Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 45.2 % ❤ 2.6 % :thumbsup: 12.9 % 😯 4.9 % :grinning: 23.9 % 🧥 1.5 % 🙏 2.1 % 😟 0.8 % :cry: 5.7 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
As for the inspector not being a cop, there is an argument that getting someone from outside the organisation is a good thing, because they don't have any internal ties or ingrained attitudes
That’s a sound established idea but he’s a civilian trouble shooter not someone whose put his arse on the line for 30 years to protect the public. I don’t blame coppers for feeling insulted because it is an insult to hand this guy a senior rank uniform on a plate.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
A pendant writes:

The Constabularies of England and Wales, Police Scotland, and Police Service Northern Ireland *are* civilians. Just because they wear uniforms doesn't make them military. That role is fulfilled by the Royal Military Police, the Royal Navy Police and the Royal Air Force Police.

I really hate it when people talk about police and civilians when they're talking about the civilian police.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I really hate it when people talk about police and civilians when they're talking about the civilian police.

I understand the distinction. Being ‘a civilian’ or ‘a soldier’ is a piece of illustrative short hand many professions and trades use.

To use a different analogy does BA’s chief operating officer get to ponce around in a pilot’s uniform despite never having flown a plane?

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:16 am
As for the inspector not being a cop, there is an argument that getting someone from outside the organisation is a good thing, because they don't have any internal ties or ingrained attitudes
That’s a sound established idea but he’s a civilian trouble shooter not someone whose put his arse on the line for 30 years to protect the public. I don’t blame coppers for feeling insulted because it is an insult to hand this guy a senior rank uniform on a plate.
The Tories overreached like that under Major. Ken Clarke brought in Sir Patrick Sheehy, Chairman of BAT, to review structure. Clarke went off to be Chancellor and it landed on Michael Howard's desk, who had the good sense to disgregard most of it.

The silly thing is that it can't have been impossible to find a senior police officer to propose this stuff. Or maybe somebody not that senior who'd left the police to go into the private sector and done well.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Clarke’s always been a firm believer in holding the currency’s value as the long term benefits far outweigh the messy short term pain. Not a very popular view in this country despite all the nationalist fetishising about Sterling. Looking at Ireland’s progress since Euro membership I’m open to thinking that Clarke might be right.

By Bones McCoy
davidjay wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:19 pm
I can't think of any other politician whose reputation has been so enhanced since March than Nicola Sturgeon.
Jacinda Ardern of the Kiwis perhaps.
Arrowhead liked this

By davidjay
Bones McCoy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:57 am
davidjay wrote:
I can't think of any other politician whose reputation has been so enhanced since March than Nicola Sturgeon.
Yes, but she was highly-regarded anyway.

By Bones McCoy
davidjay wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:42 am
Bones McCoy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:57 am
davidjay wrote:
Yes, but she was highly-regarded anyway.
Good point, I missed the "enhanced".
No wonder I keep crashing all the computers.

By spoonman
davidjay wrote:
Probably Robbie Swann, the NI Health Minister.
The Tories, Generally

No it isn't. It's his job and duty to do those thi[…]

Meanwhile in America

Mitch McConnell will go down as one of the greates[…]

Boris Johnson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-546[…]

Labour, Generally.

That's the busiest part of the existing networ[…]