Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 44.5 % ❤ 2.4 % :thumbsup: 13.1 % 😯 4.7 % :grinning: 24.3 % 🧥 1.5 % 🙏 2.4 % 😟 0.6 % :cry: 5.9 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:41 pm
Boiler wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:08 pm
Quite. The "Nightingale Hospitals" are what should have been used but there was no-one to staff these show-ponies. Just another PR gesture.
Not to mention some technical issues that are presently being NDA'd out of history.
I wonder if the non-use of the Nightingale hospitals was to enable Cummings to plug the line that it was all all a big fuss about nothing in the first place and we should just get on with our lives when the second wave comes.

By Boiler
davidjay wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 pm
I wonder if the non-use of the Nightingale hospitals was to enable Cummings to plug the line that it was all all a big fuss about nothing in the first place and we should just get on with our deaths when the second wave comes.
FTFY.

By davidjay
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:45 am
Oblomov wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:24 am
The other week I tried to put down some thoughts on how anybody could justify voting Tory outside of naked and borderline-sociopathic self-interest, as any previous guff they came out with about morality & decency, economic competence, national security etc. had been utterly compromised over the last 10 years. This has articulated perfectly what I was trying to get it, thank you comrade.
I think this govt. has uniquely landed at a point where most people are alright enough that they just don't care, and when people don't care they vote conservative - especially when they're coming off a Labour party that only ever seemed to care about things they couldn't fathom. They've got where they are on a tide of selfishness and of people convinced they'd be even better off if it wasn't for "others". Problem is, like in Trump's America, the road is running out. There aren't many "others" left to blame, and you can't cover rank incompetence and corruption at handling issues you can't effectively blame on Mexican cleaners or Polish builders, in our case.

Brexit is locked in now, and I'm at the stage where I hope it's the biggest shitshow possible. I know all those responsible will fuck off immediately, but whoever inherits the Tory crown when Johnson has served his purpose will inherit "you did this!" as well. Corbyn fans may lament Starmer pulling him excruciatingly slowly away from outright endorsing brexit, but when it all goes to shit that not being tarred with the same brush will pay dividends.

Covid aside, people's lives now are broadly what they were a few years ago. Next year, they won't be. Everything will cost more, and there'll be less of it. Paperwork will be everywhere. Just to take 1 tiny aspect, Summer 2021 might be covid-free, but there'll be huge queues at borders for Brits only, roaming charges, reams of paperwork and extra charges for rental cars, whopping holiday insurance from no EHIC and so on. When ordinary people who don't much care for politics have their lives made substantially more shit in ways that they probably haven't seen in living memory, that's when it'll turn.
And they still won't care, because it would have been worse with Corbyn. I hate to say it but I honestly don't believe there's a single thing that will make the typical red wall new-Tory voter realise they've been lied to and used all they way down the line. Boris is their man. They know they're right. Therefore whatever Boris does is right. QED.
Boiler, oboogie liked this
Internally, yes - but it only takes one court case or criminal prosecution to make everything start to unravel, and unlike Trump's administration there's no presidential pardon option in the UK. If someone is caught, mitigation from cooperation with the police is their only way of potentially reducing their sentence.
youngian, oboogie liked this

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Does DWP stand for 'Department for Worthless People', as that's how they seem to view benefits claimants?

A woman who had a quadruple amputation has said "it makes no sense" she will have to wait three months before being paid disability allowance.

Caroline Coster, 58, caught coronavirus in March but had her hands and feet amputated after getting sepsis.

She questioned whether the wait to get her Personal Independence Payment (PIP) was "just in case they grow back"...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-53551673

A government spokesman said PIP claims could be made as soon as someone's "needs arise or change".

No, dickhead. It's not about how quickly a claim can be made. It's about the speed, or lack of it, at which the claims are processed and money paid out :roll:

By Bones McCoy
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:51 am
Internally, yes - but it only takes one court case or criminal prosecution to make everything start to unravel, and unlike Trump's administration there's no presidential pardon option in the UK. If someone is caught, mitigation from cooperation with the police is their only way of potentially reducing their sentence.
I'd be amazed if the current voters are concerned by corruption or criminality.
I would expect the wind to change a little when Rishi reels in his furlough support and "people like us" start losing their jobs.
Boiler liked this

By davidjay
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:26 pm
It’ll be cumulative. Corrupt deals alone, maybe not. Their mates getting a huge wedge for nothing while Sunak tells you no more money so crack on with applying for till work in Asda will start to rile people.
But like unemployment in the eighties it still won't affect that many people. There night be three million unemployed, with maybe another six or seven million affected, but there's still five times that many who will be unaffected, so for them the government is absolutely wonderful and it's the workshy claimants who are the problem.

By Boiler
Well, that little shit would say that, wouldn't he?

Robert Jenrick says concerns over planning overhaul are 'nonsense'

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ng-england

also https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... tastrophic

I can think of a couple of wisely-rejected planning applications in the village I was raised in now rearing their ugly head again.

By Malcolm Armsteen
davidjay wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:37 pm
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:26 pm
It’ll be cumulative. Corrupt deals alone, maybe not. Their mates getting a huge wedge for nothing while Sunak tells you no more money so crack on with applying for till work in Asda will start to rile people.
But like unemployment in the eighties it still won't affect that many people. There night be three million unemployed, with maybe another six or seven million affected, but there's still five times that many who will be unaffected, so for them the government is absolutely wonderful and it's the workshy claimants who are the problem.
The same applied 1986-1997 - but we had a Labour landslide. What was different?
Meanwhile in America

Sad news. Didn't the Repubs prevent Obama appoi[…]

Michael Gove

https://twitter.com/room808/status/130687105930039[…]

The Tories, Generally

I'm reminded of a passage in one of the Flashman b[…]

Twat of the Day

I'm not sure if this should be here, but it's as g[…]