it's all part of the lovable BoJo the Ledge image. Far from ruining him, this will make him even more popular.
youngian liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
davidjay wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:39 am
Johnson is different. He will lap up the attention, the caricature, the joking about because it's all part of the lovable BoJo the Ledge image. Far from ruining him, this will make him even more popular.
I'm not so sure. The one thing the writers were good at was nailing the characteristic(s) that were particularly unflattering or that got to the heart of the real person (e.g. Tebbit as an SS officer). If Johnson is caricatured as a bumbling posh boy then yes, he'll lap it up. If it caricatures him as a cowardly liar terrified of scrutiny, maybe not.

For example, if his puppet repeatedly runs off to hide in a fridge while shouting "I'm not in here! Honest!" and that's accompanied by chicken noises, or his puppet is literally a puppet controlled by Cummings, that could very easily stick.

"Boris Johnson" is a very carefully constructed character that Alexander Johnson has played for years. If "Boris Johnson" becomes synonymous with cowardice, being someone else's slave and bullshit, Alexander Johnson doesn't have much else left because he has always been a one-trick pony.
Kreuzberger, Samanfur, Oblomov and 3 others liked this

By The Red Arrow
I can see Johnson inhabiting the 'everything he touches turns to shit' role that they found for Maxwell.

And I note that the pearl-clutching and Beeb-blaming has begun in earnest -

Thursday, 6 August 2020
Darren Grimes - You’re A Wanker

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... anker.html

It's also being overlooked that Kinnock, Hattersley and Co were lampooned by the original Spitting Image. Don't think Starmer's going to be portrayed as a dynamic messiah, groovers - I'd lay 50p on him being the Grey Man MkII, playing second fiddle to his predecessor.
oboogie liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
The Red Arrow wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:45 pm
It's also being overlooked that Kinnock, Hattersley and Co were lampooned by the original Spitting Image. Don't think Starmer's going to be portrayed as a dynamic messiah, groovers - I'd lay 50p on him being the Grey Man MkII, playing second fiddle to his predecessor.
Starmer will be done up like a lawyer in black gown & wig, surely? Or as a spoof of some deadly serious detective show.

Also: this will be found hilarious by Corbyn fans right up to the point a caricature of him appears, then it'll be a national disgrace for picking on a much-loved and not at all bigot-enabling kindly and not remotely petulant old man.
Meanwhile in America

Sad news. Didn't the Repubs prevent Obama appoi[…]

Michael Gove

https://twitter.com/room808/status/130687105930039[…]

The Tories, Generally

I'm reminded of a passage in one of the Flashman b[…]

Twat of the Day

I'm not sure if this should be here, but it's as g[…]